Season 235 - The Monkees!

29moons

Reaction score

I guess the title tells it all - The Monkees!

Pretty Clear in the intro video - Songs by The Monkees or the individual members or songs that mention the band 'The Monkees' (NOT monkeys, gorillas, chimps, etc.)

Rules

Multi-tracking encouraged

Only one entry per but you can post more, I just won't put it on the list and may not comment on it.

HAVE FUN

OFF LIMITS! 'The Theme From The Monkees' - *** The theme can be done if it is another language.

Creative videos (Monkee'esque are encouraged)

UPDATE! We sure are getting a lot of Nesmith songs. Not Surprising as he was the most prolific writer in the band. Hoping to get a little more of the other three soon, especially Davy and Peter. Peter has two lead vocals on the new album, with a bunch of stuff from the originals and Davy has a new one (okay, previously unreleased song) on the new album. I'm encouraging everyone to dig deep and look past the ones we grew up with. I have 15 individual Monkees albums on iTunes totally over 250 songs. Headquarters, Pisces capricorn aquarius and Jones, The Birds the Bees and the Monkees, etc. are chalk full of good stuff.

here's a link to a bunch of tabs/chords: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/the_monkees_tabs.htm

Here's a song list if you need it - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=monkees+songs

Some interesting facts (Maybe)

Michael Nesmith (& The First National Band) - So much stuff - really great songwriter and video pioneer - Won a Grammy for Video of the Year - 1981.

Micky Dolenz - Has released numerous albums and still performs on Broadway. Micky is considered the leader of the band and enjoys the lead role. His voice is a rare find in music and considered one of the most distinctive in Rock n Roll. Plenty of stuff to find on Youtube.

Peter Tork (Shoe Suede Blues and Peter Tork And/Or Release) - Was asked to play banjo by George Harrison for the 1968 soundtrack for Wonderwall. His stuff is harder to find but it's out there.

Davy Jones - Spent a great part of his post Monkees career performing solo. He had a few hits with 'Girl' and 'Rainy Jane', but the Monkees remained his highlight and he was always fond of it an great to the fans.

Don't forget - The Monkees are currently on tour so they maybe comin' to your town.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
:bowdown: This will be fun!

They put out a new album in May! It includes the song "I Was There (And I'm Told I Had a Good Time)".

They put out a new album in May! It includes the song "I Was There (And I'm Told I Had a Good Time)".

The new record is SOOOOO good. There's only two that I skip when listening. For anyone who hasn't listened to it, I highly recommend it. You can hear the samples HERE

I just went there and realized that there are two songs I didn't get off the new album because I didn't buy the deluxe edition on the first day. Looks like I'm making a new purchase right now. See, even a seasoned hard core fan finds new stuff.

Looking forward to your video.

That Monkees clip sure brought back some memories! It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with. Thanks for this nostalgic theme Moons.

Is "The Wrecking Crew" still playing their instruments for them? :D

Most of it was done by them and Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne; He was the producer. Nez is an amazing musician along with Peter so most of it is them. Adam played Bass on most of the album and Brian Young plays most of the drums. Other musicians are sprinkled throughout but Mike, Micky, Peter and Adam S. do most of the playing.

Of course Eddie Hoh is on 'Good Times' that was recorded in 1968 along with Harry Nilsson on Piano and vocals.

The liner notes are pretty good with who plays.

I'm looking forward to seeing what eveyrone comes up with. I've already picked the song i would do if i was going to do one. Since i'm not I can share that I'd do "She" but obviously it would be "He". I'm not really good enough to whip up this song yet though. Hopefully some other female will do it instead.

I'm looking forward to seeing what eveyrone comes up with. I've already picked the song i would do if i was going to do one. Since i'm not I can share that I'd do "She" but obviously it would be "He". I'm not really good enough to whip up this song yet though. Hopefully some other female will do it instead.

Bummer. I really wish you would. That's off the first album I had (Okay, it was my sisters) so I would love to hear your version. No fear.

Come on, Pretty please. You don't have to be in the video, it can be a blank screen and an instrumental.

One added bit of trivia, Michael Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper (or white out) and eventually sold the company to Gillette for $47.5 million.

i'm just a beginner! and it would take a lot of effort. And its not my highest priority right now. Someone else will do it. :)

The Monkees' back story is fascinating. The creators of the show originally wanted the Lovin' Spoonful to be the band, but the Spoonful had contractual conflicts with Screengems(?), which had the rights for all the music that would be produced on the show. So the creators did a cattle call for actors, and Stephen Stills auditioned for the role that went to Peter, who was a folkie in Greenwich Village and learned about the opportunity from Stills after Stills was rejected. In another instance of "things that would have changed the world," when CSN were looking for a fourth member a few years later, the first person they considered seriously was a young songwriter named Warren Zevon. I'll go away now.

The list of people who didn't make the cut for the Monkees also includes Van Dyke Parks and Paul Williams.

I took a long time to appreciate the Monkees--TV38 in Boston used to show their TV series as part of their afterschool cartoon block, and I always found it a little too broad. I also worked music retail when Shrek came out, and the Shrek song pissed me off no end. Learning about the good songwriters who wrote for them (Nilsson and Carole King, for starters) made me go back and listen to them with new ears, and I also loved that Mike Nesmith produced one of my dad's favorite movies, Repo Man. Rediscovering Pisces, Capricorn... and the Head soundtrack has been a kick, too.

I'm covering Cuddly Toy, because it's Nilsson. I may also bust out Me and My Arrow, which Davy once covered.

Last Train To Clarksville

Don't tell me I'm the first one to post!! Don't worry moons, things can only get better from here!

"I'm a Believer" - The Monkees - Folk Project Evening of Music jam

I'm a believer!

In the middle of an extended Beatles jam at last night's music party, I managed to get us to do a Monkees jam. You can't hear a great deal of me in it, but I was the instigator.

That's Mitch on lead voice and guitar, and from there, right to left, Andy K on bass, Jef with one F and new-guy Andy on guitars, and of course me. I think Jeff R was playing along too, to the right of Mitch - at least he was during the bit of noodling we caught on video before this. Yeah, two Andy's two Jef(f)s. That's how we roll.

There's actually another Monkees song I've had on my to-do list since a much earlier theme - maybe this week I'll get that one done.

Also, we (Uke On! duo, with Neil, plus at least one other friend) have a 2-hour+ gig at the local farmers market this week (noon to 2pm minimum, but the market runs 11am to 4:30, and we can play as much of it as we want), so maybe we'll video some more there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom