New Hoffmann Baritone Build Start

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some early photos of my new Baritone that Jerry Hoffmann just started to build for me. One of my Uke buddies here is having a concert built with the same wood.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That's going to be a very beautiful ukulele! And I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks. I've been impressed with the sound of the Hoffmann's that I've heard sound samples of.

Can't wait to see and hear the finished instrument. I've been quite impressed with his results.

Can't wait to see and hear the finished instrument. I've been quite impressed with his results.

Wow! That's going to be a very beautiful ukulele! And I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks. I've been impressed with the sound of the Hoffmann's that I've heard sound samples of.

I love the ML tenor that Jerry built for me about 18 months ago. I'm sure that this will be a great instrument also. All I have to do now is learn Bari chord structures. At first I planning on using a B flat tuning so, when playing with friends, I can capo up to a C tuning easily. At least I think that's how it works (lol).

PS. I haven't been on this board much lately as I have been completing our home reno prior to selling it. Our house went on the market last weekend so now just have to keep it neat and tidy for when it's open for inspection. It's nice to start thinking about Ukes again instead of climbing ladders to paint et al.

Hey Hollis that's gonna be a beaut mate. A Hoffman is on my short list of ukes to own and his baritone always sound stunning. Please keep the pictures coming as the build progresses. Thanks for sharing

Beautiful, congratulations! My wife's concert is made of the same wood combo. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Is that ziricote? Drool, drool! Congrats, and enjoy the journey!

Hollis,

Looking great! THe rosette is a nice contrast. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on B flat tuning - I'm thinking about messing with the tuning of my baritone, and have contemplated b flat, as well as Linear A and rentrant G.

OhioBelle, that is ebony, it's a pretty special type Jerry has been using for a while, that has similar reddish brown striping.

That's gonna be a knockout Hollis. I still enjoy my Boat Paddle after all these years. Jerry is a fine builder.

Hollis,

Looking great! THe rosette is a nice contrast. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on B flat tuning - I'm thinking about messing with the tuning of my baritone, and have contemplated b flat, as well as Linear A and rentrant G.

Ryan, I made the decision to try b flat linear after reading Dirks' most informative Southcoast webpage. If I like it, you know what this means don't you? It means I will have to get another Bari to experiment with other non standard tunings. Wouldn't mind one of those Kinnards or one by Allen McFarlan (Allen has some very nice Zircote in stock). Isn't Eddie's new Bari just out of this world. Knock,knock. Who's there. It's the UAS guy (LOL).

And thank you to all for your kind words. I always love to share other members journeys to customland and I hope you will enjoy mine. More photos are coming in a few days.

Hey Hollis. Long time. Now I now whatcha been doing. This looks like it's going to a magnificent Uke.

We all look forward to watching it being built.

Here are some update photos prior to the finish being applied. Very happy with the outcome. Even better than I expected and I expected a lot.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ryan, I made the decision to try b flat linear after reading Dirks' most informative Southcoast webpage. If I like it, you know what this means don't you? It means I will have to get another Bari to experiment with other non standard tunings. Wouldn't mind one of those Kinnards or one by Allen McFarlan (Allen has some very nice Zircote in stock). Isn't Eddie's new Bari just out of this world. Knock,knock. Who's there. It's the UAS guy (LOL).

And thank you to all for your kind words. I always love to share other members journeys to customland and I hope you will enjoy mine. More photos are coming in a few days.

Hey Hollis, I went ahead and tuned my stansell Bari to linear Bflat with southcoast HML-WB, and it really opened up the uke, sort of like lifting a veil from the sound! Was tuned linear G and just always sounded muddy to me. Now it's more clear and resonant but still fuller and deeper than a tenor in C. The HML set also allows you to drop to A and still have good tension, it's a very versatile set.

Hey Hollis, I went ahead and tuned my stansell Bari to linear Bflat with southcoast HML-WB, and it really opened up the uke, sort of like lifting a veil from the sound! Was tuned linear G and just always sounded muddy to me. Now it's more clear and resonant but still fuller and deeper than a tenor in C. The HML set also allows you to drop to A and still have good tension, it's a very versatile set.

Thanks for this info. I told you I was going to need more than 1 Bari to explore all these tunings.

Re strings, I restrung my BP ML Tenor last week and have tried a Savarez low G. Very nice actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom