Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low tension, low G Tenor Strings

I second the black line low g. Have them on tk1, and really like them.
    Chainyanker

South coast LL-NW would be very low tension. LML-NW is still on the low side of center so might be low enough.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJazz2000 View Post
    I had some work done on the nut a while back and to my eyes and fingers, the action seems ok. I believe the problem is string tension.
    Taking "tone" out of the equation, I'd take a look at these two sentences and focus on confirming your root cause first. Otherwise, one possibility is you find yourself chasing rabbits, which can be avoided.

Just for conversation, "playability" has variables involved before string tension, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems only the nut has been touched, to address action. . .
    On another note, I can usually get lower action with high tension strings, Savarez 500J/540J series or D'Addario T46 trebles/ Aranjuez 600 low G to be specific.
    Last edited by Kekani; 07-31-2016 at 11:45 PM.

I have the Freemont LowG Black Line on my tenor. I have no experience with other brands however as I am happy. I just bought another set as a spare, $11.95 Canadian dollars plus tax. I am still very satisfied with the feel and sound, of course I set up the nut and saddle on my ukuleles myself to suit my playing style because I am fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Taking "tone" out of the equation, I'd take a look at these two sentences and focus on confirming your root cause first. Otherwise, one possibility is you find yourself chasing rabbits, which can be avoided.

Just for conversation, "playability" has variables involved before string tension, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems only the nut has been touched, to address action. . .
    On another note, I can usually get lower action with high tension strings, Savarez 500J/540J series or D'Addario T46 trebles/ Aranjuez 600 low G to be specific.
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you mentioning other variables I should be noticing. When I said "playability," I meant specifically the ease and comfort with which I can play. I have a number of reentrant-tuned concerts and sopranos, all with Aquilas, like the original sets when bought, except a Mexican Martin which has its original Martin strings of a noticeably lighter gauge. All of these are easy and comfortable to play. The linear-tuned tenor however, hurts my fingers to play. Period. The strings are not too high to press down to play, but they feel too taught to hold down comfortably. I've played steel-strung guitars, acoustic and electric, in all gauges, for over 50 years. I've tweaked nuts and bridges to get the feel I wanted. But honestly until I started playing ukulele and "nylon" strings, I never gave a moment's thought to string tension. I was aware that classical guitar strings were sold by tension as well as gauge, but since I didn't play them, I never payed attention. I'm pretty sure I would get better results with lower tension.

As you imply, tone is another issue. I'm hopeful lower tension strings will adequately drive the solid-wood box. In any event, the tone stinks now so I don't expect to worse off.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and ideas. I'm going to check out the string suggestions. I post at several music-related forums and the members here are the most generous and helpful anywhere.

Joe

On EDIT: Thanks again to all. I'm trying the Southcoast LL-NW set. I've noted all the suggestions, and may also try others as well. They all look interesting.
    Last edited by JoeJazz2000; 08-09-2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    South coast LL-NW would be very low tension. LML-NW is still on the low side of center so might be low enough.
    Thanks, Jim. I just put a set of the LL-NWs on, and I'm stretching them to hold pitch, waiting for them to settle in. For the few seconds they currently stay in tune, they feel good under my fingers and sound pleasing. I had a little trouble tying the first and second strings on to the bridge because the strings were so thin. I added another loop to the knot and held the excess with pliers while tightening them up and they held in just fine. With any luck at all, this may be just what I needed.
    JOe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJazz2000 View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I just put a set of the LL-NWs on, and I'm stretching them to hold pitch, waiting for them to settle in. For the few seconds they currently stay in tune, they feel good under my fingers and sound pleasing. I had a little trouble tying the first and second strings on to the bridge because the strings were so thin. I added another loop to the knot and held the excess with pliers while tightening them up and they held in just fine. With any luck at all, this may be just what I needed.
    JOe
    This is a great solution for tying your strings to the bridge. I put them on all my ukes. Especially good if you swap out low and high g on one uke or you are doing lots of string changes. I have several "used" string sets that I can still use because I can just re-loop them through the bridge bead.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Diamo.../dp/B00HB8TOPG

either get rid of the low G or drop the turning a half step or two.. it will be a sweeter tone and improve playability as the string tension drops as well. good luck, Happy strummings
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Thread Information