Mainland Ukes - are they really that good?

My Mainland concert is a Solid Mahogany. I didn't know anything about uke brands when I bought it. I really love it. I swapped out the Aquila strings for some Living Waters. That threw off the intonation, but Donna LoPrinzi put in a slightly higher bridge saddle, and I am back in business! The Mainland really is a workhorse (and looks lovely as well). A very good choice in my opinion.

I've liked my solid Kalas and I like my Mainland.

I have a Mainland soprano, and the neck is too thin for me, really, but overall it's so nice I do put up with it. Excellent tone for the money. I've seen larger Mainlands, tenor and concerts, with necks that suit me better. I'd consider a Mainland, but I do have a Kala concert and tenor that do well for me.

It's a brand worth considering because of solid woods, nice rope trim and tuner options, and it's got a good build consistency to it. . . unlike some other brands out there.

A BIG thumbs up for Mainland Ukes! I first bought a Red Cedar/Rosewood Concert. It played so well, and was so pretty to look at that I bought a Long Neck Pineapple to go with it. I was so happy with that one too, that I went ahead and bought a matching Tenor and Soprano. Finally, in UAS desperation, I've just ordered the matching Baritone. So, I guess I really do like them .... a lot! I have Kalas and Ohanas, and a couple other brands of midrange Ukuleles. The Mainland Ukes look better and sound better and feel so comfortable in my hands. Seriously, if I had to let go of almost all my Ukuleles, I'd want to keep the Kamakas and the Mainland Ukes. Well, I do have a Collings UC3, which is a real gem, but then again, it cost 10 times what the Mainland Ukes cost.

We love Mainland Ukes! My first Uke was a Mainland mahogany satin concert and it is a great little instrument. I really adore the vintage look and it plays beautifully. I have fancier ukes in my little collection now but I still pull my Mainland out regularly and it feels like visiting an old friend. My husband has a glossy Mainland cedar/rosewood tenor that is SO pretty. Definitely a company worth considering.

A BIG thumbs up for Mainland Ukes! I first bought a Red Cedar/Rosewood Concert. It played so well, and was so pretty to look at that I bought a Long Neck Pineapple to go with it. I was so happy with that one too, that I went ahead and bought a matching Tenor and Soprano. Finally, in UAS desperation, I've just ordered the matching Baritone. So, I guess I really do like them .... a lot! I have Kalas and Ohanas, and a couple other brands of midrange Ukuleles. The Mainland Ukes look better and sound better and feel so comfortable in my hands. Seriously, if I had to let go of almost all my Ukuleles, I'd want to keep the Kamakas and the Mainland Ukes. Well, I do have a Collings UC3, which is a real gem, but then again, it cost 10 times what the Mainland Ukes cost.

Ever play a Kala solid cedar top concert? If yes, how does the cedar Mainland sound against it? I really like the size of the neck on the Mainland, but I don't really like the tone of the mahogany one I have. Sounds a little muddy to me. Anyway, I can't find a Mainland cedar in a store, so wanted to know what you though. I've thought about getting the Kala's neck shaved down, but...

....the mahogany one I have. Sounds a little muddy to me.

"No," on the Kala Cedar top. My Kalas are all spruce tops. I think mahogany does sound a bit darker, which is probably the same as your "muddy." I have a few mahogany Ukes, and they are all like that. It actually sound better on some tunes, to my ear anyway. You might really brighten up the mahogany with different strings. If it were me trying that, I'd probably put a set of carbon fiber on and see what happens. My bet is that "muddy" quality would disappear.

A P.S. about the Mainland Ukes. They have a distinctive 'voice.' It's not as rich or mellow or sonorous as my more expensive Koa instruments. But, I find their sound delightful. It's hard to use language to express tonal differences. But, I'd say whereas the Koas have more of a long O vowel sound, the Mainlands are more of a "U" or soft OO vowel sound. Now, I'm sure everyone is going to jump on me for that, with all kinds of different ideas. Oh well, such is life!

Last edited:
I had a couple of Mainland ukes and sold them both while trying to "thin the herd" as it were. Now I miss them, especially the Cedar/Rosewood Tenor. Gawd, that's a sweet uke! I'll probably order another one sometime. I think Mainland ukes are the best value around for solid-wood ukuleles, and also it must be said that the owners sure know how to throw a party! :)

Definitely fun to play around with strings! I have worth Browns on mine now & want to try living waters. Fascinating how it changes the voice of the instrument.

I am looking to buying a good concert uke and may try out a cedar top Mainland Uke. What are your opinions on this brand? Thanks!!

