How NOT to dye the rosette.

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just started an all mahogany tenor on which I'm going to put a simple herringbone rosette(no purfling etc). The rosette is wooden with white chevrons contained within a black ring. The mahogany is African and is very light in colour, so I want to dye it with dark Walnut dye( I'm stealing Ken's idea from an earlier post using Birchwood Casey water based dye). I obviously don't want to dye the rosette. My first thoughts are to get a small artist type paintbrush and carefully apply shellac to the rosette without touching the surrounding top, in the hope that this will prevent the rosette from taking the dye.
Does this sound feasibe, or are there other ways? thanks Mike.

Hi everyone, I've just started an all mahogany tenor on which I'm going to put a simple herringbone rosette(no purfling etc). The rosette is wooden with white chevrons contained within a black ring. The mahogany is African and is very light in colour, so I want to dye it with dark Walnut dye( I'm stealing Ken's idea from an earlier post using Birchwood Casey water based dye). I obviously don't want to dye the rosette. My first thoughts are to get a small artist type paintbrush and carefully apply shellac to the rosette without touching the surrounding top, in the hope that this will prevent the rosette from taking the dye.
Does this sound feasibe, or are there other ways? thanks Mike.
You can dry fit the rosette nice and flush first, then lift it out of the groove, dye the body then glue the rosette back in afterwards.

thanks both of you, I'm not sure how confident I am to achieve such a flush dry fit, that wouldn't need sanding once glued back in. I'll give the dry fit a try first, and then decide what to do next. And Ken, if I did it that way, would it be better to shellac over the dyed wood surrounding the channel before gluing the rosette in, to prevent the ca glue from affecting the area. The final finish will be tru oil.Cheers Mike.

Top Bottom