Season 236 "Juanita Banana"

I have been wondering about the 'across the pond' ship costs in case that comes up. Wondered in that case if it might be better just to buy a Waterman through a music store right in the UK and have it sent to the winner. Argh, I just don't know. Cuz then there would be no special window cling accents on it. As far a 'Juanita Banana' I don't think you're the only one :) BTW 'Juanita' in spanish is 'Janet'....ME, so it really fit my Season. Plus say it slow...'J uan a it a' banana? 'Ya wanna eat a'....get it??? LOL.

I have just very recently bought an Outdoor Uke and had to pay the equivalent of 52 dollars in Customs/Import duty plus another 25 dollars for postage; all of which amounted to about fifty percent more on the original cost of the uke - although, in this case, I consider it was worth it!

Last edited:
Hey Val. Did you get the Tenor Outdoor or the soprano? Just curious. I have the tenor and have become fond of it though I don't like the clicky sound it makes when I strum. It's good for picking and the intonation is very good. I wasn't impressed with the soprano size but each manufactured uke sounds different. Perhaps you got a good one (;

(>‿◠)✌ Winners ( )o}==#

I have decided that I'm going to award the prize to CarSingerElena!!! For one thing she obviously sings in the CAR, like I do :) The puppet show she made was outstanding in every way possible. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzc0j6A30k&list=PLyCDBKd_O5gDyfKPLDjf0CUGKOXr9ZUho&index=30 I really enjoyed watching it and the music and singing was wonderful. So much effort put into it.

Now, obviously it's a shame that I can't send Elena (MY) Waterman so Elena, please pick out one from this site https://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/

Give me your address via p.m. and I'll buy it for you :) CONGRATULATIONS!

Who else could possibly be the winner of the "Sunshine"? Well naturally it's Linda Louden! She made the cutest little hand whistler puppet out of a giftbag. Ingenutity! I loved it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzc0j6A30k&list=PLyCDBKd_O5gDyfKPLDjf0CUGKOXr9ZUho&index=30 I also liked that she "beared" it all in the Tiny Tim contest all together. Congratulations on winning the hand felted Tiny Tim doll. He's coming out quite well :) Send me that address Linda!

That Waterman of mine? What to do, what to do. It's not that I don't like this uke, I do. I just have a habit of collecting plastic ukes to see how they play. I have many different plastic versions and I am reducing my collection of ukes all together so.........

CuaLiz you are the new owner of my Waterman! You had a cute little guy play the uke for me. If you haven't seen it check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLCSvbWlVM&index=3&list=PLyCDBKd_O5gAv80WyPPbYwAonCh6Xe7bk I know you'll put it to good use in your library endeavors or whatever :) Let me know if you have a special something you would like put on the uke for the other part of the prize is to have me put a window cling artwork on it for you. Do you have a special animal you like or pattern you like or, IDK, whatever. We can discuss more over p.m. Send me that address!

Thank you all for your puppeteering talents and singing for me and Luke Lele :)

I hope you had fun.

Hey Val. Did you get the Tenor Outdoor or the soprano? Just curious. I have the tenor and have become fond of it though I don't like the clicky sound it makes when I strum. It's good for picking and the intonation is very good. I wasn't impressed with the soprano size but each manufactured uke sounds different. Perhaps you got a good one (;

I got the tenor - in fabulous BOTTLE GREEN! I really like it and haven't noticed a "clicky" sound, but perhaps my strumming isn't as demanding as yours!

I got the tenor - in fabulous BOTTLE GREEN! I really like it and haven't noticed a "clicky" sound, but perhaps my strumming isn't as demanding as yours!

I think the clicking is from acrylic nails and the plastic amplifies it!

I am so excited to be the winner of the Tiny Tim felt. I can't wait :)

Janet, sending one waterman to the Elena overseas AND one to Liz is soooooo generous!

I loved this week. I didn't know anything about TT and came away from this week learning so much more than I ever would have had you not given us this challenge.

Thank you so much!

Congratulations to all the others and to all those that participated. We are all winners :)

Big congrats to the winners! Big thank you to Janet for the inspired but wacky Season! Wow to all the other entrants, I loved everyone's entries! Yay for me because I had so doggone much fun this week 'cause I've never really "puppetted" before and I made a new friend - and bought a couple more!

Wow! Janet thank you soooooo much. :) :) :) belatedly, just saw this now. I'm absolutely delighted you chose me to win! AND it's my first win since I joined the seasons a few months ago (ironically lured in by a competition to win a ukulele). And indeed, to be honest, my first win ever with anything for over 30 years! I am one of life's losers for prizes, lotteries, raffles etc. The last time I won anything it was at a school raffle when I was 14 or so. It was a scratched 2nd hand Thin Lizzy record (not even an album, a single in the grubby white paper, with no cover)! So, this is like Christmas and birthdays all rolled in together ... and perhaps the beginning of a new, lucky era??? !

