Review of TODA Tenor Cutaway

Doc_J

Reaction score
Another uke on my bucket list arrived recently, a TODA Tenor Cutaway. Until this one, I'd only seen videos and read reviews.

The instrument lived up to the reviews and my expectations.

Here's the specs:
  • Body:Tenor Cutaway
  • Head stock: Slotted
  • Top: Solid German Spruce
  • Side & Back:Solid Madagascar Rosewood
  • Neck:Honduran Mahogany
  • Finger Board (flat):Ebony with custom markers and side dot of Paua
  • Finger Board Binding: Madagascar Rosewood
  • Body Binding: Koa, front and back
  • Bridge:Ebony
  • Bracing:X-Bracing
  • Back Construction:2 piece
  • Neck Width At Nut:35mm
  • Scale Length:435mm
  • Tuning Machines: Gotoh gunmetal color
  • Rosette:Hawaiian Koa with paua dot
  • Pick Guard:Hawaiian Koa
  • Bone nut and saddle
  • Finish: Satin lacquer

The construction is exactly as you would expect from a Japanese master builder, perfection. The neck profile is comfy, I'd say as thin as a Ko'olau or MBU. I believe the re-entrant strings could be a version of Worths or other FC strings. The notes are clean and crisp (as you might expect with spruce and rosewood). It has the clarity near that of a koa Ko'olau with similar chime-tones, but with a little more warmth, just the right amount.

This is one of those ukes that sounds great either played fingerstyle (nice separation) or strummed. This TODA has good volume, but it's not my loudest uke. The very even and balanced tone is definitely more uke than guitar. My cedar rosewood LFdM might have the edge on re-entrant tone, pleasing to my ears (at the moment), but Luis' ukes are part Flamenco guitar. Weight wise, Ko'olau and Collings tenor feel a bit little lighter. It might be the weight of the Madagascar Rosewood showing.

Had to sell a couple great ukes to get this one, but it was worth it.

The sound and build quality are right up there with the very top builders.

Here's a first day sound sample:
https://app.box.com/s/0bb2550xrimepmo6lgsqr4parqijantk

... and a few pics.
P1070915_zpsxmf89t9z.jpg

P1070919_zpsnbxu02jd.jpg

P1070918_zpseqhpnvje.jpg

P1070920_zpspyvtjwkf.jpg

Hodge, thanks for this review and pics. I'm curious about Japanese uke builders and Toda is by all accounts a standout there. I like the balance of warm to crisp. Even the strumming stays clean to my ear. Your playing really brings the sounds out. Great score!

Thanks for another great review, and for stirring up my UAS, again! Is that an open pore finish?

Congrats again, Hodge! Such an elegant uke. We all support your continue exploration of fine ukes and happily look forward to your sales! ;-)

Thanks for another great review, and for stirring up my UAS, again! Is that an open pore finish?

Yes, it is an open pore finish. It works with the Madagascar Rosewood to give a 3rd dimension to the finish. This uke really does embody most of the elements of Zen aesthetics in the design philosphy:

• Simplicity or elimination of clutter - Kanso
  • Asymmetry or Irregularity - Fukinsei
  • Naturalness - Shizen
  • Subtlety - Yugen
  • Break from routine - Datsuzoku
  • Stillness, Tranquility - Seijaku
  • Austerity - Shibui/Shibumi

I think DownUpDave said it all in another thread - it's all about the sound. And this is one sweet sounding instrument. Its a bonus that it is also absolutely beautiful. Very interesting about the Zen aesthetics. I'm certainly growing fond of rosewood...........

I always love your sound samples. I don't know what it is that you play but it sounds so familiar and something I would like to learn how to repeat.

Thanks for posting!!!!

This instrument exudes the pinnacle of class, perfection and understated elegance. The sound certainly matches the looks, you really have a bucket list uke Hodge. Great review and sound sample as always. We really appreciate your indepth reviews and as Eddie said the subsequent sales of "herd thinning" ukes ;)

Congratulations on a marvelous ukulele.

Congrats Hodge. Great looking and sounding ukulele. Really, really like the tone. I love spruce tops and this one really delivers the clear, crisp and full sound. Enjoy and thanks for posting such great pictures and sound sample!

Congrats on a beautiful uke!

Nice TODA! Sounds extremely similar to the TODA tenor I used to own (rosewood with spruce top). Enjoy!

Last edited:
Superb purchase Hodge. Sound and aesthetics are wonderful. Congratulations.

Really sounds lovely and bell like. Thanks for the sample

Wow! This is only the second or third TODA I've heard but they've each been spectacular. This is really lovely! TODA's are so scarce, congrats on a great add to your collection!

Wow, congrats on the TODA! They are hard to come by and sound superb. Have seen and heard ( thou not in person ) around 3 TODAs so far ( Japanese sites ) and this one takes the cake!

Top Bottom