Season 236 "Juanita Banana"

My first sock puppet. I will name him George, and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...

I just got home from taking Molly back to college, to find you've chosen the last theme on earth I would ever be willing to do. No other person ever did a fraction of the harm to the ukulele's reputation that Tiny Time did.

Three great entries so far. Thank you boys!!

First was Brian/Pa with his very talented harping sock with a superb cover of "Nowhere Man". Hmmm, perhaps it should have been changed to "Nowhere Sock" but who am I to say?

Then we got some Wee wisdom about love with 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart'. Dang does that guy have cute fingers or what!

Harry/Randy....I think I love U ♥ Hawaiian music AND a home made sock puppet that you named George! I love it! BTW I also know very little about TT and didn't even know he'd covered this song. Looked up his version and.....I love it! So thank you Randy!

Well, everyone has good and bad things about them and Tiny didn't go out into the world with the evil intentions of stomping on the ukuleles reputation. How can you hold him responsible? That is all folks :)

I just got home from taking Molly back to college, to find you've chosen the last theme on earth I would ever be willing to do. No other person ever did a fraction of the harm to the ukulele's reputation that Tiny Time did.

I just spoke to my friend P, who you may know from the George the Self-Esteem Cat videos. He's wanted to build a zombie puppet for a while, and making this video is giving him an excuse to do just that!

I know this topic is controversial, and I initially wasn't going to participate--Tiny gives me a bad case of the howling fantods. However, if I can find a song I like, I'm sure you can, too.

What's a howling fantods?? Oh, and did you say ZOMBIE puppet.........bring it on!! Never heard of George but I'll go check it out now :)

Well, everyone has good and bad things about them and Tiny didn't go out into the world with the evil intentions of stomping on the ukuleles reputation. How can you hold him responsible? That is all folks :)

I got an interesting comment on my video which said;

The end of Tiny Tim's life was very tragic. Although he had spent thousands of hours
saving songs buried in the archives of the NYC public library, annotating and archiving them,
and resurrecting them by making them heard again, he knew that the general consensus
was that he was a loser, clown, pathetic, has-been, joke.

Tiny Tim was a scholar. He spent countless hours in the archives of the NY library researching
old sheet music and preserved old songs by playing them to audiences.

To which I replied.

Folks see you with a ukulele and immediately they think either George Formby or Tiny Tim,
and then they want you to play when I'm cleaning windows or tip toe through the tulips.
Both of those Uke players were very skilful musicians and some of their stuff is rather complicated,
especially the strum patterns that I would not even attempt to play them.

Sometimes people do things for themselves rather than for posterity.
It is great when the passion of an individual not only brings joy to
themselves but also to others.

And so it is with the weekly challenge we engage in it because we have passion for it
and we can only hope some people get enjoyment from what each participant brings.

Last edited:
I am afraid I will probably not have time to make an entry this week.
Planning a big party will take most of my time, and what little ukulele time I find must go to practice a song for that event.

But the theme is interesting. I'm not familar with Tiny Tim, will try to listen to some of his stuff. I allready saw that he has covered all sorts of genres.

Sure wish I was creative enough to have a finger puppet come to mind. :wallbash:

Upon hearing the theme I went to the nearby little town to see what I could find. You know you can't find much at the dollar store. Yep thats about all they have. I came back to the cabin and realize I could take my electronic bear apart and use that. You guessed it, Im crazy like that! This whole process has taken me two days for a 2 minute song. I took advantage of the rain and used a washboard for percussion and after I recorded I spent time putting the bear back to its original state. The video has taken 6 hours to upload.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Sure wish I was creative enough to have a finger puppet come to mind. :wallbash:

Upon hearing the theme I went to the nearby little town to see what I could find. You know you can't find much at the dollar store. Yep thats about all they have. I came back to the cabin and realize I could take my electronic bear apart and use that. You guessed it, Im crazy like that! This whole process has taken me two days for a 2 minute song. I took advantage of the rain and used a washboard for percussion and after I recorded I spent time putting the bear back to its original state. The video has taken 6 hours to upload.

You are such a fabulous seasonista Linda.
That bear song is just such a treat and you went to such trouble to do it.
Just wonderful!!!
The song is BRILL too with really beaut arrangement and performance.
Huge applause and whoo hoos from me!!!
Your dog wasn't sure what was going on though.
GREAT stuff Linda!

Tried to PM this but you box is full.

Wow, you people are so talented. I'm still working on an another Dance for three weeks ago! I recorded it but wasn't happy with the tempo so will try again. I got distracted by doctors and was uke-less for that last four days. I was very happy to get home and play a bit yesterday. The sound of my uke is the best medicine I could hope for. Well that and some good coffee.

I'll be on the Island, if any one wants me.

