Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Sheets

Ok well i should have said, chord chart but didn't know it was called that. Now I know. Thanks for your help.

Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by AndieZ View Post
    I just picked up the terminology for this post from a website i had just been looking at which referred to a chord and lyrics page as a lead sheet. Maybe its the wrong terminology. If it is, i am not sure what i should have called it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Beginners like myself can't hear "bars". I suggest only expert musicians can here bars or at least people who've been at it for quite a while.

Anyway, I think i'll close this thread because the question has been properly answered above.
    Well, depends on the rhythm how difficult it is. If the song is in 4/4 with a not too fancy instrumentation and lyrics where the chords change, it can be quite doable without expert knowledge.

Put the music on. Try to identify a couple of "1" beats, and tap you feet to the music while counting "1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ..." in your head. You can tap your left foot on "1" and "3", your right one on "2" and "4", while shifting yout weight a little back and fourth to feel the rhythm and remember where you are at. Every time you count to 4, that is a bar. I usually count the bars on my fingers so I won't need to have them in my head along with the listening.

If the chords change at a point where there are no lyrics, it is not that easy, and you need to hear when the chord changes. Not always straigth forward, especially if there are many changes, but easier than identifying which chords are being played. Oh, don't ask me to identify a chord! I am not a musical expert in any way.
    But the number of bars between the chord changes that you can identify by the lyrics being sung when it happens, that "only" requires that you can find the right feet-tapping rhythm, not that you can hear the notes and chords played.

I am not saying that it is not cumbersome. When I do it, I pause and rewind the music all the time to try again. And some music has a tricky beat I can't figure out. But for many songs you can get far.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Tommy Emmanuel the great guitarist, learns the tunes by the melody and the lyric sentences, rather than bars, according to his method book.
    Perhaps the lyric and chord format thingy works so well because the human brain can remember the melody line with the words so it does not have to be written down?
    If you are using the lyric and chord thingy (LACT) format or other written and audio material to get ready for a performance these are the steps recommended by Tommy (summarised)
    Listen to the CD
    Make a practice tape, especially of the harder parts in slow speed. Also repeat the harder parts a few times on the tape.
    Learn each line of the melody. Not the bars.
    Break the tune into bite size chinks.
    Memorise the tune as you learn it.
    Tap your foot to keep time, when you first learn the tune tap your foot evenly in time throughout the piece,
    Play the hard bits in the same timing as the rest of the piece.
    On subsequent days, don't go over the whole tune time and time again, after a warm up, put some intensive practice into the hard bits and move on to the next chunk of tune.
    When you have learnt the whole tune you should try to sing the melody or words in the back of your mind as you play.
    Try to play music not notes
    You have to search for the best way to play the tune.
    Tastefully embellish the tune. Make the tune your own.
    Use full chord shapes.
    Pivot fingers.
    There is no secret, the longer you play, the better you will play.
    It helps a lot to have a good teacher.

Thread closed at user request.

Thread Information