Which NONWOUND Low G string to match Ko'olau string sets?

King David

Reaction score
Hey all, running into my first predicament with the new 5 string ukulele I've acquired. I love the all plain Ko'olau Alohi strings, which come reentrant and again all nonwound strings. I need a low G for the 5th on my new Ohana that plays nice with the Alohis and yes it must be non-wound. What in your experience has been the go to for low G nonwound when mixing with those lovely Ko'olau string sets? Thanks & Aloha!

If you like the alohi's they're pretty much rebranded d'addario titaniums.
Matching that is hard, because they don't make strings in the titanium material in the proper gauge to be unwound.
Have you tried the wound low G alohi set? Apparently ko'olau thinks those are good, but they're really squeeky to my ear.. and kinda don't blend.

I'm becoming more and more partial to the TI smooth wounds for the 3rd/4th. They blend well with just about everything and using wound 3/4 and fc 1/2 tends to get the best of both worlds. The TI's don't stick out as much as other wounds seem to, and also have minimal squeak.

If it has to be unwound... I think Worth has the best unwound fc. Nylon low G... are just way too fat, and tend to have intonation issues. Aquila red low g... doesn't blend well imho, even with other aquila, unless you go all aquila red.

If you like the alohi's they're pretty much rebranded d'addario titaniums.

If that's the case, a fluorocarbon string at either .035 or .038 should match pretty well. Sarah Maisel uses the titaniums and fluoro .035 for her low G unwound set, and it works well.

Living Waters has a nice 5 string flouro carbon set. All unwound strings. I use them on my Ohana.

Need the non wound specifically because my nails don't hold up with wounds and vigorous playing, not just a tone thing...

Need the non wound specifically because my nails don't hold up with wounds and vigorous playing, not just a tone thing...

Have you tried smooth wounds? Thomastik Infeld, freemont, and a couple others make them. They're smooth. My nails are not particularly strong either, and they work nice for me.

Otherwise, Jon's suggestion seems pretty good.

Have you tried smooth wounds? Thomastik Infeld, freemont, and a couple others make them. They're smooth. My nails are not particularly strong either, and they work nice for me.

Otherwise, Jon's suggestion seems pretty good.

It's a Moh's scale of hardness thing, not texture.. the nails, acrylic or natural, are not as hard as metal and it wears them down to the flesh (wound/flat/smooth or whatever). Need non wounds, thanks for the suggestions friends!

Top Bottom