A little c Song

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Key of C is too common and too easy so it must be C minor.
Song title does NOT have to start with C - so any song you like as long as it is performed in Cm.
Song still has to be less than 3 minutes long please.
Probably some little pewter trinket as a prize.
Challenge ends in 2 weeks.

A little c playlist

Last edited:
Serves me right for preparing a song in advance. My "begins with C, in the key of C" song will go back on the shelf...

Serves me right for preparing a song in advance. My "begins with C, in the key of C" song will go back on the shelf...

Sorry Steve, but my aim with the little challenges here is to maybe try and get us out of our comfort zone a little and maybe sing and play some different stuff in different keys. It is something I kind of thought my old brain needed. Sure hope you still bring something along.

Sorry Steve, but my aim with the little challenges here is to maybe try and get us out of our comfort zone a little and maybe sing and play some different stuff in different keys. It is something I kind of thought my old brain needed. Sure hope you still bring something along.
Fear not - a Cm song has been located...

I found a Cm song, and the title happens to begin with 'C' too.. Result! Just need to practice and record it now. :cool:

p.s. the original was six and a half minutes long, so I'll just have to play it really fast!

Last edited:
Fear not - a Cm song has been located...

Look forward to 'C'ing it Steve.

I found a Cm song, and the title happens to begin with 'C' too.. Result! Just need to practice and record it now. :cool:

p.s. the original was six and a half minutes long, so I'll just have to play it really fast!

Wow! Six and half minutes? Sure hope it can be culled a little. I look forward to what we C.

The Wreck of the Old 97 was an American rail disaster involving the Southern Railway mail train officially known as the Fast Mail on September 27, 1903 while en route from Monroe, Virginia, to Spencer, North Carolina. Due to excessive speed in an attempt to maintain schedule, the train derailed at the Stillhouse Trestle near Danville, Virginia where the train careened off the side of the bridge, killing eleven on board personnel and injuring seven others.

This one also isn't as magic as I'd like yet, but it's easier to find the time this week than next so here it is, warts and all (but without the intro, outro, bridge section and endlessly-repeated chorus!).
The chords are from http://www.tontonremy.com/ukulele/partoches/english/page656/page661/page661.html

I reckon this one is in G (or maybe C maj) but despite starting this thread I am never completely sure about these things (unless I see the sheet music with the key signature).
It is real well done and I believe it is the first Barry Manilow I've heard here on UU so it is much appreciated and stays in the mix.
Brian (ukefoote) seems pretty tight on music theory so maybe he can add some import.

Thanks! Yes looking at it again, I think the intro and outro (which I didn't use) are in Cm, but the rest of the song most likely is in C major. It was based on a Chopin Prelude in C minor, which is what threw me.

Thanks! Yes looking at it again, I think the intro and outro (which I didn't use) are in Cm, but the rest of the song most likely is in C major. It was based on a Chopin Prelude in C minor, which is what threw me.

I saw the Chopin mention in the chord link you posted. Barry probably did a big piano thing then into his song?
It really is the thought that counts and I really do appreciate your binging something along Jim!

My old stand by for deciding the key is the last chord (as long as there is resolution).

Ive found some time today for recording. I had a look at murder ballads that sound great in minor keys. We all know minors sound sad or haunting however this song was written for a major key. I changed it to a minor key so this will be a little different.

Took a break from yard work for Pa one-taker. It's all kind of rough but then again, it is in c minor.....

Jim Avery - just tried to leave comments for you on youtube but it said the comments were disabled. I'm a Barry Manilow fan myself though I would never tell anyone that. Great job on a tough song.

Top Bottom