Blackbird Clara Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Excellent review as usual. I was fortunate enough to get one of these a few weeks ago, and can't wait for it to get here next week (it is currently with Blackbird).

You WON'T be disappointed.

I don't really care for low G, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as you seem to with mine strung with a high G. It sounds like I would need to try a warmer string if it's going to be strung high G.

Yes, it's certainly very bright. Saying that - Blackbird do offer high G as an official option, so they must be happy with it.

I got one of these earlier this year after seeing it at a Kimo Hussey class at ASU. It is by far the nicest thing I own. It's really, really, really, really good. I would absolutely buy it again.

I don't really care for low G, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as you seem to with mine strung with a high G. It sounds like I would need to try a warmer string if it's going to be strung high G.

Don't worry, sounds great either way. I had mine strung reentrant with Aquila Reds and it sounded awesome. Had a nice vintage "thang" to it. Those strings aren't for everyone, but most strings are relatively inexpensive so experiment and tell what your ears prefer.

Great review as always. A Clara is still at the top of my bucket list. I think it certainly rules it's price range.

The more I play my Clara the more I like it. Preferred strings (so far) are Oasis warms in High G. I do low G every so often just for variety, but high G suits my music choices better. I've liked Aquila reds in other formats, so I'll have to try those soon.

Baz, thanks for another great review. I'm very interested in these ukes made by Blackbird, either the BTU carbon fiber or the Clara, some day, when I have the funds....

Your review confirms my own impressions from afar, as I've not had the pleasure to play one yet.

Thanks for keeping on with giving us such detailed and honest reviews.

Many of us here on UU really do appreciate it.:)

I also wanted to add my congratulations for yet another wonderful review...and your love of the instrument was evident through the recording. A BlackBird may also be on my "bucket list." Right now, however, a KoAlana Tenor for daily use and a couple of Mainland Tenors (Cedar and Mango) are next on my list.

I have to figure out if I can find BlackBirds anywhere in my area just to try them!

First it was the Waverly tuners. That wasn't so bad. Now it's the Blackbird. I'm getting a bad case of wanting what I can't have. I might have to stop following your reviews Baz. Maybe you should put a warning up.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Pono. ...
Oh, the sweet Pono.

Ha ha Jeffelele!

Thanks all - was a pleasure to write this one.

Thanks Barry, great review.
But, dadgummit, you have made me want one. And I thought my want-itis was over with the purchase of my Cocobolo! The idea of a uke made so well, with sustainable materials is just too good to be true.
Blackbird probably won't be able to make them fast enough to keep up with the demand.
And it's NOT made in China! yay!

Top Bottom