Do you ever play ukulele?

cml

Reaction score
EDIT:The title was meant as a fun question, and not a negative one...I realised it might come off that way later. Sorry! Still interested in in your replies though :D

Lately, because I've been so caught up in building, I've found that I havn't had the time to play uke for about a week! That's probably a first since I started playing :eek:. It got me thinking though, how ofter do you luthiers and other hobbyists actually play the ukulele?

Have a nice day!
//Carl-Michael

Last edited:
I play every day. Maybe only one song, but I do play every day, usually at least 30 minutes.

I play every day. Maybe only one song, but I do play every day, usually at least 30 minutes.

Minimum for me too ^^^.

Otherwise, typically 2-3 hrs per day, but not all at once and instead spread out over the course of the day.

There have been a few days in the past year, most in this month where I could not play because of 'reasons', and on those days it felt like I had a pebble in my shoe all day long, i.e., something was 'off'...all day...

Now that my finger has healed, I play/practice daily for at least 45 minutes. Most evenings I'll thumb strum with the TV on (usually more entertaining than what's on the tube!) I have my music stand to the side of the couch for easier use.

There was a time I realized I was spending more time shopping for, reading and writing about and repairing ukuleles than I did playing. I was horrified. All that has since changed.

I know this is in the building thread - but I don't always play everyday. :cool:

It tends to come in fits & starts, usually I will find something that I want to learn to play, or find something to play for the Seasons, & I work on it off & on for a few days, then I seem to take a rest, maybe a day, maybe two, then off I go again. :)

But then, I'm not your average uker! ;)

I think there's nothing wrong with being more into building an instrument than being a player. Its a thing in boat building circles too. And no doubt other circles where there are those who construct objects and those who do a different type of activity with the same thing. Just as in art there are critics, teachers and producers. Its probably good to recognise that you fall into one of these categories more comfortably than as a player if that is the case.

With me, I am definiltey not a builder and i'm not playing enough. I am actually fearful now that i might not become a player then all my plans will be dashed. But there's still time. I must admit, the learning process is painful on my own and although the forums help in some aspects, they can also be a distraction so I am really glad I am going to be away from the computer soon for a long time. The downside of that is not having a comfortable access to learning tools. All my learning tools will be on a tiny iphone screen. Even learning how to use the wretched thing is painful, literally and figuratively. I find holding an iphone uncomfortable. I think i'll get repetitive strain in no time and i'm yet to make a phone call. Anyway getting off topic...

I need life to simple to make advances and in the little bit of time i've been struggling to try to learn anything, i'm glad to have discovered notions about ear training and got a sense of what can be done on the uke so that I will be able to fiddle and work things out at leisure. I think the fact of the music theory course that i'm currently grappling with, will give me such a sense of what's possible in terms of how to build chords and put together music or how music is put together that having just a song to listen to, or a bit of sheet music maybe, might be enough to get me going on a new path of teaching myself how to play. So in saying that, now its time to go back and do another lesson on that course. (Fundamentals of Music Theory btw - by Coursera and its free but I warn you, its not basic and there's no nice spoon feeding.)

Top Bottom