Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger nails or lack thereof

Default Finger nails or lack thereof

I was forced into having to use a pick. I lost all my finger nails on my right hand due to. Strumming. I have weak nails. I liked how my ukulele sounded with my fingers strumming.. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

If you have a little nail, I advice Alaska Pik. Great, but need a little nail to put the pick between finger and nail. Really confortable and sounds almost like nails.

Alternative : Fred Kelly Picks Poly Freedom Finger Picks. They don't need nails, 'cause you will wear on your fingers.

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by mrStones View Post
    If you have a little nail, I advice Alaska Pik. Great, but need a little nail to put the pick between finger and nail. Really confortable and sounds almost like nails.

Alternative : Fred Kelly Picks Poly Freedom Finger Picks. They don't need nails, 'cause you will wear on your fingers.

Hope it helps
    Interesting pics. Thanks for letting me know about them.

I hope you like Jello(R) or other gelatin products

I had weak nails... that I chewed on as well, ahem, but I have 'stronger, thicker' nails
    now, I believe, from eating Jello(R) whenever it's available to me. [I don't make it
    for myself ] That's usually when I'm at a buffet, or potluck when someone brings
    a Jello(R) salad.

anyway, I believe adding Gelatin to your diet may help with strengthening your nails...
    and hair!

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV ?), as the saying goes. But that's my story and I'm
    sticking with it.

BTW, whenever I lead a song circle for an hour or so, I develop a curved hollow in
    my index fingernail where all that friction wears away the nail. Funny, the strings
    don't seem to be wearing like my nails are. I'm sure they are, though.
    Got to eat more Jello(R)!

keep uke'in',
    Last edited by Uncle Rod Higuchi; 10-20-2016 at 04:39 AM.
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

+1 vote on Alaska picks. I got them few years back when learning guitar, and they added the extra length that may be needed for wanted sound.
    However, they are not complete savior, as about 2mm (1/12th of an inch) of protruding nail is needed either way (the fingernail holds them propped against the finger)...
    (also, dexterity of fingers is decreased a bit - however this can be ironed out in extent with more practice)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    I hope you like Jello(R) or other gelatin products

I had weak nails... that I chewed on as well, ahem, but I have 'stronger, thicker' nails
    now, I believe, from eating Jello(R) whenever it's available to me. [I don't make it
    for myself ] That's usually when I'm at a buffet, or potluck when someone brings
    a Jello(R) salad.

anyway, I believe adding Gelatin to your diet may help with strengthening your nails...
    and hair!

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV ?), as the saying goes. But that's my story and I'm
    sticking with it.

BTW, whenever I lead a song circle for an hour or so, I develop a curved hollow in
    my index fingernail where all that friction wears away the nail. Funny, the strings
    don't seem to be wearing like my nails are. I'm sure they are, though.
    Got to eat more Jello(R)!

keep uke'in',
    Thanks I thought it was just me. I like jello I will have to give it a try. One problem I'm having with a pic is controlling it. It sounds very loud. I need to get some rhythm.

If you are happy with a single plastic pick, but are having a hard time holding on to it, get/use a thumb pick.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Keep at it...........you will get used to the pick..............plus it will give your fingernails a rest, and hopefully they will grow back stronger

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

I've gone through this torment for years now. I've tried everything, including all available picks, and salon nails. The salon nails worked well, but ruined my natural nails and nail beds. I've come down to using Alaska Picks. They are as close as you can get to natural nails in a pick. My own nails are weak, and crack and break as soon as they are grown out much at all. But, I can maintain just enough natural nail to support the Alaska Pick. Also, I've cut back to using just my thumb and index finger for picking. That works just fine for me. It works fine for Ledward Kanaapa too, although he uses old school Dunlop style thumb and finger picks. By using only the thumb and index finger for picking, I eliminate the uncomfortable crowded feeling I get when putting any style picks on several fingers. I hate the way it feels when picks are rubbing together while I play.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I tried Alaska Picks and didn't like them overly much. Very uncomfortable to me. I have good nails, but picks provide more volume so I like to use them sometimes. What I found works well are the Fred Kelly's Freedom Picks. They are put over the finger, like a thimble, and come in two different materials. Much more comfortable. (I also like their Slick Pick thumbpicks.)

As for finger nails, drinking lots of water, taking fish oil and magnesium/calcium supplements, as well as using a nail brush regularly, increases their strength noticeably.

Thread Information