Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banjo ukulele quality

Default Banjo ukulele quality

Hi, just curious what are the differences between the mid level and higher level banjo ukuleles in terms of playability and sound.

For instance I tried a sidekick/duke ukulele and it was not right for me, felt clumsy in my hands and was harsh sounding (for my bad playing).

I have looked at the gold tone and deering at the mid level, and the mya moe as a better instrument, but I am used to evaluating instruments based on Tonewood, and some other things that are not as applicable I think to the banjo.

Thanks!

There are a couple of "mid-level" banjo ukes that you might look at: Waverly and Firefly. Either I believe are preferable to the heavy metal Asians you mentioned..............and are competitive price wise. The Mya-Moe (formerly Beansprout) is a high end, extremely well built great player. Perhaps the finest banjole on the market. Apples and oranges.
    Last edited by stevejfc; 07-28-2016 at 07:02 AM.

I believe the Deering Goodtime Banjo Ukuleles are made in the USA.

I have a resonated concert Lanikai and an open back tenor Gold Tone. The Lanikai is okay for strumming, but pretty quiet (for a banjolele) when finger picked. The Gold Tone is okay for both.

Their both nice, but I prefer real banjos.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I believe the Deering Goodtime Banjo Ukuleles are made in the USA.
    My apologies......you are correct. I was thinking of the Goldtone, Eddie Finn, Morgan Monroe varieties.

Depending on how you define "harsh," that may come with the territory with a banjo uke (although I prefer "brash"). Many banjo ukes have small (8") heads, which may exacerbate this by really emphasizing the treble tones-- this helps the banjo uke cut through the way it does, but it's not a tone for everyone. The Deering banjo uke, in addition to be extremely well-made, has a much larger head (11"), which gives it a fuller tone with more bass. While to my ear, it's not a "traditional" banjo uke tone (think George Formby), it still sounds great and may address your issue with harshness.

I have a Gold Tone BU-C, which I think is a good middle-of-road instrument; good tone, good construction, decent price. I also have a Ludwig Wendell Hall, which sounds amazing...but costs a tad more .

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    Depending on how you define "harsh," that may come with the territory with a banjo uke (although I prefer "brash"). Many banjo ukes have small (8") heads, which may exacerbate this by really emphasizing the treble tones-- this helps the banjo uke cut through the way it does, but it's not a tone for everyone. The Deering banjo uke, in addition to be extremely well-made, has a much larger head (11"), which gives it a fuller tone with more bass. While to my ear, it's not a "traditional" banjo uke tone (think George Formby), it still sounds great and may address your issue with harshness.

I have a Gold Tone BU-C, which I think is a good middle-of-road instrument; good tone, good construction, decent price. I also have a Ludwig Wendell Hall, which sounds amazing...but costs a tad more .
    I believe the Deering's head is 12"--very large . . .
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    There are a couple of "mid-level" banjo ukes that you might look at: Waverly and Firefly. Either I believe are preferable to the heavy metal Asians you mentioned..............and are competitive price wise. The Mya-Moe (formerly Beansprout) is a high end, extremely well built great player. Perhaps the finest banjole on the market. Apples and oranges.
    Firefly an intermediate banjo uke? I certainly wouldn't classify it as such. Re: heavy metal Asians, none of them are as heavy as a Beansprout, accessories being equal. Asian banjo ukes, with the right setup, velum, and strings can hold their own with those costing much more.

I guess by harsh I am thinking of the lack of fullness, or the aspect of a banjo ukulele that can make it sound more mechanical than a banjo does.

These are all helpful suggestions, it is sounding like the deering might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I believe the Deering's head is 12"--very large . . .
    I know nothing about banjos and banjoukes, so this is a good place to ask: Does a 12" head make the instrument substantially louder than a 8" one? Or is the main impact that the sound is fuller and deeper? Or both, like with, say, tenors vs. sopranos?

Thread Information