Taropatch makers?

Booli

Reaction score
Who makes a Taropatch uke? (besides Martin)

as in CONCERT scale, nylon-type NOT STEEL, 8-strings, doubled, in unisons...

any 'factory' ukes?

I cant find any info and would rather spend as little as possible - maybe like $200, is this possible?

please share what you know...

Thanks folks :)!

The Ohana CK35-8 is due out in October. It has taken longer than expected and may sell for about $289 or so, the same price as their 8 string tenor. It will be in both all solid mahogany, or solid mahogany body with a solid spruce top. If it sounds anywhere near as good as the tenor, it will be awesome.
When I was trying to convince Ohana to make one, I pointed out that there is no factory made taropatch (read concert size) currently being made by anyone in the world. It now appears Kiwaya is making them for $2600 and I promise you that as good as it sounds, it isn't likely to sound $2300 better. Just my opinion.

PS: That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have one though, LOL!

Brian Mahon on Facebook would be happy to make you a gorgeous one at a very attractive price.

Last edited:
Liam from Wunderkammer ukuleles makes one as well, but it is around $700. Seeing as he makes everything by hand I think it's a steal! I personally love the artist aspect of a hand made ukulele, so if I were to get a taropatch, Wunderkammer would be at the top of my list.

Kiwaya make one, but it's in the upper price regions. (link)

Thanks for the info. A bit out of my price range, but good to know they are making one.

The Ohana CK35-8 is due out in October. It has taken longer than expected and may sell for about $289 or so...

Thanks for the info. This ^ is more of what I am looking for and priced more down-to-earth for mere mortals. I will keep an eye out for this one.

Brian Mahon on Facebook would be happy to make you a gorgeous one at a very attractive price.

His ukes are nice indeed and I never heard of him before, so thanks for bringing him to my attention.

Liam from Wunderkammer ukuleles makes one as well, but it is around $700...

Thanks for this info and pointing out this luthier, also new to me as of now. His instruments looks and sound great! This price range would be a bit of a stretch for me at this point, especially since this uke would be a sort of niche player and not my main player, but I will keep him in mind for future should I want to upgrade.

Here's something that will definitely inspire you Booli. Neal is a wonderful player and a member here at UU.

WOW, yes Campbell, indeed is is a very good player and something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing this video.

I should also mention that my main intent for a Taropatch is to tune it in FIFTHS, CGDA like a MANDOLA.

Why dont I just get a MANDOLA?

Well, I detest steel strings at this point in time and really do NOT want to play them if I do not have to.

Aquila makes a string set for concert (31U) in CGDA fifths tuning and if use those strings I dont have to think about it.

I have measured the 2 wound strings in this set at they are 0.035" and 0.030" for the C and G respectively, and thus have replaced them with the Thomastik-Infeld CHROME flatwound 'completely squeakless' CF35 and CF30 strings which are the same gauges, and any old E and A concert uke strings work just fine, if tuned to D and A upon first installation, and not higher for the 'E' string, otherwise if tuned to E and later detuned to D, the string has no tension and sound and plays like a rubber band...

I would like to have to chorusing effect sound that you get with doubled courses like on an 8-string uke, and the string tension on concert scale is much nicer to play for this than on a tenor, unless you use VERY LIGHT gauge strings, and then your intonation suffers, and there's not enough torque to drive the top to resonate properly, so that is why I am looking at purpose-build 8-string concert scale ukes, and i.e., the Taropatch quest.

Would there be a good way to modify a uke headstock to accept 8 tuners, I would first try this on a cheap sub-$100 concert uke to see if I like the sound, but the other concern is that doubling the string tension is likely to cause the instrument to implode, or at the very least pull the bridge off - I mean we are typically talking about 37lbs of tension on a concert uke and then to double that to 74lbs, for something NOT braced and built for it - I would expect disaster.

I am hopeful that Ohana follows through, and maybe inspires competition from Kala, Gretsch and Cordoba et al, so that maybe there will be more choices....

OTHERWISE - OMG - I may have to sell a foot, in order to get some cash to buy the tools necessary to build one myself - HA HA HA - but I have NO space and will be moving in the next 4-6 months so likely such a project is but a fantasy until maybe a year from now, so I have to BUY a pre-made on if I want one sooner than that (and also KEEP my left foot) :)

Last edited:
Bump - anyone actually get one of these? I prefer Concerts so this may appeal to me

Got my Ohana all solid mahogany taropatch CK35-8, had Worth clears installed. Brilliant, loud, and chimey. A HUGE bargain in it's price range. A concert size version of their tenor, the best sounding tenor 8 string that doesn't cost 2-3 times as much or more. MIMS and Uke Republic can take care of your needs. An Oahu concert hardshell case is a perfect fit, being longer than other concert cases. Probably made for concert long necks as well as regular concerts.

OH HELL, NOW I FIND OUT! Oh well, the Ohana and Pono both sound great, but very different. Might have to have BOTH!

This thread rekindled my desire to add a Taropatch to join my current ukes. After selling my 5-String "Willie G" becuase I was moving away from Tenor sized ukes, I am now motivated to decide between the concert Pono and concert Ohana models. I should probably wait for you to own both to see your comparison review to determine if the extra +$200 for the Pono is justified...

Then again, looking at MIM's site one of her button stickers reminded of this :stop::

IMG_1624.JPG

Only heard the Pono online, but it sure sounds "BRIGHT" The Ohana is all mahogany and of course sounds noticeably mellower, although still loud with good projection. Thick neck. I would imagine the Ohana with the solid spruce top will sound a little closer to the Pono, but with the all solid acacia Pono, it's about as bright as a taropatch could get I imagine. If you love either one, you could probably use both for the same reason you have other ukes with different woods/soundboards. The taro leaf inlay on the Pono's fretboard is very cool looking. I think the Pono is $429 at UkeRepublic.

Phil,
You may also consider a Talsma custom made taro-patch. You'll be surprised at what you'll get for the price. Dave's work is what I, and many others, consider the best around. The build is impeccable. The sound and playability is fantastic.

Check him out:
http://davetalsma.com/taro-patch-ukulele/

Here is an all mahogany that Dave made for me recently:

TALSMA-10_1488852304798.jpg

:drool: - had to throw gas on the fire, eh? LOL Gorgeous, Dave makes some nice looking instruments. Haven't had the pleasure of having on in my hands though. Contrats.

It doesn't take a commitment just to get a quote and Dave is very quick to respond. I just think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the more than reasonable price he quotes for his work. Best of luck on whichever taro-patch you finally decide upon.

Last edited:
I had already ordered the Ohana, so I'm already talking about reso #2....LOL. That Ohana CK35-8 is one hell of fine taropatch for under $300. Love the worth clear's on it too.

Old thread, but it seems the Pono or Ohana Taropatch ukes are impossible to find. It looks like they made only a few that got snapped up quickly, and now just do tenor sized 8-string. Too bad :(

taropatch

Forgive my ignorance, but why not put nylon strings on a mandolin?
I have in my never nicotine stained hands a EDDY FINN mahogany model EF-9-8T. It is an 8 string tenor with Aquila strings. Overall length 25 5/8" and 17" scale length and a 17" scale length with a 11 3/8" body length x 3" deep with 18 frets.

Forgive my ignorance, but why not put nylon strings on a mandolin?
I have in my never nicotine stained hands a EDDY FINN mahogany model EF-9-8T. It is an 8 string tenor with Aquila strings. Overall length 25 5/8" and 17" scale length and a 17" scale length with a 11 3/8" body length x 3" deep with 18 frets.

FYI Mandolin nut width is typically 30mm, and I know that this is problematic for those who prefer a wider nut.

Also a typical mandolin is not built/braced for the lower ~23 lbs of string tension (or even ~46 lbs if double courses in uninsons) of a soprano uke which would be the closest in scale length to a mandolin, which mandolins are typically built for more like at least ~130 lbs of string tension from steel strings, so while you could physically put uke strings on it, the sound be be a disappointment for most people.

All of this above is if you wish to avoid playing on steel strings.

Top Bottom