Season 245; "A Time Of Change"

Season 245. Submission 1 "When I'm Gone" (Written and performed by Phil Ochs)

When Geoff announced his great theme, I immediately thought of two Phil Ochs' songs: "Changes" and "When I'm Gone."

I woke this morning to hearing Myrna's magnificent performance of "Changes." And so now, I offer the other.

Oops! Missed a page out. Hopefully caught up now. Don't forget, PM me if I've missed you off the playlist.

Redpaul1: A Change is Gonna Come. Good choice of song, Paul and it worked well with your vocal style. The clawhammer type strum seems to be working OK.

Ginas uke: Ripple. Nice singing and great sounding uke, Gina. I liked the video too.

Barefootgypsy: Until it's Time For You to Go. Nice one, Lesley. Good choice of song and nicely done. Finger picking isn't easy. It took me quite a while to make it work. I never really did manage to co-ordinate thumb and two fingers and I just pick with thumb and forefinger. It works for me. Everyone has to find their own solutions in the end.

Pabrizzer: Time. Nice one, Brian. I like the way you''ve used the contrasting aspects of time to mirror the style of 'Turn, Turn, Turn'. The simple picked accompaniment suits the simple delivery of the song.

Last edited:
Samhain is coming up. It is also the time of the World Series.

Samhain is the Celtic Fire Festival heralding the end of the Agricultural Year. Samhain starts at sunset, October 31 and ends at Sunset on November 1. When the Cattle were brought back from their Summer pastures they passed between two fires, To protect them from whatever but In my mind to delouse them. A similar procedure was used on Betane, May Day. The tradition of Samhain is celebrated inGaelic speaking lands but predates these peoples. At Tara, The hall of the High King is the "Mound of the Hostages", a neolithic passage tomb that points to the Samhain sunrise. It is a time When the boundaries between "The Fields We Know" and "The land of Faerie"are very close.

In Christian tradition Halloween is part of a three day celebration honoring the Dead. On All Hallows Eve the graves of loved ones are visited and a meal is often eaten at the grave site. November 1, "All Saints Day" is a day devoted to the Saints who have passed to the other side. Tradition states that St Peter visits the Earth, as a beggar and grants boons to those who show kindness to him. November 2 is All Souls Day.

The Mexican Day of the dead is held at this time of the year. It dates back to Aztec times, at least where it was celebrated at the beginning of Summer and in honor of the goddess Mictecacihuatl who presided over the underworld and guarded the bones of the Dead.

In Ireland there is a tradition that children go out begging food. When the food was eaten it is believed that another soul would pass from Purgatory and into heaven. This tradition passed to the rest of Britain and there Soul Cakes were baked to the same effect. The song "Soul Cakes is believed to reflect this tradition as well orTrick or Treat which seems to be an American version of the practice.

Season 245. Submission 2 "Change" (A Tribute to BEVOMU and T-Rex) (Written and recorded by Marc Bolan)

(Geoff, I don't believe that I should be considered for any recognition for this submission; BEV is the star here.)

This vid is a tribute to BEVOMU for her passion in keeping the music of Marc Bolan and T Rex a presence on our Seasons.

She sings lead vocal and plays uke. That's a very quiet background vocal by me to make this a duet and eligible for the Season, as we've each sung this individually before. (And I apologize for any background noise!)

Comments about her great performance may be left here or with her terrific original solo vid of this song:

https://youtu.be/rEY3G3lOu-8?
list=PLeOoTkKV5j7InZeXHuaJIhoT5ZZnZd-YB

Last edited:
Hope this works!

I appreciate the problem. I rejected several possibilities for last week because I knew I'd never get them to the point where I could sing through without faltering at some point. OTOH, your entry doesn't have to be perfect. If you can get through a song without too many errors, most people won't notice so if you can get to that stage, bring it along. It was a point that was made to me many years ago about performing. "Most people don't notice your mistakes so keep going. The main thing is to keep going and the mistakes are forgotten". This summer just gone, there was a song that I had planned to end my set with. Normally I swap instruments for one in a different tuning for that song but there wasn't time for that so I had planned to use a capo instead to get that tuning. Unfortunately I forgot to pick up my capo when I went to perform so I ended doing it in the key comfortable for singing but using some chord shapes I wasn't too comfortable with so it didn't feel right while I was playing. Afterwards I was talking to someone who commented that they liked my choice of finishing song so I explained my problem and what I felt about the performance and his comment basically was that "it didn't show". The point is we are far more aware of our mistakes than others are.

I'll see how I go. I can rattle off a version as it is, but I really really want to include the solo. I'll see if I get time to sneak it in before the deadline.

"Change" (A Tribute to BEVOMU and T-Rex)
what a completely lovely and wonderful thing to do! thank you SO much! *huge hug*

marc rocks

tumblr_nnbf29svfr1rrpck6o1_500.gif

and so do you!

This song is about the change that happened to a city. Where has the happiness gone? Roberto Carlos recorded it in the late 60s, the time when the military dictatorship took over Brazil.

Leaving the table

Third and final Cohen song: Leaving the table.
Leonard has gotten old and he knows it. Sex drive has gone.
The wretched beast is tamed. He has had a good meal.
Life has been a feast but now he is leaving the table,
so blow out the flame. The cord of life will soon be cut.

Last edited:
Pete Seeger put a positive twist into Leviticus with his song. At my age I plan for tomorrow but live for today. This song is one that reflects my changing attitude.

Another German song: Heute Hier, Morgen Dort". A link to a translation is in the video description.

More comments. As usual, PM me if I've missed you off the playlist.

Turtledrum: When I'm Gone. Another delicate Phil Ochs song and another song that deals with our mortality. Very nicely done and excellent finger picking.

Limousin Lil: Landslide. You have certainly made this song your own performing very differently from Stevie Nicks. An interesting take on the song.

IamNoMan: Time of the Season. Good choice of song, Tommy and well sung.

Turtledrum & BEVOMU: Changes. Great collaboration you two. A fitting tribute both to BEV and to TRex.

Lelouden: As Time Goes By. Of course it works. Lovely relaxed singing and great sounding baritone. What's not to like.

UkeFoote: Blue Monk. Excellent playing, Brian. Sounded really good and the clip of Thelonious Monk was a great touch.

Lelouden: Colours. Great song and great performance, Linda. Great picking and excellent instrumental break. You're definitely a star of the Seasons.

AlanDP: Back When The Old Homeplace Was New. I liked that song, Alan. Nice performance too.

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele: The Power of Goodbye. Excellent song, Lynda and loved the whole performance. The drumbeat was definitely a good addition even if it was to help you to keep to tempo. Worth keeping in.

Tootler: A Blacksmith Courted Me. The less said about that the better. :)

Frisbee Fred: Time After Time. Great song and well sung. Nice mellow sounding uke which suits your performance perfectly.

Bone Soup: Do Outro Lado Da Cidade. Nice one. I may not have understood the words but I loved the rhythm.

wee_ginga_yin: Leaving the Table. Great song and I liked the way you did this. The effects and the last supper pictures were really effective. I didn't have too much trouble making out the words - may because I'm used to the accents of the UK. You've certainly had quite a Leonard Cohen Fest this week!

IamNoMan: Today. Nice to have a cheery upbeat song for a change, especially after listening to a Leonard Cohen song. This song sounds vaguely familiar.

PlastikUke: Heute Hier, Morgen Dort (Day to Day). A pretty song and thanks for the link to the translation. Nice performance too.

wee_ginga_yin: Leaving the Table. Great song and I liked the way you did this. The effects and the last supper pictures were really effective. I didn't have too much trouble making out the words - may because I'm used to the accents of the UK. You've certainly had quite a Leonard Cohen Fest this week!

Sometimes when you see lips moving on camera then it is easier to hear and understand the words.
When you go for a more graphic approach the visual noise can drown out the audio.
I think Cohen may have been referencing the gaming tables and the gambles he has taken in life...
but I thought the passover table and the celebration of freedom from slavery was a far better motif...
stepping back from the clowns... leaving the altar of rock and roll... and all that is phoney and cartoonish...
hence the various depictions in the video.

I have these thoughts running around in my head and I sometimes wonder if folk understand
the point I am trying to get across... using such a famous painting of the last supper and
contrasting it with secular themes may be construed by some as being irreverent
and that was never my intention.

Top Bottom