Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable custom ukulele makers.

Default Affordable custom ukulele makers.

Hello UU users!

I'm looking for a maker that makes more affordable custom tenor ukulele that is around or below the 1000 dollar range.

If you have any suggestions could you tell me please?

Thank you so much!

Where are you and what size ukulele do you want. EDIT: OK you want a Tenor. I've bought a custom Tenor in Canberra for less that $1000 but that may not help you

Anthony

Look for a second hand custom. The market is soft and good deals abound. I say this because the wait time on custom ukes can be months or even years.
    I would post a WTB: Custom Tenor thread in the marketplace and specify your location and wood desires.

There is one for sale in the marketplace right now. The builder is Covered Bridge and they are very well received and respected around here. If you don't like the one they have posted for sale here you can naturally order one to your exact specifications, which is a huge part of the fun of getting a custom
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

You can see and hear a number of Covered Bridge ukuleles at https://www.youtube.com/user/Covered...ukulele/videos --and they also have a Facebook page, which shows builds in progress.

I bought a used CB in February, and now am waiting for a new custom from them. You can easily stay under $1,000 -- in fact, I'm not sure if it's possible to get to four figures, unless you asked them to stuff some cash in the sound hole.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) • Godin MultiUke • Pono spruce/acacia baritone AB-SP • Pono mahogany baritone w/Pono PU • Kala spruce top "travel" baritone • Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) • Ohana laminate tenor • Islander laminate maple concert • Kala longneck soprano laminate • 13 Makala Dolphins/Sharks • 1 Mahalo soprano • my daughter's abandoned Flea

Covered Bridge is worth checking out (I had a lovely western red cedar/walnut one). They're neck profile is on the chunkier side, just so you know.

Ono Ukulele is another to check out as he is right about $1,000 before adding options. I have a 16" alaskan yellow cedar/myrtle concert that I love. He does great work for the price point and consistently makes outstanding looking ukes. big fan here.

I would also check out the Kala Elite series. Their Series 1 is in your target range. Really nice values.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Depends on what you mean by "custom" too. Some others to consider would include Loprinzi, Sailor Brand, and Spruce House. Also Cocobolo Ukuleles although they are kind of "unobtainium" right now and not even taking "custom" orders . There's also Bruce Wei.

But I agree with others that you can't go wrong with Covered Bridge here.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

In the "Experiences with customs" thread, kohanmike mentioned the customs from Bruce Wei Arts. Prices are < $1,000 (seems like quite a bit less), and kohanmike seems very happy with the custom ukuleles that were made for him.

(I have no experience with Bruce Wei Arts myself.)

The thread is here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...s-with-customs

My Barron River Tenor was $1200 AUD, which was around a grand in US dollars. Not checked exchange rates lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    My Barron River Tenor was $1200 AUD, which was around a grand in US dollars. Not checked exchange rates lately.
    They're $1600 AUD now. Same with Wise ukuleles.

Anthony

Thread Information