Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strings for KoAloha Concert?

The PHD's work great on the concert. Living Waters are also nice,........with a warmer more mellow tone.

I have worth clears on mine, sounds good to me !
    "A yawn is a desperate, silent scream for coffee."

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

The KoAlana series (KoAloha's all-laminate) come with D'Addario Titaniums standard. I'm using Seaguar fishing line on my concert, and they work great. If you want to go brand name, I'd bet Living Waters or Worth clears would be mighty fine, too.
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1 • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    My info came from Andreas David, who sells KoAloha ukuleles over here. I can't tell any difference between the factory strings my two KoAlohas came with and the Worth CM strings concerning sound, feel, and diameter, so the info given to me seemed credible.
    Sounds good. My info was direct from Koaloha, Brian to be exact and confirmed by pops. If one wants to be exact they can order from Koaloha directly. For all purposes, they look and feel very similar to other fluorocarbons.
    Koaloha Tenor 2016
    Hoffman ML ebony/red spruce tenor
    Mya-Moe redwood/walnut tenor
    Stansell Myrtle and POC flamenco baritone
    Hoffmann A style cedar maple tenor

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like I'm going to order a set of Worth CMs and possibly a set of PHDs. I already have the Worth CM strings on a Mainland Pineapple right now and I like them there, so I'll probably be happy with them on my KoAloha.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    That's what I used when I had mine. Loved 'em.

I've got Worth clear low G on one Koaloha Concert and Worth brown low G on another. They both sound spectacular. But, the browns are mellower and the clears are louder and brighter. I like loud and bright for playing at a jam and I like the mellow browns for playing at home. I am VERY happy with them both.

I've read all the fishing line threads here on UU, even experimented with some, and I would assume that all uke strings are fishing line repackaged. If Koaloha has figured out the formula (or were clued in) to which gauge works for which string and are using fishing line, right on.

But ya know, every time I buy Worth strings, the package has so much Koaloha info on it, you'd think they made the strings.

P.s., the Okami's are wonderful people. Where else could you find the owner of a company telling people on the factory tour that they just use fishing line?! Lol!
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

Thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in. I string mine with Worth CLs. I found they are closer to the original strings than CMs. They're easier on the fingers too and produce a lovely sound.

Reviving this thread for an update.

A couple of months ago, I changed the strings on my KoAloha Concert ukulele. I installed a set of Southcoast "Soft Light Medium" strings and tuned it up. It took at least two weeks before the tuning was holding, but they sounded OK.

Over time, I found myself picking up that uke less and less frequently. I wasn't sure why, but I was even thinking about selling it. It finally came to me that it wasn't the ukulele that was the problem, or me that was the problem, but maybe it was the strings that was the problem! I had a set of "plain vanilla" Martin M600 strings laying around that I kept for a backup set, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I switched the strings to the Martins, tuned them up, and started playing. Wow! There was the KoAloha that I knew and loved. They sound great, and were easily holding tuning after only a couple of days.

So, boys and girls, the moral of the story is if you don't like the sound of your ukulele, try a different set of strings!
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    That's what I used. I loved the sound. But it is quite bright.

Thread Information