Experiences with customs

My # 1 reason for not wanting the name of the builder shared is that the person who had the bad experience isn't comfortable with sharing the name. I respect that person's right to make that judgement call.

if you have been on the UU for awhile now...you know who the builders are on the post not listing the builders name...I buy my ukes because of the builders...I am lucky to have met most of them in person and try to ask questions and see if I feel comfortable with them and can trust them before I work with them, some want to get to know you before they build for you...it goes both ways

I was going to have a uke built by the person Jan1940 is talking about...but too many stories on no answered emails and not delivering on time etc. made up my mind not to order....

made a couple mistakes on the way(ukes are gone now) but overall happy with what I ended up with....

Last edited:
My # 1 reason for not wanting the name of the builder shared is that the person who had the bad experience isn't comfortable with sharing the name. I respect that person's right to make that judgement call.

Totally agree with you, it's up to everyone to decide for themselves!

Haven't been on UU awhile but this topic interests me because I've learned a lot in my five years of playing. This is just my list so if you totally disagree, it's all good.

#1) Play before buying...not realistic for most so go to #2. Also, play a recent build as builder improve over time.
#2) Ask how many ukes they've built. I remember a retired wood worker teacher getting a lot of hype because he made them look good. Lot of hype which leads to #3
#3) Stay away from ice cream...Reminds me of Baskins Robbins Flavor of the Month as there's a lot of hype for a certain builder and then it switches to another person.
#4) Have realistic expectations within price point. Opportunity cost...I would most likely get a K brand over a custom uke in the same price point
#5) Find a reviewer with similar tastes. I know on UU, there are tons of opinions but I only trust a few because I know their tastes are similar. Ask how many customs they have, what ukes they've played. Also, it helps to hear sound samples from the reviewer as well.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Mivo here, I get the sentiment of no name and shame but still, we look after each other here do we not?

Everyone can have a bad day and we should never jump the gun and prematurely judge someone, but if you tried to resolve a problem with the builder and he or she repeatedly flatout ignored you, or perhaps even was rude, then I think by all means you could share.

I'm not sure that the way I was treated falls into the category of rude. Here's the short version: I noticed an issue, called the builder, and stated the problem, after both my ukulele instructor and my local luthier had independently of each other confirmed that it was the uke and not me. But over the phone, the builder strongly suggested my technique was to blame - mind you, having never seen or heard me play - and didn't offer to fix it or to pay for me to ship it back to him or anything.

Since I was at the time happy with everything else about the uke, my local luthier was kind enough to do what he could (gratis) to minimize the issue, but after spending a long time with it he still could only do so much. Fair enough. I called the builder again, who was scheduled to be travelling nearby soon, and asked if I could meet up with him to show him in person that it was the uke and not my technique.

I then took a day off from work, drove 50+ miles to where he was expected to be, and when I got there, one of his associates told me that he had some issue come up and wouldn't be there until the next day. The builder never even bothered to call me himself, to save me the drive, to apologize - nothing. It was just lousy customer service all around - blame the customer for a problem rather than take responsibility, and then be so self-important that in this day and age of smartphones you can't even make a phonecall or send a text or email. At that point I was done. Time to cut my losses and move on.

As for naming names - I still firmly believe this was an isolated incident, but one that left me with incredibly bad feelings. I have no idea what the builder may have been going through personally at the time, but I do know that he has some much higher-profile clients than myself and never seemed to lack time or interest for them. I just felt as if I was dismissed as a nobody. Which, hey, in the uke world I am - I don't play out or go to festivals or any if that, and from a business point of view - sure, the builder should support his clients who do those things, as it helps spread the word about his work. It's called "marketing" :)

So - all of this was so much more about how the experience made me feel, rather than the actual uke itself.

I think that it comes down to expectations.

Doesn't everything in life?? :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the way I was treated falls into the category of rude. Here's the short version: I noticed an issue, called the builder, and stated the problem, after both my ukulele instructor and my local luthier had independently of each other confirmed that it was the uke and not me. But over the phone, the builder strongly suggested my technique was to blame - mind you, having never seen or heard me play - and didn't offer to fix it or to pay for me to ship it back to him or anything.

Since I was at the time happy with everything else about the uke, my local luthier was kind enough to do what he could (gratis) to minimize the issue, but after spending a long time with it he still could only do so much. Fair enough. I called the builder again, who was scheduled to be travelling nearby soon, and asked if I could meet up with him to show him in person that it was the uke and not my technique.

