Shop Made Jigs

Dominator

Reaction score
I did not want to hi-jack Dan Gleibitz’s thread on building the binding jig so decided to create a new post.

In Dan’s thread Beau said, “Damn those tools are expensive”, referring to links to some pretty pricey tools available online. For some of the relatively easier ones I sometimes take a crack at trying to come up with something similar that will function as intended.

A few years back I made this prototype of the edge vise I saw demonstrated in one of Robbie O’Brien’s videos. It works so well I have never made another one.
IMG_0936.jpgIMG_0937.jpg

And most recently I saw a thread here talking about this expensive nut/saddle sander jig from StewMac. I made a prototype and then tightened up the tolerance a bit on this one made with maple.
IMG_0938.jpg

I could have made my binding jig but at the time I had a good corporate job and used some cash from a bonus check to purchase one from John at Blues Creek Guitars.

I just wish I had the experience with, and the tools to do machine work like our good friend Timbuck. He blows my mind with the stuff he can churn out.

Athough I've had a WorkSharp tool sharpener for ten years, it was collecting dust because it just didn't do what I expected. Stumpy Nubs came along with a platform jig to expand the capabilities of it, which sounded plausible, so I built it. I'm really happy with it, and this jig has replaced scary-sharp systems I have used in the past, by a far margin.

It handles any width plane or chisel, and uses either sandpaper or polishing compound to produce mirror-finish, ultra sharp tools.

Last edited:
:iwant: Mind Blown! love stuff like this.. I am not the greatest jig builder for sure. But seeing stuff like this makes me want to try.. keep them coming!

Tool making is what makes us what we are as a species, we just see an idea and improvise on it to suit whatever purpose we require it for.

One of my favourite devices is the "underwater timing device" for detonating "Magnetic Limpit Mines" on enemy shiping during WW2 ..It was made from an aniseed ball and a condom :D see here http://davetrott.co.uk/2016/05/suck-on-that/

I also like this quote. :cool:

For me that’s real creativity.
What I love is none of it was about technology.
They didn’t try to be the first to use the latest thing that had just been developed.
They used what was available to everyone, everywhere.
And they used it to out-think everyone else.
Because they used it in a different way.

Their ‘unfair advantage’ was creativity.

Last edited:
Athough I've had a WorkSharp tool sharpener for ten years, it was collecting dust because it just didn't do what I expected. Stumpy Nubs came along with a platform jig to expand the capabilities of it, which sounded plausible, so I built it. I'm really happy with it, and this jig has replaced scary-sharp systems I have used in the past, by a far margin.

It handles any width plane or chisel, and uses either sandpaper or polishing compound to produce mirror-finish, ultra sharp tools.

Looks like this will do the trick indeed. I'm using the Shop Strop system but it has some limitations.

That edge vise is great, and the ability to change templates makes it a versatile tool. How have you attached the threaded bits to the sliding blocks?

I used a dremel to grind a groove in the end of the threaded rod. The allen screw gets tightened enough to go into the groove and still allow the thread to turn.

Tool making is what makes us what we are as a species, we just see an idea and improvise on it to suit whatever purpose we require it for.

One of my favourite devices is the "underwater timing device" for detonating "Magnetic Limpit Mines" on enemy shiping during WW2 ..It was made from an aniseed ball and a condom :D see here http://davetrott.co.uk/2016/05/suck-on-that/

I also like this quote. :cool:

For me that’s real creativity.
What I love is none of it was about technology.
They didn’t try to be the first to use the latest thing that had just been developed.
They used what was available to everyone, everywhere.
And they used it to out-think everyone else.
Because they used it in a different way.

Their ‘unfair advantage’ was creativity.
That's a great story. Thanks for posting that one.

I used a dremel to grind a groove in the end of the threaded rod. The allen screw gets tightened enough to go into the groove and still allow the thread to turn.

See, I never would have worked this out for myself. Brilliant.

I made the ugliest jig ever tonight. It's called The Ultimate Forgetful Guy's Tenor Neck Reinforcing Jig(tm). It's a bit of board with a T shape roughly cut in it to allow me to clamp a finished neck (with faceplate, etc.) to my workbench while providing a straight edge to rout a slot for the carbon fibre rod. I'm going to burn it and in future do this before I make the first cut.

QUOTE]

Cheers Ken,
just spent an awful long time when I should be doing other things looking at the other posts in that blog! There's a good post on Nina Simone's Strange Fruit protest song.
Well worth taking a browse through that blog.
h

Top Bottom