I'm going to build a binding jig

Dan, I have a cheep, ER cheap, articulated-arm binding machine that I can send you; from my 2001 era Luthery days.

Thanks Rrgramps, I have two articulated arms that might work with that. :D

But my parts arrived last night, so I'll stick to my plan.

Still have the guitar that I made with herring-bone purfling and dark binding. I'll dig that old guitar out too and take a picture for this thread.
It's really pitiful compared to the ukuleles that grace these pages though.

Looks great to me!

I glued the wood binding into my handheld rebates last night. The top worked great. The back not so great. The slightly angled rebates made it much harder to get a tight fit where the sculpted sides and non-sculpted, overly thick bindings were already working against me.

The worst one by far is my first which I fitted with the woodglue, masking tape and fabric tape wrap method. Switched to CA glue and finger pressure after that. Much easier and a much better result. I'm still deciding whether to unglue the first, route it back out, or leave it as a permanent reminder of how not to bind.

Last edited:
I found i need two bases for hand held.
Flat for the 28' top and radiused for the tighter 15' back so it indexes only on the edge.
However, when it indexes only on the edge it is easy to tilt off the verticle.
I always have to go back and touch up the upper bout on the back because of this but it only takes 5mins at most

Top Bottom