Motorcycle travel ukulele

When I take a uke along on my motorcycle, I take my Martin 0XK. Not much higher cost than a Flea or Fluke, (particularly when you start adding options to a Flea/Fluke), but to me, a nicer instrument. It goes in its hard case, which goes in a dry bag, which is strapped to the seat with Roc-Straps.

Keep the rubber side down!

Bill

A blackbird tenor uke is very durable but pricey unless you can locate a used one. They also make a guitar called Rider model that would work.

I don't know if it makes any sense to consider a Travel Guitar. You are comfortable with EGBD tuning, and you can easily keep the fifth and sixth strings off. Easy to check out at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc., not expensive and, are often available second hand. Just an idea.

Another vote for the fluke - and definitely call Magic Fluke - they're really nice and I've had good luck with seconds from them. They also used to make a great hard case for the flea (my daughter has one) and currently make a polyfoam case that is quite chunky (literally over twice the volume of the old hard case).

I 2nd the Outdoor Ukulele...
http://www.outdoorukulele.com/
https://www.facebook.com/OutdoorUkulele

Tenor model ($145 USD) Then find some strings that are all non-wound (so they won't damage the frets. You can't use wound strings on these ukes) and made for the dGBE (high D) tuning like these:
http://www.elderly.com/fremont-blac...kulele-set-re-entrant-or-bari-tuned-tenor.htm
or maybe these:
http://www.elderly.com/aquila-11u-tenor-uke-set-94969.htm

The instrument itself is waterproof....so not sure about a bag or case...whatever keeps it on the bike I guess. Anything. I don't know of a more durable uke. My personal opinion is that it also plays and sounds nice. We all have our different tastes there though of course.

Last edited:
Likely any uke will lose the durability contest if you dont keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. Unless of course you have a Calzone road case made for your instrument. In that same thought a regular hard case and waterproof bag will go a long way to protect any ukulele on a normal bike ride.

I ride old classic Honda cruisers myself and do not take very long trips like you appear to be set up for. I also own quite a few ukuleles bought around $100-$150 including an old unused pineapple Flea saved from hanging on a wall and a few various sopranos. I cant see being afraid to take anyone of these with me anywhere I would take any of my bikes that is.

~cheers~

Then again thinking about it the Risa stick is pretty solid and damn small. A small headphone or can amplifier would work well traveling on a bike.

Heck looking at it I think all three sizes together would fit in one of your saddlebags.

~AL~

I found a lightly used Kala travel tenor. It fits on the pannier nicely in the soft bag. Right out of the box I put some Worth brown bari strings on for a DGBE tuning. As I was putting on the strings I kept thinking of a line a ski touring partner says when we keep going in bad conditions. "It's not the smartest thing to do, but that's never stopped us in the past." I tried low G on a soprano once. That was the failed worse than I was expecting. This tuning may actually work. Yee Haw. I'll give it some time for the strings to settle in the give low G for a run.

Still not sure what I am going to do for a case. I may try to build an aluminum box.

Box came out ok. My first try at a case. Ready for a bike ride but just in time for ski season. So it may be a while.
IMG_3687_zps8ifuah8k.jpg

D tuning failed. Went to low G.

Last edited:
Took the box out for a ride this weekend. I don't notice it when riding. This is going to be great for camping.

IMG_3777_zpsn5qiwgkh.jpg

IMG_3780_zpsbxqdsmln.jpg

I've struggled with this same issue. I ride motorcycle, and always want to have a Uke with me. I could fit a Soprano in a gig bag diagonally in one of my Harley saddlebags. But now I'll be riding a Triumph Bonneville, and its a smaller motorcycle, with smaller bags. I'm thinking about all the different positions where a Concert size Uke could go. Tied vertically against an old fashioned sissy bar would be a good solution, but unfortunately I don't have one. That may, in itself, be a good excuse to get one. I used to enjoy putting my bike on its center stand, and laying back against the sissy bar with my feet up on the gas tank. Ah, those were the days! I'm thinking a Uke case could strap down on the top of a saddlebag, with the neck pointing toward the back. That would be a safe position for it. Or, it could be strapped down on top of my tail bag. But either of those solutions would require removing the Uke every time I wanted to get into the bag. Not so good. I'm going to keep on thinking about this.

I enjoy cycling, and it's an experience that can't be replicated by traveling by car. On such trips, they use a rented motorcycle not to risk ruining their bike themselves. When I choose a bike, I always want to choose a different one than the previous one. I like to ride all kinds of motorcycle models. I was thinking about buying another motorcycle, but I do not know which bike to choose. Maybe someone understands the technical characteristics of motorcycles and can help me with advice?

