WTB cheap starter Uke

Calmb4tehpwn

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I've got a nice Uke for myself, but since getting one in the house, my four year old daughter has shown an interest. I can't bring myself to let her pluck around on my $900 Mele, so I want to get a cheap, but decent enough uke for her to play around on.

She has asked for a blue uke, but I'm certain pink would go over well, too.

I know most of you have upgraded to better ukuleles, and I'm hoping someone has a decent cheapo uke they'd let go for a good price.

I'm looking at Makala dolphin uke, if I were to buy new, but I'd like to find one used and save some cash.

Let me know what you've got!
Cheers

The problem with the cheaper ukes is the cost of postage, it doesn't make sense to try selling them. :(

You would be best off buying from Mim or someone else who does a proper setup, even on cheapies.
(Unless you get an offer from someone local to you.)

I suppose I could have opened up with my location-

We're in the twin cities, Minnesota

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOR-AUG24-BL

These are concert size and, really, a four year old could use a sopranino. I had my kids learn on a sopranino - I think ours is a Tangi Manini. Not the greatest sounding uke out there but it got them into it.

But going back to the Vorson, for $25 and free shipping, get one for yourself.

Good luck.

Hey folks!

I've got a nice Uke for myself, but since getting one in the house, my four year old daughter has shown an interest. I can't bring myself to let her pluck around on my $900 Mele, so I want to get a cheap, but decent enough uke for her to play around on.

She has asked for a blue uke, but I'm certain pink would go over well, too.

I know most of you have upgraded to better ukuleles, and I'm hoping someone has a decent cheapo uke they'd let go for a good price.

I'm looking at Makala dolphin uke, if I were to buy new, but I'd like to find one used and save some cash.

Let me know what you've got!
Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-S...601312?hash=item2a6f9411e0:g:sF4AAOSwFV9XxE2t

I ordered one of these from Mim and LOVE it.

And it's blue.

And it's $70 including shipping.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I found a purple makala dolphin on an auction site, with a hybrid case. Going to try to snag that for cheap. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll revisit the options you've all provided.

Thank you again!

Since you are in the cities, there are two ukulele groups up here...

And I can't help but volunteer the Caramel Ukuleles (see Amazon, eBay, or their own website) for a very good starter ukulele than what you would pay for a crummy one somewhere else.

Locally, Groth Music in Bloomington has a good selection of ukuleles...I also like Brickhouse in River Falls.

CME has a Makala shark in blue for $30. They do set ups on their guitars so I could only imagine they set up ukuleles.

Link: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/makala-shark-composite-soprano-ukulele-blue-used

I concur.
I bought a makala pineapple that was mint from them for $30 (through reverb)
It is practically brand new they said and they were right. Came w original packaging and tags and wrap.
This is my first uke (im new to it but coming from classical guitar) so I was also very surprised it had such refined fret work, string height, and intonation all the way down the neck. I couldn't believe my eyes for a 30 dollar uke.
Now your reply above explains it, they are a bona fide respectable guitar store, which I didn't know when I bought it.
Now I wonder if makalas come close to perfect set-up or was it just cme?

Top Bottom