Season 246: Trick or Treat - I want "candy"

Just popped in and gave the first videos a viewing and wow just wow already. So far I've smiled I've laughed hell I even cried a bit.

I will be back later to start a proper playlist and leave a personalized comment for all.

~peace~

Wow 10 videos in the first 24 hours not a bad turn out in my eyes. My comments are duplicated here and on youtube. I will do my best to reply to anyone on whichever format. I'm a bit sad that barefootgypsy will not make it this week as her kind words many months ago pushed me to make my first few video contributions to the seasons. I understand life happens but who knows the week is still young.

If anyone missed it I added the playlist link to the first post.

Thank everyone who has contributed so far my love for ukulele music has been revitalized. Videos up until this point

pabrizzer Original : Candy Nice upbeat bluesy oldtimey sound on this one. Great way to start the show! I wish I could see your fingers move. ;) Nice ukulele!

Rustyy : Chocolate Jesus Great song unknown to me by Tom Waits. Great performance on a very pretty instrument.

Tootler : Coulter's Candy Very nice performance with a great origin story to sweeten the deal. Is that a Bruko?

xommen : Cheese and Candy Great Performance I like the Spanish or Latin vibe I feel from this song. Is that the spruce top? Cheese and candy for the "Keeper of the cheese" asking for candy awesome!

IamNoMan Big Rock Candy Mountain I love the finger work on this its a bit raw a bit sloppy and in being so it is quite perfect with your voice. This is more along the lines of how I try to play, I just don't sing. Yet another stunning instrument.

bird's eye view of my ukelele Cheese and Candy That is one happy little ghost! Awesome yet another song you have taken and made your own. You have a very hypnotic voice and own this. Rock On!

Wolfie is an amazing instrument as well. You haven't put it down.

wee_ginga_yin Candy My mind was blown and then I get to this video. This is some next level right here! Thank you so much. I remember we had bleeding hearts growing in the back of the house when I was small.

turtledrum Oh Babe What Would You Say All I can say is wow very well done. Great choice Thank You! So haunting and somber yet not depressing and upbeat. Just enough reverb or echo just awesome. Yet another beautiful uke.

AlanDP Yummy Yummy Yummy Another song from my childhood. My mom had a huge collection of 45's and I remember spinning that little Buddah records disk many times. What a great version the harmonies the stylophone just great stuff.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters Halloween Candy Another hauntingly somber performance thats just amazing. Great choice great playing and singing. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Season 246 - Old Sweet Shop

The idea came easily enough, the words also - then I had the problem of how to present it - not so sure it's the best way, but here's an experimental multi tracking video.

Watch out for the false endings. ;)

Hi, uke1950!

The idea came easily enough, the words also - then I had the problem of how to present it - not so sure it's the best way, but here's an experimental multi tracking video.

The idea and words are as great as revolution No.9 by the Beatles. We haven't had such nice song last 48 years since White album. :)

photo storage

Wow 10 videos in the first 24 hours not a bad turn out in my eyes. My comments are duplicated here and on youtube. I will do my best to reply to anyone on whichever format. I'm a bit sad that barefootgypsy will not make it this week as her kind words many months ago pushed me to make my first few video contributions to the seasons. I understand life happens but who knows the week is still young.
oh wow that's so kind of you to mention me like that! Well as it happens, I was sitting drinking my 11.00 coffee this morning and this little ditty formed in my head so I thought I'd throw it into the ring! Nothing terribly original about the tune, it's one of those tunes that just crops up everywhere, but I do claim the words! Short and sweet like a roasted maggot. Inspired by a little local spate of scary clown incidents.... and now I'm off sick visiting. Be careful, y'all! :D

Is It Trick Or Is It Treat?

C If you G7 see a F scary C clown
F Roaming C all a D7 round the G7 town
C Give him G7 something F nice to C eat,
F Is it C trick or G7 is it C treat?

F Here’s a C nice big F Brussels C sprout
F That’ll C sort the D7 beggar G7 out!
C Covered in G7 chocolate F nice and C sweet,
F Is it C trick or G7 is it C treat!

This is what I love about The Seasons - you go to bed on a Saturday night, with absolutely no idea that the next day you will be working out and practicing a disco hit from 1975 that, quite honestly, you really don't mind if you never hear again.