You are super generous and some day you will be rewarded by me in some way for giving away not one, but two ukes AND lest I not forget a hand-felted Tiny Tim doll to us 3 lucky winners. Duke of Uke have a sale on now which is also good timing too!! Congrats too to Linda on the puppet and Liz for the Waterman. I'll PM you now :)

I have decided that I'm going to award the prize to CarSingerElena!!! ....

Now, obviously it's a shame that I can't send Elena (MY) Waterman so Elena, please pick out one from this site https://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/

Give me your address via p.m. and I'll buy it for you :) CONGRATULATIONS!....

Your UU forum email is full, so I sent an email to your yahoo address you instead - might be in the junk folder! Thanks again! x

Thank you, Janet, for a fun Season! Great music and great variety of puppets. Congrats to the worthy winners!

Ukulele retailers in Dublin

I have decided that I'm going to award the prize to CarSingerElena!!! For one thing she obviously sings in the CAR, like I do :) The puppet show she made was outstanding in every way possible. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzc0j6A30k&list=PLyCDBKd_O5gDyfKPLDjf0CUGKOXr9ZUho&index=30 I really enjoyed watching it and the music and singing was wonderful. So much effort put into it.

Give me your address via p.m. and I'll buy it for you :) CONGRATULATIONS!

[snip]

Thank you all for your puppeteering talents and singing for me and Luke Lele :)

I hope you had fun.

Congratulations, likewise, to all the winners. And to Janet for coming up with this Season's theme and Linda L for stepping up to cover hosting duties in Janet's absence.

Can I just make one suggestion though? As Elena lives in Ireland, it's undoubtedly going to work out cheaper all round if she makes her purchase there - and by 'there', I'm guessing Dublin. The only Dublin music store I'm familiar with is Charles Byrne, who help sponsor Ireland's Ukulele Hooley by the Sea (if you can - go!!).

As it happens, not only does Charles Byrne have an online presence, they currently have the Kala Waterman on special offer(!), so that might be a better option all round.

Before you jump in though, and by way of disclaimer, Yelp has a list of music stores in Dublin that sell ukuleles and I'm sure there are other good retailers also on that list. I'm sure too, that Elena will be able to advise. :)

Congratulations once again, and once again, I'm left in admiration at the generosity of our hosts in the Seasons, both in terms of the prizes they fund and, more importantly in the time and thought they devote to hosting. Mesdames & messieurs: chapeaux!!

Last edited:
Congratulations, likewise, to all the winners. And to Janet for coming up with this Season's theme and Linda L for stepping up to cover hosting duties in Janet's absence.

Congratulations once again, and once again, I'm left in admiration at the generosity of our hosts in the Seasons, both in terms of the prizes they fund and, more importantly in the time and thought they devote to hosting. Mesdames & messieurs: chapeaux!!

Couldn't have said it better myself Paul!

btw. I think it might be too late - my uke's been ordered as far as I know :) I never even thought to suggest Irish uke shops. D'oh. Particularly Charles Byrne who seem the best - I did go into a few of the other ones last time I was in the Big Smoke and there was walls of Mahalos and Tanglewoods in many. However, none, even Charles Byrne 'Musik Instrumente' (must've been Germans originally back in the 1870s when the shop was founded...) have the transparent uke that I have my heart set on, but Duke of Uke has, so maybe as well your message has come too late! I ordered my baritone from the UK some time back and the shipping was amazingly reasonable, but if it isn't of course I'll cover it :)

I ended up just sending some money to Elena to buy herself a uke. I've not yet heard from Liz. Linda's prize is still in the making. (; Thank you all for a lovely week.

I always have a fun time even though I don't receive a plethora of entries like other Seasons. I cherish these Seasons and go back a watch from time to time :)

Couldn't have said it better myself Paul!

btw. I think it might be too late - my uke's been ordered as far as I know :) I never even thought to suggest Irish uke shops. D'oh. Particularly Charles Byrne who seem the best - I did go into a few of the other ones last time I was in the Big Smoke and there was walls of Mahalos and Tanglewoods in many. However, none, even Charles Byrne 'Musik Instrumente' (must've been Germans originally back in the 1870s when the shop was founded...) have the transparent uke that I have my heart set on, but Duke of Uke has, so maybe as well your message has come too late! I ordered my baritone from the UK some time back and the shipping was amazingly reasonable, but if it isn't of course I'll cover it :)

Hi, Elena! First of all, congrats. on being a very well-deserved prize winner. Thought it might interest you to know that I have (just) bought youngest grandson a Kala Waterman uke for his 7th birthday. Actually ordered it from Amazon and got the blue slate one as it was the cheapest! My personal preference would have been for the transparent one; but I thought he might find that a bit confusing. Advantages of the Waterman - it should be indestructable (I hope!) and it also has decent (Aquila) strings. Hope you get yours soon!

janet,
i read the first part of this and saw car singer and linda won and stpped reading! i would love your little waterman...are you going to the md uke jam tomorrow?

Top Bottom