Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap Buttons Outdoor Ukulele

Default Strap Buttons Outdoor Ukulele

Hello everyone...

Not quite sure this is the right sub forum for this, but I would like to add strap buttons to my Outdoor Ukulele (tenor). I can send it back to the, for the service, but I am wondering if I can do it myself?

From other threads I saw the suggestion of a molly...does anyone have a Outdoor Ukulele with a strap button that can tell me how they attached it?

I have installed strap buttons on my other ukuleles...but they are all wood (even bought strap buttons to match the tuning peg colors).

Thanks in advance for feedback/suggestions. Worst case: sending it back to Outdoor Ukulele for the surgery.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I have a tenor Outdoor ukulele that has strap buttons installed. They use a standard button but the screw is replaced by a small stainless steel bolt that uses a nylon lock-nut on the inside. they must have some special tools to hold the lock-nut as access is very restricted.

Sounds cool. Do you have any pictures of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I do not like the way screws stress plastic over time. Also in an outdoor situation, the wrong screw selection will result in a rusty screw. So I drilled 2 x 1.5mm holes in the bottom end of the Outdoor Uke and another two in the heal. Then I tied a loop of strong cord at each position and tie the strap to the loop. A benefit is that it does not make the Outdoor uke 10mm longer in the pack. Note that the holes are 1.5mm, a tiny drill bit twisted in a with pin vice by hand, not 10mm gaping holes, you have to look hard to find them if the loop of cord is not fitted.
    Then I use a bootlace or something similar as a strap so it can stay on the uke all the time and not get in the way when you are packing the pack.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Attachment 94891Attachment 94892

When I have looked at the instrument, I noticed that I did not do the base as I thought I had. Instead I have drilled a 3 or 4mm hole and fed a loop with a big knot and rag sort of bead to hold it in place. Not a glass bead which may buzz, just some clothe to stop the loop coming out. You get it in the hole by feeding through a piece of string first and tying the loop to the string. All the parts are polyester or nylon and dry quickly and wont rot.
    Bill, this is brilliant !

When I have looked at the instrument, I noticed that I did not do the base as I thought I had. Instead I have drilled a 3 or 4mm hole and fed a loop with a big knot and rag sort of bead to hold it in place. Not a glass bead which may buzz, just some clothe to stop the loop coming out. You get it in the hole by feeding through a piece of string first and tying the loop to the string. All the parts are polyester or nylon and dry quickly and wont rot.
    That's spiffy looking!

I'm thinking of using Command hooks for a bit until I figure out if I want a strap and where I should stick it. Do the holes in the neck (is the bottom of the neck called the heel?) cause any changes in tone?
    "...how strange to see that I don't want to be the person that I want to be." - Amanda Palmer, In My Mind (NSFW)

I like that, too. I did not order mine with strap buttons as I mistakenly thought they were just selling the buttons, not including installation. So, I kicked myself for a long while for missing out. But, the aspect of stressing the plastic over time was a consideration that I consoled myself with for not adding strap buttons.

With this way, it seems there is less stress to the ukulele. I think I would drill the one hole in the lower bout, feed a cord with a knot on the end, and tie the other end at the headstock. I play sitting down, so I am not holding the weight up while I play, just keeping the neck in position.

Thanks for the idea!
    - Laura

A Uke Leash (Ukeleash.com)is the answer to your problem.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    A Uke Leash (Ukeleash.com)is the answer to your problem.
    Already have one. Want to convert it to a traditional strap (with uke leash adapters, incidentally)
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I wear one of mine around my right shoulder to the peghead. Works good and keeps the head up.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

This is pretty ingenious - well done Bill!
    Also, is that a black one? I never knew they made black. I like that they seem to switch up the colors fairly regularly. Keeps it fresh/new.

"If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information