...and when I was playing around with "Sugar Candy Kisses", I thought it sounded a bit like another song...and found it was written by the same people.

Historical footnote: Wayne Bickerton & Tony Waddington wrote and recorded a demo version of "Sugar Baby Love" with the intention of entering it in the Eurovision Song Contest. Then they changed their minds and offered it to Showaddywaddy, who turned it down. So the musicians who had played on the demo version agreed to form a real band and promote it. Unfortunately, the singer with the impossibly high voice, Paul DaVinci, was already signed elsewhere, but the rest of them agreed, and became The Rubettes.

But no high notes for me...just a Seasons debut for my Maccaferri Islander, possibly the best use of plastic ever.

I quickly wrote and recorded this one during my lunch break today.

Greetings,

Happy Candy Day for those in the US. I chose the song "Hard Candy" by Counting Crows. It's Halloween colors in the vid, and I could hardly sing but I tried anyway.

I'm surprised that I'm the first to attempt this one. The chord sheets I found had been simplified far too much, and I didn't feel like figuring out all the original chords myself, so I just sort of made up my own arrangement.

The Seasons debut of my Bonanza cherry longneck soprano! "Sugar Mountain" by Neil Young. Happy Halloween!

Wow another 10 wonderful entries in just under 24 hours. It is amazing the amount of talent here shown every week. I'm having so much fun watching each video multiple times thank you all so much. Videos up to this point

uke1950 : Old Sweet Shop Trippy and quite interesting original. Thank you for moving outside the box.

barefootgypsy : Is It Trick Or Is It Treat? What a great fun little original song based around current events. Thank you so very much. Very pretty ukulele.

YorkSteve : Sugar Candy Kisses I had to look up the original I like the 50's vibe Im getting from your performance. Very nice playing. Cant mistake the shape of a baron river ukulele.

YorkSteve : Sugar Baby Love Not one but two great entries back to back. Awesome sound from a plastic ukulele great playing and singing.

Markwo : Trick or Treat (ukulele original) This reminds me of the band The Presidents of the United States a bit, very cool. Another great sounding plastic ukulele. The trick or treat smell my feet lyrics were a gut buster I was thinking of the same thing earlier today.

Ginas uke : Hard Candy While I know you were stressing your voice Im glad you did. You sang this quite well. Thank you very much Cleopatra. ;)

AlanDP : The Candy Man The first entry into the bonus category and what a great entry it is. The video stopped minutes ago yt Im still singing it in my head Great job.

hendulele : Sugar Mountain Another song from my past that I had forgot. Great choice and performance thank you.

bird's eye view of my ukelele : candy Rock on! Is that a fuzzy tiger strap? You have a style that makes everything you do your own, just cant beat that.

frisbee fred : Grapefruit Juicyfruit Not being familiar with the original I gave it a go. I don't dig it, yet this cover I can listen to over and over. Nice playing nice clean sound.

Edit: I believe we have 51.45 minutes of video so far, almost a full hour! You all rock!

Last edited:
A great and topical theme, Al! Whilst trying to find a "sweet themed" song, I came across this masterpiece from 1966, which I could not resist sharing. A naughty Serge Gainsbourg foisted this song upon a sweetly innocent 18 year-old France Gall, who really believed that she was singing about lollipops (sucettes). What am I talking about - this was 1966 - of COURSE it was about lollipops! But those dancers .... (Click on the link below and you'll be redirected to Youtube.)

Last edited:
In memory of the Candy Man himself Mr Gene Wilder AKA Willy Wonka I would like to offer a bonus category of the music of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" Songs from this category will have its own judging and prize.
Spooky I uploaded this one five days ago so its not a new entry grrrrrrrrrr. I 'll have to think of another for the week. (crank up the volume if you wanna give it a listen)

Whilst trying to find a "sweet themed" song, I came across this masterpiece from 1966, which I could not resist sharing. A naughty Serge Gainsbourg foisted this song upon a sweetly innocent 18 year-old France Gall, who really believed that she was singing about lollipops (sucettes). What am I talking about - this was 1966 - of COURSE it was about lollipops!

As Dick Emery would say - "Oooh, you are awful!" :rofl:

I tried doing a creepy version of this but it just didn't work so you're getting pure candy. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom