Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nut came unglued

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    .....change just one string at a time. That way you have constant tension on the nut and don't have to worry about it moving or falling out.
    That's how I change them.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    My Mainland came with the nut not glued in. I was moving it when I would bend a string, which I do sometimes. Mike said just a super thin coat of Elmer's would hold it in place. Like several people have said, you want to be able to pop it off if you need to replace it. But talking to Mike, I don't think it is unusual for them to not be glued in.
    Typically the string tension is enough to keep them in place, but you will sometimes get a wiggler. If you glue the nut, only use a tiny dab of Elmers or some other water base school paste as you might want or need to swap it out in the future.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Typically the string tension is enough to keep them in place, but you will sometimes get a wiggler. If you glue the nut, only use a tiny dab of Elmers or some other water base school paste as you might want or need to swap it out in the future.
    The strings are holding it in fine, so I'm leaving well enough alone. I'm just used to guitars where those things are glued in solid. At least, they were 10 years ago.

I once glued on a nut using a glue gun. I wouldn't recommend it!

The nut on my banjo uke isn't glued on. I keep meaning to tack in in place with some dilute PVA or something, but never get around to it. It doesn't affect playability.

Quote Originally Posted by teryg View Post
    The strings are holding it in fine, so I'm leaving well enough alone. I'm just used to guitars where those things are glued in solid. At least, they were 10 years ago.
    Nuts are things that get removed for sanding down, replacement, and the like. They should be easy to remove and not glued in solid. I'm planning to lower the nut on my new banjo uke, and I'm hoping a quick tap knocks it out.

All that you should have is a tiny bit of glue, really small drop to secure it.

Thread Information