Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Goldtone Banjos

Default New Goldtone Banjos

Gold tone has come out with a new 5 string banjo with a composite body for $199. I suggested a short scale tenor banjo and they said they'd start working on a prototype. Lots of banjo ukers may jump on these, especially if they are 17 fret models.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Gold tone has come out with a new 5 string banjo with a composite body for $199. I suggested a short scale tenor banjo and they said they'd start working on a prototype. Lots of banjo ukers may jump on these, especially if they are 17 fret models.
    Something 4-string, in the 19-20" scale range would have me dive right in, however the typical 1.25" nut will likely be painful for me...since my intent has lots of chording involved as opposed to the typical noodling melody lines of a fifths-tuned instrument, sort of a chord-melody style if I ever get there first on ukulele...oh but to dream...

BTW Phil - thanks for the info

P.S.: what do you think of tuning/stringing a 5-string banjo re-entrant CGDAE with the 5th-peg being the re-entrant C (like a C3 or C4) and the rest being linear (from G2)?

A C2 or C1 requires such a fat string with lots of tension to intonate properly, so maybe it's worth it to jump an octave...or two..
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Don't know much about banjo tuning Booli. I'd contact Goldtone about making the nut wider if he wants to market it to ukers.

Link? Sounds like a good deal
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

WOW - that SOUNDS great - seems VERY bright to me, and like it would cut through the mix very well in a group ensemble performance
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thanks Phil. Good deal of it's only $200
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Should be quite a bit lighter than traditional ones. I emailed Goldtone and suggested a 1 3/8" nut if they want to market to ukers.

Lots of banjo ukers may jump on these, especially if they are 17 fret models.
    I think one of the bigger advantages of a banjouke over a banjo (of any scale) is that people can keep using the tuning they're used to. If I don't recall incorrectly, it was mentioned somewhere that this was also one of the reasons for various other hybrid instruments (but I may have misunderstood that part). From various forum discussions I got the impression that a lot of folks are very reluctant to deviate from the tuning they are accustomed to. I was in that boat once, too, but eventually a desire for better tone weakened my resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    I think one of the bigger advantages of a banjouke over a banjo (of any scale) is that people can keep using the tuning they're used to. If I don't recall incorrectly, it was mentioned somewhere that this was also one of the reasons for various other hybrid instruments (but I may have misunderstood that part). From various forum discussions I got the impression that a lot of folks are very reluctant to deviate from the tuning they are accustomed to. I was in that boat once, too, but eventually a desire for better tone weakened my resistance.
    That's true about folk being reluctant to retune. I've gone the other way. Am so used to fifths that the ukes get tuned that way, too.

Am seriously looking at that banjo, but "alternative tuning" would probably occur.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thread Information