Guide to Campanella Fingerstyle

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

for anyone who is interested in learning campanella style fingerpicking (pioneered by the late great John King), I've recently made a guide that you can download for free from my website, http://jons-ukulele.com

In the PDF you'll learn what campanella is, some basic fingerpicking techniques, common scales (not much point in learning the obscure ones you'll never use) and a few practice tunes to get you going. All the scales and tunes have an accompanying video on YouTube - the links are in the PDF.

I hope I can encourage you to at least have a go at this technique which can be very rewarding. Most of John King's arrangements are pretty tricky so the tunes in the guide are quite simple and designed to help you get up to speed before working on more challenging pieces, should you desire.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Everyone,

for anyone who is interested in learning campanella style fingerpicking (pioneered by the late great John King), I've recently made a guide that you can download for free from my website, http://jons-ukulele.com

Thank you ... guess what I'll be doing this evening :)

Great! I forgot to write that feedback is more than welcome, it may be a bit thin on right-hand techniques, but there is a link to a video where I cover most classical right-hand techniques.

@ jon
Thanks for making this available, looks interesting, will try it out sometime. :)

@Booli
I downloaded from the current link just now using Firefox on Linux. ;)

@Jonathan Lewis : oh thank you so much. New techniques ! yeay !

Hi,
try this link, it goes directly to the PDF:
http://jons-ukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Jons-Guide-to-Campanella-Fingerstyle-Ukulele.pdf

I'll make the download link on my website a bit more obvious, sorry about that!

Jon

Thanks Jon - the direct link works now and I was able to grab the PDF. I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow, and will give some feedback afterwards. Kudos to you for providing such a great resource!!
:)

@Booli
I downloaded from the current link just now using Firefox on Linux. ;)

Thanks brother - I'm good now with the help of our new friend as per above - and also used Firefox (v49) on Linux (Xubuntu 14.0.4.) :)

Thank you -downloaded it just fine and will take it camping this weekend. Looking forward to it.

You put this up just in time for me. I've got strumming down okay and wanted to finger pick, but my books only have blah tunes. I have a tenor that sounds especially harp like and has a nice soft touch to it. I was able to download the pdf and I'll have some time to spend waiting for the drywall mud to dry between coats!

Ooo, thanks! I took a quick peek at it and I have a question. How do I know which fingers to use when there is no PIMA? Just use what seems natural?

Yes! Once you've got the hang of fingerpicking around chords you should be able to decide fairly naturally which fingers to use. I agree with Tony Mizen (in 'From Lute to Uke', I think he was talking about both hands) that most players ignore the fingering instructions and do whatever they feel is best. I also think that it's an important part of a player's development to be figuring things out for themselves. In today's world of YouTube 'how to' videos we risk losing the ability to do things for ourselves (but that totally works for me when it comes to resolving tech issues ;-) )

Ooo, thanks! I took a quick peek at it and I have a question. How do I know which fingers to use when there is no PIMA? Just use what seems natural?

I hope my answer above helps, if not, feel free to get back to me with more questions,

Jon

I hope my answer above helps, if not, feel free to get back to me with more questions,

Jon

Yes, it helps! Thanks! I have to get out of the mindset that there is a "correct" way to do it and my way is wrong.

Can't wait to try it!

Top Bottom