Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enya X1 ukulele

Default Enya X1 ukulele

Hello there,

any thoughts on this? I am actually considering taking the risk.

http://www.banggood.com/Enya-X1-23-2...p-1068730.html

My two spontaneous thoughts: I'm not sure I'd buy from a site called "bang good", and second, unless I missed it, it doesn't say solid koa or rosewood, so it's probably a full laminate. I didn't watch the video, though.

They say 1mm thin high pressure laminate. Youtube sound-samples seem good.

That's pretty much an unknown brand here on UU, AFAIK, and the prices it's showing $119-134 is not any cheaper than a laminate tenor or concert uke from Lanikai, Kohala, Luna, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, Gretsch and maybe even a dozen other well known brand names...

Does not mean it's bad, but you will not have the experience of previous buyers to guide you if it's crap or not.

Are you a gambler? If so then, be all means, roll the dice...

If it were me, I'd chose both a different brand as well as different seller, Amazon even (shudders) or one of the UK shops, being from the USA I know nothing of music shops for the Czech Republic...

Another problem is that 99% of the time, the uke you get from an Asain factory assembly line will require some setup which you are likely not going to get from a company like this.

Shops in the USA that do a setup are Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes, (and a few others).

I'm pretty sure that Hawaii Music Supply ships worldwide for a very reasonable rate and last I say they had laminate concert and tenor ukes in this price range, plus you get their expert setup, and if the instrument is bad, they just will refuse to sell it. Andrew Kitakis (the owner) is an active member here on UU.

No, I do NOT work for them, nor am I compensated in any way for telling you this infor, I'm just sharing what I've experienced first-hand as a customer.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    That's pretty much an unknown brand here on UU, AFAIK, and the prices it's showing $119-134 is not any cheaper than a laminate tenor or concert uke from Lanikai, Kohala, Luna, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, Gretsch and maybe even a dozen other well known brand names...

Does not mean it's bad, but you will not have the experience of previous buyers to guide you if it's crap or not.

Are you a gambler? If so then, be all means, roll the dice...

If it were me, I'd chose both a different brand as well as different seller, Amazon even (shudders) or one of the UK shops, being from the USA I know nothing of music shops for the Czech Republic...

Another problem is that 99% of the time, the uke you get from an Asain factory assembly line will require some setup which you are likely not going to get from a company like this.

Shops in the USA that do a setup are Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes, (and a few others).

I'm pretty sure that Hawaii Music Supply ships worldwide for a very reasonable rate and last I say they had laminate concert and tenor ukes in this price range, plus you get their expert setup, and if the instrument is bad, they just will refuse to sell it. Andrew Kitakis (the owner) is an active member here on UU.

No, I do NOT work for them, nor am I compensated in any way for telling you this infor, I'm just sharing what I've experienced first-hand as a customer.
    I set up all of my ukes and guitars to my liking. I like banggood but I know there will be no quality check of the instruments. The price is banging and the uke looks very nice. The idea of ultrathin laminate for the money looks like bargain to me if the particular piece is built fine and that's the biggest question. I may actually gamble it for once :P...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-NPKnEQ9M

Quote Originally Posted by Jerwin View Post
    I set up all of my ukes and guitars to my liking. I like banggood but I know there will be no quality check of the instruments. The price is banging and the uke looks very nice. The idea of ultrathin laminate for the money looks like bargain to me if the particular piece is built fine and that's the biggest question. I may actually gamble it for once :P...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-NPKnEQ9M
    Just to be clear, by setup I am talking about compensation at the nut and saddle to correct both intonation issues and string action and/or buzzing, as well as filing rough fret edges and leveling and re-crowning the frets as necessary...

is this the same setup that you are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerwin View Post
    Also, in this video, (as a sound engineer) I can tell you that the audio is VERY heavily compressed (like a 20:1 ratio, which is considered extreme) and seems to be completely lacking in dynamic range, which is evident in that there are no SOFT parts or LOUD parts during the song, which is a natural part of acoustic energy, whether produced from an instrument or a human voice, and as SUCH, the sound here is not the organic sound that this instrument generates, but most folks dont care or dont understand why this is important, but just be aware of the fact that the sound you hear in this video is PROCESSED and likely to NOT be the same as this uke in your hands with your own ears.

I have pro studio monitors on my computer, and thus can hear subtle changes, but if you are using earbuds, a cel phone, tablet or laptop speakers to hear the sound, likely you will simply not be able to tell the different due to the physical limitations of such tiny speaker elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Just to be clear, by setup I am talking about compensation at the nut and saddle to correct both intonation issues and string action and/or buzzing, as well as filing rough fret edges and leveling and re-crowning the frets as necessary...

is this the same setup that you are doing?
    Yes. that's what I mean.

I know the sound wont be the same but look up for more videos. This sounds more like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaTnW6sFVI

Jerwin,
    Looks very interesting. The HPL in tenor is very interesting. The neck attachment is also unique and likely fits with this build of ukulele. Sound sample was clear but lacked dynamics as mentioned bit that could be recording technique. It's not going to sound like a solid wood Uke but I certainly didn't mind it and the benefits of HPL with its durability is a plus. At the price it's not a huge gamble. I'd like to hear more and get a review if you decide to take the plunge. I'm tempted. If I could hold and play it I'd know in minutes if I liked it. I have a walnut fluke for car/beach and my first impression is that this would do the same thing very well. Please post review if you get one. My .02 cents worth

I mean...it comes with maracas, how can you pass it up?!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Thread Information