Are some woods more prone to develop cracks?

Thanks Len and Stan. Yes, this particular uke is being returned to it's original owner.

It does seem some woods are more prone to cracking, and ziricote appears to be such a wood. I didn't mean to imply that ziricote will crack, but may be more likely to crack than some other tone hardwoods when stressed from humidity, temperature, etc. Brazilian Rosewood & Bocote also appear to be woods with a higher potential of cracking.

From the discussion in this thread, there are some steps one can take to mitigate the possibility of cracking (proper drying/seasoning, CA application, proper humidity, ...).

Also Hodge, if it is made in a climate controlled workshop...and the wood itself, meaning not only type but
Also this particular piece of wood from a part if the tree which has weakness in the grain structure due to many factors

I recall reading a tab in here where a least a couple of luthiers said Redwood tops are more likely than most other top woods to crack (not saying they are likely to, just a little less stable than other top woods).

I recall reading a tab in here where a least a couple of luthiers said Redwood tops are more likely than most other top woods to crack (not saying they are likely to, just a little less stable than other top woods).

Redwood is to brittle what cedar is to soft. I wouldn't say redwood was a crack prone wood, but like cedar you just need to take some extra care handling it.

I have not had any problems with my redwood tops nor have I seen any yet, whether it's my luck or
The chosen pieces by my luthiers

Top Bottom