Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String suggestions for my new Brüko soprano?

Default String suggestions for my new Brüko soprano?

I just bought a Brüko no 5 soprano and I like it a lot. Very pretty and well build with a solid mahogany body and a one piece maple neck.

I changed the factory strings to GHS's, but I think they sound a little hard and bright... Any suggestions for a warmer sound? I have aquilas on my other ukes and love the sound of those, but I'm not sure they would work on this one - might be too bright. Or?

I've heard about Worths and Fremont, but havent tried them myself.

What do you all suggest for a warmer mellower sound?

Here's a sample of how it sounds with GHS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B15LzQepm4

Cheers!

Close to the arctic circle, northern sweden. -Yurop

Default inte behöver du byta strängar!

I can't really hear the need for a different sound
    As far as strings go, I've tried d'addarios, galli, romana and aquila. All of those were guite sharp to my ears. Alas: I'm damaged from playing fretless bass with Flatwound strings

swe: Jag tycker att det låter skitbra som det är

i think it sounds nice with the ghs strigns

Default Sounds good to me!

Try some Ko'olau Golds. I changed the Aquila's on my soprano for some and I think it sounds more mellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    Try some Ko'olau Golds. I changed the Aquila's on my soprano for some and I think it sounds more mellow.

Thank you.

I'd like to try those, but I don't know where I can get them. Are they available anywere in Europe?

Agreed! Plus visually, their gold color mixes nicely with that kind of gaudy finish that Bruekos have.

Hope you can get your hands on some in Europe.

EDIT: Whoop, just checked out the model you got. Definitely not gaudy. Mine on the other hand...
    Nonetheless, the Ko'olaus would sound sweet.
    Last edited by ukeatan; 04-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron K View Post
    Thank you.

I'd like to try those, but I don't know where I can get them. Are they available anywere in Europe?
    Check with Elderly or MGM, I don't see why they couldn't send you a set.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnko Honu View Post
    Check with Elderly or MGM, I don't see why they couldn't send you a set.
    Thanks, I think I might do that. If the swedish taxes aren't too hight (they always are...).

Cheers!

Default Hope I'm not too late!

Hey Baron K

Check out www.dukeofuke.co.uk thats where I got mine. Its in the UK so should save you a little on postage.

Also if you go to www.ohanaukuleles.co.uk/dealers.htm I believe all the dealers listed stock Ko'olau strings.

Hope you find a good deal
    Four months playing ukulele = 1x Mahalo + 1x Koa Pili Koko + 1x Kanile'a K1. All Sopranos

Hey Baron K

Check out www.dukeofuke.co.uk thats where I got mine. Its in the UK so should save you a little on postage.

Also if you go to www.ohanaukuleles.co.uk/dealers.htm I believe all the dealers listed stock Ko'olau strings.

Hope you find a good deal
    Thanks for that tip! I'll check em out!

I just put some Aquilas on and I think it sounds a lot better than the D'addario's (it wasn't GHS like a said before but D'Addario's). I've made little video sound samples on it and might post a "string comparison test" soon. Tonight I'm gonna visit a guy who builds ukes on which he puts high quality fishing line! He claims it's exactly the same as Worth clear strings (material, quality, gauge etc). It'll be interesting for sure...

One strange things when I put on the Aquilas though: The 2nd (E) string jsut wouldnt intonate right! I didn't stretch it very hard or anything, but it just didn't sound right. Even when picking the loose string, it didnt sound "even" which also showed on the tuner. I had to steal a string from another uke. This was also aquila, but 6 months old. Worked perfect. I never had that problem with aquilas before.

Thread Information