Fingerpicker--best uke for under $500

diasuke

Reaction score
Hello there,

I just sold my mainland red cedar/rosewood concert. Nothing wrong with it, I just got tired of playing it I guess. I'm looking for something new under $500.

As you can see from the videos below I am a banjo player who fingerpicks the uke.

Which uke is best for me as a fingerpicker? I also play with a guitar on occasion. I'm open to all sizes/woods but seem to be partial to concert or tenor sizes because I need the volume.

I hope I didn't just get rid of the best uke for me--my Mainland. If I did, I'll just buy another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEkLt11T7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFWtxFWRd8

Not to sound too flippant, but whatever uke you have is the best one. I fingerpick on my sopranos, concerts and baritones. It is my preferred method of playing. The only reason I don't list tenor is because I no longer have one, but I did on that when I owned one as well. I would recommend you find a uke you like and go with it!

Maybe try an Ohana CK35L - tenor neck, concert body, solid mahogany - I just got one & rather like it, (I also bought an Ohana SK30L to keep it company). ;)

To me, which uke is less important than the most comfortable scale length for you, and the height of the action. Next would be strings that feel good to you. Again, for my $, the best uke under $500 would be a great quality used one that would normally sell for a whole lot more new.

Last edited:
I have no objection to a used Uke, in fact I rather prefer one. Any suggestions from the marketplace ?

I too play the 5-string banjo. For me, without question, a Pomo baritone is the best fit for your needs and budget.

Hello there,

I just sold my mainland red cedar/rosewood concert. Nothing wrong with it, I just got tired of playing it I guess. I'm looking for something new under $500.

As you can see from the videos below I am a banjo player who fingerpicks the uke.

Which uke is best for me as a fingerpicker? I also play with a guitar on occasion. I'm open to all sizes/woods but seem to be partial to concert or tenor sizes because I need the volume.

I hope I didn't just get rid of the best uke for me--my Mainland. If I did, I'll just buy another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEkLt11T7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFWtxFWRd8

Aren't you really just asking what's the best Uke for under $500?

For what it's worth I own a Pono MT and a Cordoba 30 series Ukulele
and both can be had for under $500 from HMS. My aim was to buy bargain
priced professional quality instruments.

Gary

I own a Cordoba 32T that I think is excellent for finger picking; mostly because of the wider nut (1.5") and relative volume. However it is not my favorite for strumming. In a mix with other players it seems to standout a bit much. I'm still looking for the perfect Uke for my style - but I don't think it is anywhere to be found. I just played a "Kimo" tenor ukulele at Hale Ukulele in San Diego. Very beautiful instrument, wonderful tone and very good playability at a fair price for a small custom builder. When im ready for a high end instrument, the Kimo will get another look.

Last edited:
Under $500 - play every uke you can lay your hands on and see what speaks to you. Under $500 I love my flea, but I've run into the occasional laminate or other random uke that knocks my socks off.

My KoAloha Opio sapele concert sounds great when finger picked. It was $405 on The Ukulele Site. I did a lot of listening to sound samples of ukes in my budget before landing on it. I also have a concert fluke which sounds really nice when picked.

You can get a uke that sounds pretty good for your budget. As to playability for fingerpicking, there's no substitute for trying ukes out, if you can, before you buy one.

There is a Kiwaya KTS-5 in the marketplace. It is in your price range including shipping. I am also a guitar and banjo player, fingerstyle and clawhammer, but for some reason, I prefer the soprano ukulele. The KTS-5 is solid Mahogany and looks like a Martin 0, but with an extended fingerboard. Kiwaya ukuleles are very expressive and I have 3 of them. Good luck in your search.

I have a Mainland red cedar/ rosewood and find it very loud with the stock Aquila strings (and I prefer fluorocarbon strings on my other ukes).

So if loud is what you're looking for....

Try an Eastman. All solid mahogany and nice low action (at least on the one I have).

Top Bottom