Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger nails or lack thereof

I'm lucky in that I have really tough nails. They are even hard to cut. They have to be trimmed at least once a week. I'm growing the right hand ones out, but I cut the thumbnail already because it kept snagging my strings. Maybe I'll order a thumb pick.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I have my nails cut very short on both hands and I don't have any problem at all strumming with my index finger. Mostly I am strumming with the fleshy part at the tip because it sticks out so much farther than the nail... so far no pain, no bleeding, no irritation. I guess I must have developed strumming callouses??

I watched a YouTube video from Antigoni Goni on nail care. She talks about her secrets for strong nails. One of the things she recommends is Biotin supplement.
    I've been using Solgar brand Super High Potency Biotin 10,000 MCG. AND keeping my nails from dryin

https://youtu.be/1GgsWEIXWAg

Check it out.

I mentioned the Fred Kelly's Freedom Picks above, but there is another type of fingerpicks that I recently tried that I enjoy greatly: the ProPik FingerTone picks. Those are banjo-style picks, but most of the pad of the finger is uncovered, so the strings are (or can be) hit by both the rounded metal and the flesh. They look like this. I was surprised at how good this sounded, especially with my sopranos that tend to lose volume up the neck when played with just fingers. It's also possible to strum with them, which really doesn't work with most fingerpicks. Fingerpicks that cover the whole pad are also noisy and sound metallic. These FingerTone ones have a natural sound, at least in my ears, with much greater volume and clarity. They are also very comfortable, unlike most fingerpicks that cut into the area around the nail.

They are not worn like the Alaska Picks, but the nail looking part goes on the underside of the finger, like this. The only trouble with them is that you pretty much have to buy two or three of each size to figure out which sizes work for you. For me, it is L on middle, M on index, and S on ring finger. Recommendations based on hand size I had read didn't really work out for me, so I had to order twice before I had a set that fit my fingers. I use them with a heavy Slick Pick thumbpick (similar sound, I find), but thumbpicks exist in so many shapes and forms that it's all very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    I have my nails cut very short on both hands and I don't have any problem at all strumming with my index finger. Mostly I am strumming with the fleshy part at the tip because it sticks out so much farther than the nail... so far no pain, no bleeding, no irritation. I guess I must have developed strumming callouses??
    Same with me. I don't really grow my nails (and index finger is the question here) and file them. Basically I just cut my nails with a clipper. I'm right handed, so can't use scissors effectively in left hand, never learned I mean.
    Even now I have some nail breakage in my index finger, but nail is short, so no problems.
    When down strumming I'm quite sure there is some nail contact to string, but could be also flesh as the last one.
    Strumming up it would be reverse, mostly flesh but also maybe some index finger nail contact before leaving a string.

My fingertip on right hand index finger is soft, no callouses from strumming. No irritation either.
    For accompanying myself i don't need any nails, but I can certainly hear that is not very loud comparing if I take a pick in my right hand.

I was having so much trouble with my nails, practically having to learn to play all overf again, that I got frustrated and cut them off. I'm glad I did.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

for those who are looking for a way to strengthen strumming nails might I suggest Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails -
    I think that's what they're called.
    I use the clear product on my Thumbnail, Index fingernail, and Little (pinky) fingernail - the 3 I use when strumming.

I use my thumbnail strumming UP and the other 2 strumming down and the tips of the thumbnail and Index fingernail
    get worn down pretty quickly - that is, they need a reapplication when I get home to prep for the next song
    circle or gig

basically, it (the Hard as Nails coating) takes the wear and tear and gets worn down instead of that taking place
    on my actual nails.

seem to be working for me at this time.

the Hard as Nails product doesn't seem to make a difference when finger picking as that is done, by me, with the
    inside of the thumbnail plucking DOWN on the 3rd and 4th strings, and the underside of my index fingernail plucking
    UP on the 1st and 2nd strings - per the Gordon Mark 2-finger method. Check it out on YouTube - Gordon Mark gives
    a short ukulele lesson - a little over 2 min video

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    I mentioned the Fred Kelly's Freedom Picks above, but there is another type of fingerpicks that I recently tried that I enjoy greatly: the ProPik FingerTone picks. Those are banjo-style picks, but most of the pad of the finger is uncovered, so the strings are (or can be) hit by both the rounded metal and the flesh. They look like this. I was surprised at how good this sounded, especially with my sopranos that tend to lose volume up the neck when played with just fingers. It's also possible to strum with them, which really doesn't work with most fingerpicks. Fingerpicks that cover the whole pad are also noisy and sound metallic. These FingerTone ones have a natural sound, at least in my ears, with much greater volume and clarity. They are also very comfortable, unlike most fingerpicks that cut into the area around the nail.

They are not worn like the Alaska Picks, but the nail looking part goes on the underside of the finger, like this. The only trouble with them is that you pretty much have to buy two or three of each size to figure out which sizes work for you. For me, it is L on middle, M on index, and S on ring finger. Recommendations based on hand size I had read didn't really work out for me, so I had to order twice before I had a set that fit my fingers. I use them with a heavy Slick Pick thumbpick (similar sound, I find), but thumbpicks exist in so many shapes and forms that it's all very subjective.
    Hey Mivo, thank you for posting information on the Freedom Picks and the ProPiks. Those ProPik FingerTone picks look ideal for finger-picking on my steel string guitars, while saving my fingernails for picking on my ukuleles and nylon string guitars. I'm going to order some and give them a try!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    ahoy
    glad to know that i am not alone
    in not using finger nails
    find it easier to play using finger tips

your results may vary
    offer not good in sector R or D

yours truly
    mac

mac-

I thought the restriction on sectors R or D was only after curfew.

I'm working on a new, friendlier, more clever signature.

Thread Information