The nail shape of the right hand's index finger

zztush

Reaction score
There are two popular shapes of the nail on right hand's index finger as show below.

2aheayr.jpg

Their slopes are reverse. A is more popular than B in classical guitar. I always file my nail of index finger as B. I plunk strings at the inside tip (arrow). B is very good to me so far. I am curious what the difference is and why these two reverse shapes both work.

Last edited:
Mine has worn itself like A. I guess that is the angle I play at. I trim that top edge down once in a while, but for me it is what it is.

I trimmed my right thumbnail like B to use as a thumbpick, but it kept catching on everything and annoying me, so I sawed it off again. I've done that two or three times.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it takes awhile. :eek:ld:

Hi, Rllink! Thank you for the input.

Yes, it worn itself like A unless filed. Hence I have to file like B. Finger nail is basically trimmed for up strum (plunk) in my case. I think I strum (plunk) at the tip of the nail (arrow in B), and you strum with the worn face of the A. When I use the worn face of the A, the tone changes between up and down.

I trimmed my right thumbnail like B to use as a thumbpick, but it kept catching on everything and annoying me, so I sawed it off again. I've done that two or three times.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it takes awhile. :eek:ld:

Your trimming shape on thumb is B and it is same as Ohta-san's thumb. Thumb and index finger may be bit different direction against strings, we can not apply it directly to index finger.

I've got my index nail ramped like A. I aim for a smooth clean surface to glide on for speed and flow, if I had it like B my sound would be somewhat clunky and overly bright due to a mostly nail strike. I aim for a flesh/nail strike which gets me a balanced tone.

I bite and peel my nails (bad, nasty habit, I know), so I don't have to worry about it because mine are almost always below the tip of my finger.

There are two popular shapes of the nail on right hand's index finger as show below.

2aheayr.jpg

Their slopes are reverse. A is more popular than B in classical guitar. I always file my nail of index finger as B. I plunk strings at the inside tip (arrow). B is very good to me so far. I am curious what the difference is and why these two reverse shapes both work.

I've got fairly tough nails. Having said that they do tend to get "abused", ripping open packaging, scraping labels or whatever, gardening and general handiwork. The only time one of my nails gets filed into a "fancy shape" is when the other side of it has broken off, otherwise the profile of the nail closely follows the profile of my fingertip, just a mm or two beyond ;)

I've got fairly tough nails. Having said that they do tend to get "abused", ripping open packaging, scraping labels or whatever, gardening and general handiwork. The only time one of my nails gets filed into a "fancy shape" is when the other side of it has broken off, otherwise the profile of the nail closely follows the profile of my fingertip, just a mm or two beyond ;)

Yeah, I agree with kypfer. Except, since I play a lot of Clawhammer, I'm very, very careful with my index and middle fingers nails. I just don't do the things with 'em that he mentions.

I'm learning to use my left hand to do the things, kypfer, mentioned. One can have a good laugh watching me. :eek:ld:

I've got fairly tough nails. ... The only time one of my nails gets filed into a "fancy shape" is when the other side of it has broken off, otherwise the profile of the nail closely follows the profile of my fingertip, just a mm or two beyond ;)

^this^ is how I keep my nails, but more like 2.0mm-to-2.5mm beyond the fingertip, and yes very ROUND in shape, and not angled at all. Works great for me both strumming and finger-style.

My right indexfinger has a rounded nail, I prefer it that way
It leaves more options for hand placement...
Thumb pick/no thumb pick, palm mute or no, natural harmonics or artificial harmonics..
It's a prefrence that works well for me..
I guess it all boils down to prefrence

This is all very complicated - I'm lucky to grow mine at all (not that it would make a lot of difference to my playing). I put it down to too much drudgery and too little Vitamin D.

Top Bottom