Advice on holding position

Oolongtea

Reaction score
Hi! I've been having some difficulties holding my concert size ukulele, and I was wondering if any of you had some advice to give me.

I usually play sitting down with my ukulele balancing on my lap, my right forearm holds the uke body against me, and my left hand supports the neck. nothing fancy here..

My main problem is that the neck always falls downwards, no matter the "grip" with my right forearm. This is especially annoying for fingerpicking which I try to play with the thumb behind the neck, or chord changes where I have to stop supporting the neck with my left hand directly underneath for an instant.

The grip with my forearm seems to be the issue, but if I tighten it a little bit, the uke rotates outwards 90° (obviously that doesn't solve anything ;) )

In all the video tutorials I watched, the uke does not seem to move around that much.. Do you have any pointers?

Before anyone mentions using a strap, I am planning on buying one soon. However, in this thread I really want to discuss how to play less awkwardly without one. :)

I usually play sitting down with my ukulele balancing on my lap, my right forearm holds the uke body against me, and my left hand supports the neck. nothing fancy here..

I hold my soprano with my lap. I don't hold it by my hands when sitting.

I am one of the majority that does not feel a strap is necessary. That being said, I checked out several tutorials on left hand technique on youtube. While they focus on left hand technique, they do not focus on the subtle and nearly unnoticeable techniques they use to support the neck while fretting. Most of the time, the neck is easily supported by the fretting hand while fingering chords. When playing awkward chords/changes, the uke is always supported by the thumb and/or some part of the forefinger, generally floating between the knuckle and the crook of the hand below it. They don't tend to mention this. Most of the time, the uke is never supported by the forearm alone. I have also found that when wearing long sleeve, synthetic fabrics, holding the uke becomes very difficult as it wants to "slip". Take another look at the tutorials on how to hold the neck and closely watch that left hand. Also, if you click on the gear, you can slow down the video, after making it full screen, to get a better look.

Hi! I've been having some difficulties holding my concert size ukulele, and I was wondering if any of you had some advice to give me.

Before anyone mentions using a strap, I am planning on buying one soon. However, in this thread I really want to discuss how to play less awkwardly without one. :)

If you're planning on getting a strap anyway, tie a length of string around the "waist" of the instrument and tie the other end off at the machine heads. That'll get you going ... some "professionals" on YouTube have used a similar arrangement for extended periods of time ;)

I appreciate there are those who insist a strap isn't necessary ... I'm in the other camp ... we all enjoy playing :music:

When I thumb pick a tune, I hold the uke by the upper bout, stood up or sitting down, I also tend to thumb strum if I happen to be playing chords.

I am practicing using down & up strumming patterns, & for this, I have the lower bout resting on my lap between my thighs, my right arm holds the uke & my left hand controls the neck whilst changing chords, most often the neck is resting on the base of my index finger.

Regarding straps, I have found that a single strap button on the heel is enough for supporting my ukes, if I want to use one, which is seldom, & attach a lanyard style of strap.

Hope this is of some help. :)

If you're planning on getting a strap anyway, tie a length of string around the "waist" of the instrument and tie the other end off at the machine heads. That'll get you going ... some "professionals" on YouTube have used a similar arrangement for extended periods of time ;)

I appreciate there are those who insist a strap isn't necessary ... I'm in the other camp ... we all enjoy playing :music:

kypfer, I do use straps but not on concert/soprano ukuleles, and I do think they can be necessary. :eek:ld:

My suggestion would be to get a Uke Leash. This way you won't need to install a strap button, but if you do, you can keep using it. For me, the Uke Leash was like "training wheels" until holding and playing became easier. I play mostly without the leash or a strap now when seated. A foot rest may also help.

If you are playing songs that require you to move from the low frets to the high frets quickly, it will be a challenge to maintain control of the neck during the transition. I had the same problem. The more complex the playing, the more difficult it becomes. I notice that many of the best professional players use a strap... Jake, James Hill, etc. It just makes sense if you are going beyond the simple strumming in first position. I always play sitting with my Uke Leash holding the neck rock steady. It is best to keep it simple and not have to get into uncomfortable habits that might cause you trouble down the road.
–Lori

I don't know why people are adverse to a strap, it makes playing infinitely easier. The Uke Leash works great.

kypfer, I do use straps but not on concert/soprano ukuleles, and I do think they can be necessary. :eek:ld:

I wasn't "having a go" at yourself, sir, our sequence of posts just made it look that way. I was simply trying to make a suggestion to the OP :)

As it happens, I can play quite reasonably well without a strap ... I just prefer to use one ;)

While I CAN play without a strap, I find it easier with one...for me personally it goes like this:
Regular strap>Leash style strap>No strap

YMMV of course.

When I wish to play while standing, I use an uke leash or employ the following traditional method:

1) align neck parallel to the horizon with fretboard facing forward,
2) nestle ukulele body in crook of right arm
3) raise neck with left hand while supporting using thumb under neck

UUer Bazmaz has posted a great video on this method. When this is done successfully, I can remove either hand with very little movement in the ukulele's position.

I position my thumb to provide very light support to the underside of the neck and balance to my fretting hand, and I angle the fretboard "up" slightly so that I can relax my fretting arm and use gravity to my advantage when performing a barre. This helps me remain relaxed and in control while playing strapless.

It's worth stating that I can do this only with thin-necked ukuleles. My Kala's beefier neck introduces tension into my fretting hand when I try to play it strapless, so I put a strap on it and haven't looked back.

YMMV. I prefer playing strapless but only so long as it doesn't introduce tension into my technique.

Last edited:
I only use a strap while playing tenor. I have tried one on my concert uke's and it felt awkward. Do what works for you. The best advice I got came from singer/songwriter Michael Johnson, anyone here over 50 will remember his biggest hit, Bluer Than Blue. Michael is a very skilled guitarist. He simply told me to play as relaxed as I can. It sounds so simple but you really have to pay attention and not tense up.

The left hand should not be supporting the ukulele. You should be able to take your left hand right off the instrument and have it remain where it is. The left hand has to be free to move up and down the neck of the instrument without gripping the neck to hold it up. For me, this means using a strap on all size ukes (mandolin, banjos and guitars too) when I'm standing. I prefer a strap when I'm sitting as well, but don't always use one.
Some folks can support the uke with no strap and without having to use the left hand while standing. If you're one of those folks, good for you, but I don't think you'd have asked the original question if you were.
If you intend to get a strap anyway, then you only need advice for the next day or two. I often use a braided leather boot lace for a uke or mandolin strap.

The left hand should not be supporting the ukulele. You should be able to take your left hand right off the instrument and have it remain where it is. The left hand has to be free to move up and down the neck of the instrument without gripping the neck to hold it up.

Thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I'm trying to work on right know. I usually manage to hold my uke in position when sitting down, but most of the time it is very wobbly. I think it's the position of the right arm I haven't properly figured out yet.

As for playing while standing, right know using a strap is a no brainer for me since I feel it's too awkward playing without.

As I said in my original post I am open to both options, but in any case I want to get more comfortable playing without a leash for the sake of adaptability.

Top Bottom