Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: custom build

Default custom build

hi, i am looking for a custom build but don't want to spend a lot of money. would i be able to get a soprano with a slotted headstock for around 400.00? thanks

i know this is not what you asked for.. buy if you look under my cigar box thread you will see a GREAT custom builder for cigar box.. and under 400 for sure.. and one hell of a nice guy.. PM me if you want..

Quote Originally Posted by brad32593 View Post
    hi, i am looking for a custom build but don't want to spend a lot of money. would i be able to get a soprano with a slotted headstock for around 400.00? thanks
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm looking at a materials list for a soprano that is right at $300. That's alot of work for $100 but as I said, you might find someone that's not interested in the money and would do it just for the experience.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

Dominator Ukulele Tabs
    Dominator on MySpace
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

I don't believe I've seen a slotted headstock soprano yet. I think they would be seriously too head-heavy. The closest thing would be a Glyph Mezzo-soprano. The problem is that there is the 2-3 year waiting list and the price is significantly more than $400. Since Dave Means charges some of the lowest prices among custom ukulele builders, you're not likely to find someone who builds a $400 custom soprano unless it's done as a favor to you.
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

My advise: Get some estimates from luthiers that you like and then save up some more cash to fit your need.

yes, NEED!
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

GX9901 wrote:
    I don't believe I've seen a slotted headstock soprano yet. I think they would be seriously too head-heavy. The closest thing would be a Glyph Mezzo-soprano. The problem is that there is the 2-3 year waiting list and the price is significantly more than $400. Since Dave Means charges some of the lowest prices among custom ukulele builders, you're not likely to find someone who builds a $400 custom soprano unless it's done as a favor to you.
    Woahhhh....... I never sawthis one.....As a freak of slotted headstock...seeing this just make me dreaming of owning soprono-concert size with a slotted headstock!!! But 2-3 years of wait s quite long though!!!!

George, do you know any one doing this other than Dave??

It's near impossible to make a slotted head soprano...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    It's near impossible to make a slotted head soprano...
    Just curious -- why is that? Even if it weren't the greatest idea, what would make it impossible?

The way to do a slotted head soprano is to use ebony peg friction tuners. That solves the problem of the head being too heavy. I could do a plain mahogany one for around $400.

Brad

http://www.wsukes.com/index.html

Contact Dave at wsukes, his email address is on the webpage... he's finishing up a soprano for me (with a slotted headstock) and IT LOOKS AWESOME! His prices are VERY reasonable.

Thread Information