I have owned 2 tenor size cedar mainlands, they are excellent, so good I bought one twice, I have owned my second one for 6 years and its still my favourite uke, my first got damaged when a friend fitted an undersaddle pick up and also someone damaged it whilst I was waiting to perform with my old band, but after all the damage it sustained it still played and sounded excellent, you wont be disappointed if you do buy one JMO

It's been awhile since anyone's weighed in on Mainland Ukes. Has anything changed, or are they still highly recommended?
Great question! I know a lot of members have commented favourably on them in other threads but this is a great one to ask this question on.

I am one of the ones that posted favorably above. It is still my go to tenor. Sounds great when played in a group, too.

I've had mixed experience with Mainlands. My old ukulele busking partner had a cedar topped concert Mainland that sounded and played great, but not any better than my Ohana (which were reputedly made in the same factory). I loved the way it looked with its rope binding. I later bought a mint condition Mainland cedar topped baritone that I didn't play first. I never really liked it, except for its looks. I think that was more due to the fact that I am mostly a strummer and baritones are best played finger style, but it goes to show you that you should probably play an instrument before you buy it. I also think that Mike Hater, who owns Mainland is an outstanding human being, which goes for a lot if you care about such things.

Last edited:
I've had mixed experience with Mainlands. My old ukulele busking partner had a cedar topped concert Mainland that sounded and played great, but not any better than my Ohana (which were reputedly made in the same factory). I loved the way it looked with its rope binding. I later bought a mint condition Mainland cedar topped baritone that I didn't play first. I never really liked it, except for its looks. I think that was more due to the fact that I am mostly a strummer and baritones are best played finger style, but it goes to show you that you should probably play an instrument before you buy it. I also think that Mike Hater, who owns Mainland is an outstanding human being, which goes for a lot if you care about such things.
Argh! Yes, I agree 100% that I should play an instrument before buying it, but that’s going to be difficult. From what I can hear from online, today I’m wavering between a Mainland tenor and a Kala solid mahogany gloss tenor. I’d love to be able to compare them in person, side by side!

I’m living in Central Asia now—I’ll be back in the US next year, but not living near any good uke shops. I have family in the southeast, and we’re Braves fans, so I’m hoping to convince my hubs that a little jaunt over to Uke Republic would be a good idea while we’re in town for a game. ;-)

Argh! Yes, I agree 100% that I should play an instrument before buying it, but that’s going to be difficult. From what I can hear from online, today I’m wavering between a Mainland tenor and a Kala solid mahogany gloss tenor. I’d love to be able to compare them in person, side by side!

I’m living in Central Asia now—I’ll be back in the US next year, but not living near any good uke shops. I have family in the southeast, and we’re Braves fans, so I’m hoping to convince my hubs that a little jaunt over to Uke Republic would be a good idea while we’re in town for a game. ;-)
You may want to call ahead if you do come to Atlanta and visit the Uke Republic to try out a specific ukulele. They don't always have all the models or brands you want in stock.I'm lucky that I only live a few miles away. Based on my visits, I'd say they are more likely to have a specific Kala in stock than a Mainland.

You may want to call ahead if you do come to Atlanta and visit the Uke Republic to try out a specific ukulele. They don't always have all the models or brands you want in stock.I'm lucky that I only live a few miles away. Based on my visits, I'd say they are more likely to have a specific Kala in stock than a Mainland.
I think Mike tries to keep his website up to date, too, so you could check the inventory online before your visit.

This has been brought up before but aren't Mainlands re-branded Ohanas? That wouldn't be a bad thing, I love my Ohanas!

This has been brought up before but aren't Mainlands re-branded Ohanas? That wouldn't be a bad thing, I love my Ohanas!
I don't think Mainlands are rebranded Ohana, but they are very similar in design and perhaps made in the same factory. The woods, and appointments, such as tuners can be different. I know Mike at Mainland used to upgrade the tuning machines, because I once bought a whole bag of new tuning machines he had changed out on new Ukes after he received them from the factory. In my mind, the Mainlands are often prettier. I remember watching this video years ago comparing a Mainland soprano to an Ohana.

The thing that convinced me that Ohana and Mainland are made in the same factory is the construction, especially at the neck/headstock junction on tenors, see below, Ohana on left and Mainland on right. They both have this rather unique construction, where the thick headplate veneer continues down under the nut, and under the fingerboard. Also, the headstock shape is identical. I've never seen this on any other brands, gotta be the same factory IMO.

Ohana & Mainland2.jpg

Check out the Ohana CK-42 or the TK-42. Mainlands look nearly identical. I used to own a CK-42 and the headstock/neck joint appointment as noted above is the same in both brands and I don't recall seeing it in any other brands. Maybe re-branded Ohanas wouldn't be the right term. I think the builds may be the same but different tuners, different woods or an added trim appointment may be the only difference between the two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom