Kanilea K-1 concert

Here's some info on the TRU Bracing. It seems to resonate making it louder in volume and a fuller sound. As far as the bridge pins, matter of personal preference.

And the bridge pins are more or less an aesthetic choice. The strings still hook into a notch under the bridge and the pins do not actually hold them in place.

The one thing about the system is that it can be a bit tricky sometimes to get the knot situated properly in the notch since you're essentially doing it blind which can lead to occasional bouts of swearing and bridge pins shooting across the room. But it's really not a problem once you get the hang of how it works.

I have read that the neck is "chunky". It seemed to imply that the nut was a little narrower than normal.

I have read that the neck is "chunky". It seemed to imply that the nut was a little narrower than normal.

Just the opposite. Kanile'a nut width are 1.5" (or at least 1 7/16") even on sopranos. They used to have a pretty chunky neck but I believe maybe a year or so ago they updated their neck profile and are now on the thin side. I have a 1.5 year old Kanile'a super soprano and a 4 months old super tenor. The super soprano's neck is actually thicker than the super tenor's neck.

Which neck do you like better? Is it safe to say that their nut width is on the wide side compared to most ukes?

Which neck do you like better? Is it safe to say that their nut width is on the wide side compared to most ukes?

Neck thickness doesn't matter that much to me, but if I have to pick one, I would probably like a thicker neck versus a thinner one. For reference, a Kamaka neck feels pretty neutral to me, as does most Kala necks I've held. This is pretty much a personal preference thing that only you can decide though.

I think Kanile'a nut width is on the wide side. Most production ukes are between 1-3/8" and 1.5". I personally prefer 1.5" nut width.

I am glad you mentioned the Kala neck. I currently have two Kala laminated mahogany gloss models, a concert and a soprano. I really like the necks on them. I am looking to upgrade to a nice solid wood uke.

Erik

I have a Kanile'a K1 concert that is pre-TRU bracing. I LOVE IT. It is gorgeous, sounds gorgeous, plays gorgeously...did I mention it's gorgeous?

I have a Kanile'a K1 soprano that has TRU bracing. I LOVE IT. It is gorgeous, sounds gorgeous, plays gorgeously...did I mention it's gorgeous?

Kanile'a FTW!

I have a Kanile'a K1 concert that is pre-TRU bracing. I LOVE IT. It is gorgeous, sounds gorgeous, plays gorgeously...did I mention it's gorgeous?

I have a Kanile'a K1 soprano that has TRU bracing. I LOVE IT. It is gorgeous, sounds gorgeous, plays gorgeously...did I mention it's gorgeous?

Kanile'a FTW!

You're kinda vague. Please clarify how you feel.

Buy it! ..................................................................................Have you bought it yet? Honestly I seriously doubt you will have any regrets on a Kanile'a. I'm pretty sure most of the people in my Uke club are a little jealous of mine, and there are some pretty nice ukes in the room most meetings. I love the sound of mine.

I really love Kanile'as and have convinced my mom to get one too. I used to hate the bridge pins but if you happen to receive a uke with the white plastic pins, change them out for some wooden unslotted ones from StewMac. Much prettier and much easier to change strings with!

I really love Kanile'as and have convinced my mom to get one too. I used to hate the bridge pins but if you happen to receive a uke with the white plastic pins, change them out for some wooden unslotted ones from StewMac. Much prettier and much easier to change strings with!

I ditto that suggestion. I switched my ugly plastic pins for some cool koa ones with the abalone dot - nice match for the dots on the fretboard.

You're kinda vague. Please clarify how you feel.

Oh, sorry - I reread that and thought I could be a little clearer:

Kanile'a FTW!

Oh, sorry - I reread that and thought I could be a little clearer:

Kanile'a FTW!

...but do you like it? :confused:

Top Bottom