Wood selection for my new project

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms, so I decided to start on my next ukulele build. Wood selection always comes first with me and so far I have only used mahogany, walnut and spruce for my sound boxes and necks, so I feel I'm now ready to try something else. Since this instrument will be for my youngest son, I thought I'd go top shelf and use koa for the back and sides and use sitka spruce for the top. Regarding the neck, I'm unsure of what will look best with the foregoing materials, so I'm asking for some input here. Would a light colored wood, like maple be suitable, or would the contrast be too great? I know I should just please myself, but is there some tradition here that should be followed? What neck woods should I consider, both from a visual and practical point of view? I'd appreciate any and all comments.

Bob

Ditto. Mahogany will look good with the Koa. Dark with dark. Also practical.... But it has to be your vision. Not anybody elses.

I like cherry. I don't find it difficult to work and it looks attractive, turning darker in colour as it ages. I've used it for the necks on most of my instruments.

It also makes a great soundbox as it bend easily under heat, (my necks don't bend).

I read somewhere recently that tonewise it is similar to mahogany and koa.

You specifically asked about neck woods. Spanish cedar is a traditional wood for classical guitar necks because it is strong and light. It has the disadvantage of being soft and easily marked.

Thanks for the suggestions people, I'll look into cherry and Spanish cedar. I want a change from mahogany, which I know is a good choice otherwise.

Bob

Top Bottom