IMG_20161224_124957835.jpg
You could try one of these lol. I just throw my uke in the basket and tie it down with Rok-straps.IMG_20180409_141002983.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy cycling, and it's an experience that can't be replicated by traveling by car. On such trips, they use a rented motorcycle not to risk ruining their bike themselves. When I choose a bike, I always want to choose a different one than the previous one. I like to ride all kinds of motorcycle models. I was thinking about buying another motorcycle, but I do not know which bike to choose. Maybe someone understands the technical characteristics of motorcycles and can help me with advice?

Motorcycle go vroom vroom and fast. I like riding motorcycles. Buy one size bigger than you need. Power is good. The technical aspects are fun to understand.

View attachment 134221
You could try one of these lol. I just throw my uke in the basket and tie it down with Rok-straps.View attachment 134222

I'd be scared to ride those on the road. How fast can they accelerate? I owned a Yamaha Majesty maxi scooter (I think it was 250cc?? or 400cc??, can't remember); when I was merging onto the highways the first time, the thought about getting off and help push it came to mind.

BTW, since you are in the bay area, are you on BARF?

WRT the OP's question. I think a soft backpack style bag or some other bag that can hook onto your backpack (if you wear one) might work well. Many motorcycle packs come with rain cover; or you can use a thick garbage bag; hopefully it shouldn't rain that much on your trips, I assume you check weather often (I was really up and up on the weather when I was riding, especially on a long trip).

The tenor is longer, which probably will create more carry problem than thickness because more motorcycle cases are more limiting on long objects than fat objects.

Make sure you consider crash situations. I'd hate to crash wearing something that can catch onto objects (like a backpack that won't separate from me).

My bike was stolen and I could not afford to get a replacement in the quality I wanted. I could have bought and older model which needed work. So I picked up a higher end electric bicycle to get around the urban area. It is great fun and works well for trips that are under 40km from a railway station, but its much to slow for 1000km day trip. But I can still do a 1000km fortnight trip on the bike if I want to.

I just use plywood ukes for touring on long trips on bicycles and when I had my motorbike. Just in a simple bag, you could use a pillow case if you lost the soft case. Or even without a case, just tied on top of the luggage. In the sun mostly, and a little bit of rain. The beauty of leaving the (soft) case packed away is that when you stop for lunch, the uke is on top, easy to access and play while the water boils. As long as it does not interfere with your vision, you can tie a uke on top, where ever you choose. It is very light and if you work it out, you will not need a high tension strap to hold it on safely, maybe just an octopus strap. Another option for a shorter trip is to hang it off your back, which might be dangerous if you do fall off. You really do not need a hard case on a bicycle or motorbike, you just need to carefully tie the uke on top of the luggage, and you need to bring the right uke.

If you are going to a festival or job or event where you have a playing part, maybe then you would pack a nicer uke inside a hard case and strap it onto the bike. But you can find plywood ukes which will do the job for most other two wheel adventures. If you are really keen, you could even commission a custom plywood uke which has some stronger attachment points so you can tie it on. Maybe you could order a nice little plywood soprano with a painted finish to match the bike, and with stronger strap pins fitted and a headstock with an attachment point so you can just tie it on top? Give everyone a surprise when they think you have a painted over $30 Mahalo and it has an amazing tone and is easy to play, but its actually a custom uke from a well known maker?

How about removable Command hooks and your own paint job?

I would not trust Command Hooks on a long hot day on the road. They are great for normal circumstances, but it is no fun at all if something falls off the bike during a 1000km day when the glue lets go due to heat and tension combined and you have no idea where. I tied the uke onto the bike with a tie point on the headstock and an octopus strap over the body under just the right tension.

Oh good point.

I'd be scared to ride those on the road. How fast can they accelerate? I owned a Yamaha Majesty maxi scooter (I think it was 250cc?? or 400cc??, can't remember); when I was merging onto the highways the first time, the thought about getting off and help push it came to mind.

BTW, since you are in the bay area, are you on BARF?

Can't take them on the freeway. They're on 50 cc. Put on a 70 cc cylinder so it can hit 50 but still... I ride in a moped gang. Picture 150 of them going over the Golden Gate. People all stand with cameras and wave at us lol. They're great for slow rides in those Oakland hills. Can go play a uke up there. Don't get on BARF. I'm just on a bunch of moped sites. They're like 35+ yo so the motto is Mopeds, no problems. Drive safe.

Top Bottom