I came back to the cabin and realize I could take my electronic bear apart and use that. You guessed it, Im crazy like that! This whole process has taken me two days for a 2 minute song. I took advantage of the rain and used a washboard for percussion and after I recorded I spent time putting the bear back to its original state. The video has taken 6 hours to upload.

Linda - your devotion to the cause deserves a medal. 2 days? I thought I was overdoing it by spending 10 minutes in my daughter's bedroom looking for the finger puppets I bought her ten years ago. Turns out I had a perfectly good glove puppet in a cupboard about three feet from my ukes. Now I just have to teach the damn thing to strum.:)

The end of Tiny Tim's life was very tragic. Although he had spent thousands of hours
saving songs buried in the archives of the NYC public library, annotating and archiving them,
and resurrecting them by making them heard again, he knew that the general consensus
was that he was a loser, clown, pathetic, has-been, joke.

Tiny Tim was a scholar. He spent countless hours in the archives of the NY library researching
old sheet music and preserved old songs by playing them to audiences.

IMO, Khaury's background as an armchair musicologist is laudable, and he's probably more skilled than he gets credit for. (I say "probably" because I have attempted to listen to his music and make it ten seconds before I have to stop listening.) His persona, however, did him no favors. If you look at how he performed in the 1960s, he had an eccentric personality where he referred to everyone as "Mr." or "Miss", spelled out unseemly words instead of saying them, and referred to groupies unironically as "ladies of virtue". Someone like Lord Buckley, who was an antecedent of his, didn't seem to give a toss what people thought of him, and he came off as admirable in a way that Tiny didn't. Tiny had a saccharine quality that seemed to beg people to love him, and it turned me off.

I worked music retail throughout my high school years, and one of my supervisors would play Howard Stern (ick) when we were closing. I mostly knew of Tiny through his appearances on Stern, when he would talk too openly about his sex life and his use of adult diapers (and believe me, I wish I didn't know about that). I always felt like he was being exploited in his later years, and that made me feel gross towards him as well.

I hope you feel better soon Jack. I wondered where you had been. Sadly, I really don't have time left to watch the vids on the Island. But I'll be sure to catch your upcoming dance song. I too have songs unfinished from past Seasons. Mostly originals undone.

Wow, you people are so talented. I'm still working on an another Dance for three weeks ago! I recorded it but wasn't happy with the tempo so will try again. I got distracted by doctors and was uke-less for that last four days. I was very happy to get home and play a bit yesterday. The sound of my uke is the best medicine I could hope for. Well that and some good coffee.

I'll be on the Island, if any one wants me.

So, I'm curious. All of his songs even the one's he sings normally you have to turn off in a few seconds??

IMO, Khaury's background as an armchair musicologist is laudable, and he's probably more skilled than he gets credit for. (I say "probably" because I have attempted to listen to his music and make it ten seconds before I have to stop listening.) His persona, however, did him no favors. If you look at how he performed in the 1960s, he had an eccentric personality where he referred to everyone as "Mr." or "Miss", spelled out unseemly words instead of saying them, and referred to groupies unironically as "ladies of virtue". Someone like Lord Buckley, who was an antecedent of his, didn't seem to give a toss what people thought of him, and he came off as admirable in a way that Tiny didn't. Tiny had a saccharine quality that seemed to beg people to love him, and it turned me off.

I worked music retail throughout my high school years, and one of my supervisors would play Howard Stern (ick) when we were closing. I mostly knew of Tiny through his appearances on Stern, when he would talk too openly about his sex life and his use of adult diapers (and believe me, I wish I didn't know about that). I always felt like he was being exploited in his later years, and that made me feel gross towards him as well.

Linda! I see you cured your boredom, lol. I THINK I LOVE YOU! It means a lot to me that you would spend that kind of time to make such a wonderful video. Wonderful music with a tap dancing bear. Looked so cool! It should be turned into a puppet for good when it retires from the mantle :) OMG, you just don't know how much I needed this. Thank you, thank you. When I make my videos I often think about how future generations of my family will remember the quirky old family member with a passion for puppets, parodies and playing uke.

You have an electronic bear AND a Pool Table? I'll be your dog !!

...oh Pooh, I see you already got one ...

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce World Cup Willie. He was the mascot of the 1966 World Cup (that's the football/soccer one) when it was held here in England. England won, and we have spent 50 years talking about it. Anyway, I am too young to remember much about it, but somehow I ended up with a World Cup Willie puppet, which still has the football attached (although it flew off at the end of this song). He's only been playing the uke for about half an hour, so I think he did quite well.

Hello!!

This is my fast entry. Thanks for hosting! Playing this has been very funny!!

A big hug!!

Sara

Top Bottom