Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mainland Ukes - are they really that good?

My mahogany Mainland tenor has been bringing me joy since spring. I love the timbre and sustain.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Zither Heaven, First Act

My daughter picked up a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple super soprano (red cedar top and rosewood back and sides) last weekend. We picked it up at Uke Republic. It was easily the best sounding uke in the shop at that price point. Abigail absolutely loves the way it plays, and the tone is super sweet without being brash.
    It is also an absolutely beautiful instrument. I suspect it's value will grow significantly within the next 20 years.

I notice Mainland ukes sell very quirkily here in comparison to Pono, Kala or even the high end K brands. I think that's say something. Have not seen too many of them in market place so owners must be happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    They are built and play way above their price point. They are an excellent value, and Mike the owner does a great job with inspection and setup. You may want to contact him directly at Mainland, in that he occasionally has slightly blemished 2nds, which he sells at a reduced price. Good company with a good, honest product.
    What stevejfc said!

My good buddy Ramille has a Mainland that she loves. I've played it, and if I needed another uke, it would probably be a Mainland. Go for it!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I consider it the working man's ukulele.
    Ooh I like it. A new motto for Mainland. I have a classic mahogany tenor cut-away and my wife has a concert. It is the only uke I play. I won a new Mahogany tenor at the Silver Creek Uke carnival last weekend. I am going to give that one to my brother-in-law.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

I have two Mainland ukes, a Mango Concert and a Cedar/Rosewood Tenor, and I love them both.

I think Mainlands are the best value on earth for solid wood ukuleles!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I second Steedy on Mainlands being the best value for a solid wood uke. Mike is great to work with, and quality control is second to none! I purchased a Mainland mahogany soprano which was sold as a discounted second. I'm pretty particular, and really had to look to find the blemish. I've owned several ukes quadruple the price; many of which I've parted with. Quite honestly, I wouldn't part with my mainland to save my life! They are fantastic instruments for the money!
    Last edited by jksk8in; 08-24-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Simian View Post
    I have a cedar soprano and a mahogany baritone and both are excellent instruments. Can't say enough good things about them.
    i have the opposite pair: mahogany soprano, cedar bari. I loved the soprano so much I barely blinked an eye before deciding to drive nearly 3 hours one way to get one of Mike's seconds, the baritone. He had several cedar topped instruments hanging on the wall. I'm sure I must have played a concert (I played them all!) Highly recommend!
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

I've spun through at least 20 ukuleles and the Mainland Tenor Mahogany is the only one I really regret getting rid of. They're definitely worth their dollars. Great value. Definitely recommended.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information