I then took a day off from work, drove 50+ miles to where he was expected to be, and when I got there, one of his associates told me that he had some issue come up and wouldn't be there until the next day. The builder never even bothered to call me himself, to save me the drive, to apologize - nothing. It was just lousy customer service all around - blame the customer for a problem rather than take responsibility, and then be so self-important that in this day and age of smartphones you can't even make a phonecall or send a text or email. At that point I was done. Time to cut my losses and move on.

As for naming names - I still firmly believe this was an isolated incident, but one that left me with incredibly bad feelings. I have no idea what the builder may have been going through personally at the time, but I do know that he has some much higher-profile clients than myself and never seemed to lack time or interest for them. I just felt as if I was dismissed as a nobody. Which, hey, in the uke world I am - I don't play out or go to festivals or any if that, and from a business point of view - sure, the builder should support his clients who do those things, as it helps spread the word about his work. It's called "marketing" :)

So - all of this was so much more about how the experience made me feel, rather than the actual uke itself.

I'm sorry for your bad experience Jane, but I know you're superhappy with your current ukes :D, so in the end it turned out well! Totally respect that you dont want to share the builder, let's hope it was an isolated event just as you say :).

I have no idea what the builder may have been going through personally at the time, but I do know that he has some much higher-profile clients than myself and never seemed to lack time or interest for them. I just felt as if I was dismissed as a nobody. Which, hey, in the uke world I am - I don't play out or go to festivals or any if that, and from a business point of view - sure, the builder should support his clients who do those things, as it helps spread the word about his work. It's called "marketing" :)

See, knowing your story, and knowing which builder that was, did affect how I feel about this particular luthier, so your experience does matter even though you may not think of yourself as a high profile player. You're one of the people on here whose views I often find myself agreeing with, and that alone makes me value your input much more than the endorsement of a public celebrity. Not only because endorsements are a product that can be purchased, but also because when you speak positively of something, I can put it into the context of knowing a little what you like and dislike ukulele-wise. With a celebrity, I really can't, because I have never discussed anything with them or seen them talk freely about what they like and dislike (I look at interviews with celebrities as a promotional activity). I believe that word of mouth is ultimately more powerful than what a celebrity is playing (or gushing about).

But I do understand and respect that people are reluctant to name names. Besides the potential for conflict and the arguments from fans of the same luthier, it's just really awkward to criticize people who make their living in this relatively small field, unless the dissatisfaction is so substantial that not warning others would be somewhat irresponsible. But that wasn't the case here, and like I said, I both understand and respect why someone might not want to mention names. The story in itself is still valuable, and really boils down to trying before buying whenever it is feasible.

That strikes me as very rude, since you gave up a day of work, drove a distance, and no one bothered to tell you he wouldn't be there. But, you're kind enough to keep in mind that there may have been a personal issue, and that this might not be typical. You must have a kind heart.

IMO, every client should be important, whether we're a "name", or never play anywhere other than our couch at home.

I'm more likely to value the opinion of someone like you, rather than some celebrity, since you're probably a bit more like me than the well-known person. And, the higher profile person may have a contract with the builder, and receive a free or special ukulele, vs. it really be the ukulele of their dreams.

I do want to complain that you keep making me want a Kamaka, though. LOL. But, that's a different topic. I am still intrigued by the Ohta San, (though I know that's not what you're currently playing), but just haven't yet made the decision to go for it. Mim's website still has that one listed.... I just wish I could try it first. Oh, well.

See, your opinion does have impact. :)

Yes, and I'm not saying that your expectations were not realistic. In fact, I think that the reason that many people buy customs is because they have expectations and much of the custom ukulele experience is conveying those expectations to the builder, and then having them realized. That is what custom built means. If a builder can not understand a customer's expectations and then provide something that reflects those expectations, then they are not a builder of custom ukuleles, they are just a builder of ukuleles. So I can understand you disappointment when your expectations, both with the uke and of the builder, were not realized.

Last edited:
Overall I've had it pretty good with my customs. My only issue has been buying too many! I currently have five ukes, four of which are custom builds, one of those customs could be considered semi custom as it was pre built and I happen to buy it off him.

The best part about my custom experiences has been the direct communication with the builder and establishing a very quality relationship. I've only sold one custom, my first one a covered bridge, but it was a nice valued instrument and Terry is a standup guy.

I bought my Jerry Hoffmann ML, and having never played one, relied on HMS sound clips, UU reviews, and reading jerrys posts here on UU. So impressed with the uke and whole process which was 2-3 months ended up getting another one. My Mya moe while somewhat of a wait was an excellent process of which is well documented here, and Les stansell has gone above and beyond for me, helping me out with my schools uke program and some of my private uke students as well. My only regret is that I don't get to spend as much time with each one as I would want, my current playing time is dominated mostly by my ML tenor though the Koaloha has been creeping into that heavily.

Speaking of which, the Koaloha is as high quality in all aspects of any of my custom ukes and would consider it on equal terms of caliber of instrument as my customs. A custom doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be significantly better than a K brand "factory" made instrument, but a custom can help tailor to a specific sound signature and feel of playability you may be looking for.

In regards to being shrugged off by a luthier, I had a very similar experience with a luthier here in Los Angeles whom I had been using for setups and install of preamps/pickups. He tended to be slow, taking 4-5 weeks just for a setup, but whenever I went to his place, we had good camaraderie and discussions. I decided to have him modify my first solid body bass uke, so I sat down with him and went over the changes; cut down the two horns, refinish the stumps, refinish the head plate to match the body and make two small pick guards. He said it would cost about $300, but he's a little busy and would get back to me with a time frame.

About six weeks later I emailed him, but he didn't reply. A week later I dropped by his shop, but he wasn't there, only his assistant, who told me the head plate is almost done and the rest would be started in a few day, the boss would get back to me. A month went by with no word, so I emailed him. He finally replied after a few days that he's been very busy and would get back to me soon. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and waited, and waited, and waited, six more months. By then my patience wore thin and I emailed him that if he can't get it done, I would find someone else. He immediately replied that he will have it done in two weeks. On that day, a Friday, I emailed him and he replied late in the evening with an excuse that he was having some home remodeling done and it would be another two weeks. I replied no, I'm coming Monday to pick it up.

When I get there Monday morning, he brings it out and it's done, he spent Saturday and Sunday, two days, to do the work he couldn't do in seven months. Turns out he was constantly putting aside my job for his "more important" clients like Rick Springfield. His excuse was that I had another bass I could use in the mean time. Not only that, he did a bad job cutting down the horns, the edges were uneven, and the finish did not match, the body is matt but the horn stumps are glossy. When he saw how disappointed I was, he said he'll only take $150. I just wanted to be done with the situation, so I paid him. As I walked out, he said he's really sorry and it will never happen again. I said to him thanks, but I said to myself, he's absolutely right because I'll never use him again.

Since then I found a great guy, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys who is excellent, does great work and very fast, for a fair price. He's done three of my bass ukes, and I'm actually going to have him make a new body for the one the other guy botched.

Sorry about going off on a tangent here, haven't vented on this in quite a while.

I just wanted to share a story which is kind of the opposite of Jane's. Although I felt it was time for me to consider a custom, I was still worried about how I would interact with any particular brand. I actually flew from Oahu to another island to meet a luthier and try the ukes, and was lucky enough to try a whole mess of customs at a friend's house.

Long story short, I came across a used uke by a vendor I was interested in, and, even though it was not the wood I normally like, I snapped it up at a good price. Pretty much every time I played it, I liked it more. I mentioned this in a posting here on UU, and the company exec contacted me just to thank me and invited me to meet him and the luthier. This led to a great afternoon, and some surprising co-incidences. (It turns out he used to own the Collings tenor that I bought used a year earlier)

My custom is due in the next month or two, and I am fully confident in not only getting a great uke, but delighted with the customer service.

And I don't feel bad sharing the name - the luthier is John Kinnard, and the exec is Kevin Beddoe. Great guys!

I haven't had time to read all the posts but some of 'em hit home. Mine was a bad experience unfortunately. I did tons of research and picked a builder a few years ago. Everything went very well until I received the ukulele. This was a very expensive piece for my budget. It's been so long that I can barely remember the price but it was somewhere around 1,500 I think. Anyway, I know that custom built are going to have some minor makers marks but the marks on my uke were so "look at me!" and....so fixable! Easy to fix and it should have never been sent to me. Now, the uke sounded beautiful and was just as I had hoped it would be. When I contacted them they had NO intention of fixing the problem. I was flabbergasted! Why? The uke was sent back, I paid the shipping. I was very disappointed and sad ):

Dan is really speaking the truth. I've bought from a number of new kids on the block, and sometimes they're great, sometimes they're not. But when it comes to your hard earned dollars, tough to end up with a uke that's hard to resell and that you don't bond with.... All this is so subjective too--don't forget that--so Dan's advice about finding someone with similar tastes is important. I had a local luthier make me a baritone--I think it's great, but Andrew of HMS thought it was just ok--I trust him more than me, but i'm stuck with me!

Haven't been on UU awhile but this topic interests me because I've learned a lot in my five years of playing. This is just my list so if you totally disagree, it's all good.

#1) Play before buying...not realistic for most so go to #2. Also, play a recent build as builder improve over time.
#2) Ask how many ukes they've built. I remember a retired wood worker teacher getting a lot of hype because he made them look good. Lot of hype which leads to #3
#3) Stay away from ice cream...Reminds me of Baskins Robbins Flavor of the Month as there's a lot of hype for a certain builder and then it switches to another person.
#4) Have realistic expectations within price point. Opportunity cost...I would most likely get a K brand over a custom uke in the same price point
#5) Find a reviewer with similar tastes. I know on UU, there are tons of opinions but I only trust a few because I know their tastes are similar. Ask how many customs they have, what ukes they've played. Also, it helps to hear sound samples from the reviewer as well.

I had a local luthier make me a baritone--I think it's great, but Andrew of HMS thought it was just ok--I trust him more than me, but i'm stuck with me!

IMO, the only opinion that matters is yours, since you're the one playing it. I'm glad that you think it's great.

And I don't feel bad sharing the name - the luthier is John Kinnard, and the exec is Kevin Beddoe. Great guys!

I don't think anyone would have a problem with sharing names when talking about good experiences. So far, Kinnard is the most appealing ukulele to me, so I'm happy to hear about your great experience.

Sharing names if there was a bad experience might be uncomfortable for some, and I wouldn't want to see someone feeling pushed to reveal a name, (which hasn't happened, so the good people at UU come through again.)

Anyway, I know that custom built are going to have some minor makers marks but the marks on my uke were so "look at me!" and....so fixable! Easy to fix and it should have never been sent to me. Now, the uke sounded beautiful and was just as I had hoped it would be. When I contacted them they had NO intention of fixing the problem. I was flabbergasted! Why? The uke was sent back, I paid the shipping. I was very disappointed and sad ):

Sorry to hear of the bad experience. Too bad that you had to send back a great sounding ukulele because they wouldn't fix the problem, (and sent it out that way.) So you lost out on a potentially great ukulele, as well as shipping costs. That doesn't seem right.

For me, the problem with a custom build is that you can specify everything except the tone. And, unfortunately, tone is the most important spec of all...

For me, the problem with a custom build is that you can specify everything except the tone. And, unfortunately, tone is the most important spec of all...

Isn't there some consistency for a known builder, though? Woods will make a difference, but some of the builders seem to have a particular sound to their builds.

When I get there Monday morning, he brings it out and it's done, he spent Saturday and Sunday, two days, to do the work he couldn't do in seven months. Turns out he was constantly putting aside my job for his "more important" clients like Rick Springfield.

You were very patient, and sadly not well rewarded for your patience.
Personally, I think that anyone on UU is more important than Rick Springfield. :) (Rick, if you're reading this, then, uh, sorry.)

I've had two awesome and one horrible experience with custom ukuleles. The bad experience taught me some valuable lessons. I ordered from a small builder who I couldn't find much information about on the forum. Being quite naive, I paid the full price for the build up front. My money was walked away with and the builder didn't return any communication for several months. After consulting with a few forum members here, I contacted the builder saying I would take legal action if the uke wasn't built within X amount of time. I then received a sloppily made uke, which I promptly returned. My refund was sent back to me in timed installments because the builder didn't have enough money, and I later saw the uke on a popular secondhand site being sold at a higher price.

The valuable lessons I think should be followed in a custom order are:
1) Find a luthier who's a good fit for the uke you want to build. Don't work outside your or your luthier's comfort zones. The best result will come from ideas that you're both happy with.
2) Never pay in full up front. A deposit is common and expected, with the balance due once the instrument is completed.
3) Research the luthier before ordering. Ask respected players for their opinion on the person's work and integrity. I made this mistake with my bad custom experience.
4) Work within the comfort of your budget. I feel that expectations are a lot higher, and the chance for buyer's remorse is a lot higher, when you stretch your budget beyond reason. There's that extra expectation for the instrument to be absolutely perfect.
5) Finally, understand and accept that the custom you order *will* be different than you envisioned. The differences may be barely perceptible or may be huge. For instance, the instrument may feel different in your hands, the wood might look darker than it did in the pictures, or maybe the tone is different from what you pictured or were hoping for. This doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think it's common to develop a very vivid picture in your mind of exactly how your uke will be during the months it's being built. Once the instrument is done, it's always at least slightly different, but that is normal and something to be celebrated rather than despaired over. As others have said, it's about expectations.

Top Bottom