Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best tenors for Low G tuning?

Pono for sure work really well in my experience. I have a Kanile'a super tenor that seems like it was built for low G, and I also have a Kamaka HF-3L that sounds great with the low G. It all depends on your budget.

I totally agree with DownupDave. A well built uke will sound just as good with either low or high g. 80% of my ukes are strung low g and I personally find that some low g strings sound/feel/last longer than others but its all subjective.

I have tried a bunch of low g strings and have noticed that ( for me ) , its more luthier/brand specific than material specific, i.e., I tend to use Fremont soloist on my Kamakas, I have tried other strings but Fremonts sound best on all my Kamakas to my ears. For Kala, Im using PHD. Ko'olau and Pono, I'm on southcoast etc... I also have some Vietnamese ukes and whilst they are mostly not extremely bad, no amount of string changes can make it sound any where close to the "top shelf" ones, however, worth CTs make them sound as good as a mid priced "mainstream branded" factory made uke.

If I were to pick 1 Uke for low G in a sensible price range bracket, Pono it is.
    Last edited by buganeal; 11-01-2016 at 06:23 AM.
    Citizen of Uketopia

Hell of a deal on a Kala solid mahogany with slotted headstock and case, $255 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-KA-SMHT...0AAOSwo4pYGmsd

I just tried an experiment with a Lehua solid Acacia melanoxylan (blackwood) and a Les Stansell 1/4 scale flamenco guitar(flamenculele) for sound differences. BOTH of them sound noticeably different in how they are held. When they were held with their back against my body (typical position of something with the strap up at the tuners, and it slung across the shoulder and down to the belt line and attached to the bottom of the body) as opposed to a strap attached to the heel of the neck and looped behind the neck and around to the front of one's neck and down to the tail button.. The second way allows the neck to be pushed away from the player's body so the back is exposed and allowed to vibrate and produce sound. The Lehua with the back away from the body sounds much better than the Stansell with the back against me. The Stansell held away is as good as it gets! What ever you have...get it on a strap....or at least its back not jammed up against yours or someone else's stomach

Or grab yourself one of these:

http://www.tone-gard.com

Quote Originally Posted by buganeal View Post
    I totally agree with DownupDave. A well built uke will sound just as good with either low or high g. 80% of my ukes are strung low g and I personally find that some low g strings sound/feel/last longer than others but its all subjective.

I have tried a bunch of low g strings and have noticed that ( for me ) , its more luthier/brand specific than material specific, i.e., I tend to use Fremont soloist on my Kamakas,
    me too. I have 3 tenors in low G. My beater [Islander AT-4], my best all around [Koaloha w/ Baggs], My best sounding[Collings mahog]In my experience a good tenor or bari will sound good reentrant or low g. Sometimes you will have to adjust the uke going to low g, but most times it's an easy swap. If you leave the ends long you can swap back and forth. I think a lot of the sound preference is what you get used to. If you only play high G it make take a few days to let your "ears/brain" adjust. you can always swap back if you don't like it. I like low G for the increased range when fingerpicking, especially if there's no bass/guitar handy to pick up the low notes.I must admit some songs sound beter accompanied by high g. +1 on the freemont soloist.
    Last edited by strumsilly; 11-05-2016 at 08:06 AM.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thread Information