Where do you purchase your strings?

Choboy

Reaction score
So we all know that the economy is exploding as we speak. :D
My question is where do you buy your strings?

For aquila strings the best site I found was elderly.com(link)

Aquila Nylgut Soprano Uke Set (Regular Tuning)
buy 1 for $5.00 ($5.00 ea.)
buy 3 for $14.25 ($4.75 ea.)
buy 5 for $22.50 ($4.50 ea.)

It's a great deal... but shipping is like another seven bucks or so.
anyone find a better deal? do share!

I refuse to buy Aquilas now. I just dont like the bright punchy sound. I always buy my strings straight from the UU store. Best prices on the web. (besides mgm's prices at least. although you really cant compare the two) Im happy with the sound of the Pro 'arte Daddarios. Mellow and smooth.

How are Aquila strings? I always wanted to try a set out.
I only went through two sets of strings on my uke. And that is the generic one it came with and the D'addarios from the UU store.

I love Aquila strings. They are quite punchy. My ukes are both strung with them. I just love the feel of them. They seem very thick and strong, and for some reason it seems to help my strumming and picking. I will be trying some D'Addarios next though. With the Aquilas, I have to trim my fingernails almost completely off, and mainly strum with my thumb, to get the more mellow and blended strumming tone I want.

I get my strings from a local shop. I am not the kind of person who will wait for shipping if I don't have to, haha. But if I like the D'Addarios, the UU store will be my shop from now on.

buy em from MGM. worth clears. although i could probably get them from work now.

Here's my mental flow for buying strings:

Are they ukulele Strings?
No --> walk/drive to the store and pick up the guitar strings I need
Yes --> continue to next step

Do I need them immediately?
No --> continue to next step
Yes --> walk/drive to the local store

Does MGM have them in stock?
No --> wait for MGM to stock them and continue to next step
Yes --> buy them from MGM

Are you tired of waiting for MGM to stock them?
No --> keep waiting until he stocks them
Yes --> walk/drive to local store or give MGM a call

Rather simple.

And on the topic of Aquilas, I used to think they were the most amazing strings in the world when I first started using them. But now, I don't really like Aquilas any more. And if it weren't for the fact that I've already invested quite a bit of money on the sets on my ukes, I would take them off and replace them with something different from Worths to D'addario Pro Artes, or maybe even try something totally new. The problem I have with Aquilas is that they hurt my fingers faster when I play because they are stiffer and have higher tension. But the worst thing about them is that they're no good for doing bends. It takes a LOT of effort to bend on those Aquilas.

And on the topic of Aquilas, I used to think they were the most amazing strings in the world when I first started using them. But now, I don't really like Aquilas any more. And if it weren't for the fact that I've already invested quite a bit of money on the sets on my ukes, I would take them off and replace them with something different from Worths to D'addario Pro Artes, or maybe even try something totally new. The problem I have with Aquilas is that they hurt my fingers faster when I play because they are stiffer and have higher tension. But the worst thing about them is that they're no good for doing bends. It takes a LOT of effort to bend on those Aquilas.

I like Aquilas on some of my ukes, but they seem rather "thuddy" on my Mainland red cedar tenor. Will try Worth clears or Bushman on them to see what difference they make. Aquilas are hard-feeling strings, but I don't really mind that when they sound good.

I usually get my strings from Elderly Instruments. These days I get various Worth clear and brown strings and maybe a couple of packs of D'Addario J71s. I try to order over their Free Shipping threshold of $89 if possible. Usually that would include buying some other stuff as well in the same order.

Another one for Elderly Instruments They seem to stock one of the wider selections of uke strings I've come across at reasonable prices. I'll buy a whole bunch a few times a year.

(Though if I'm picking something up from MGM, I'll usually toss a couple packs in the mix as long as I'm buying something. Extra strings are always good to have around.)

Still searching for that magic epiphany of string and instrument for a couple of 'em. You need to mix and match with all kinds of combos until you find it. I'm close.

And I'll say the thing I usually say about Aquilas. Even if you eventually decide that they aren't your cup of poison, they're a good place to start in your string quest because they're pretty distinctive sounding as far as being clear and bright (with perhaps Ko'olau Golds at the other end in terms of being all mids and mellow) which gives you a decent baseline from which to consider other string choices from. That has been my experience at least.

MGM, and the UU store. Only ones I can find within reasonable driving distance around here are Martins. Which are $3-4 on most internets sites, but $8 at Guitar Center.
HUH?

Strings - buy 'em from MGM, always...

As far as what strings I like - well, each uke has had its own preferences. I have Aquilas on my Kanile'as, but when I had Ponos they didn't seem to like the Aquilas very much and to my ear sounded MUCH better with Ko'olau Golds. Tinker around with different brands and find the ones you like best...

Top Bottom