Reviews to come!

Truth is, I don't believe it exists. Just like I don't believe that one can ever not have any desires -- and really, it would be dreadfully boring to run out of desire(s), and probably mean one has ceased to exist.

I like to explore and experience, and before I got into ukes, I'd still meet that "need" for new experiences by buying video games, audio electronics of various types, novels (more than I read) and other books, and Go materials. Just something new to look forward to, something new to be curious and playful about, and to learn from. With ukuleles, this is infinitely harder for me to do, though, as the journey quickly leads to expensive instruments. A video game is at most $60 a piece, a novel costs under $20 usually, so if you end up with a dud, or something that doesn't work for you (for whatever reason), it's not a big deal. But ukes cost much more, so there's the wish to "get it right". But you can't get it right without trying, which for many of us means "buying".

Well, you and I talked about it before. In a way, this forum here fuels these desires by constantly introducing us to new makers, new models, new combinations, new strings. It could, and does, also fuel the desire to become a better player, but buying something new is much easier to do and offers instant if short-lived gratification, and the question whether the next uke around the corner might somehow check all the boxes and magically remove frustrations is always present, fueled again by the NUDs, the videos, the gushing accounts of how great the newest acquisition is.

If I had had the financial means, I'd no doubt have experienced more than 12 or 13 instruments over the course of almost four years, though if I had not been able to do even that, perhaps I'd be a better player now and be happier with the first decent instrument I bought at the beginning of this journey. I do think there is ultimately more satisfaction in playing and learning than there is in buying, but the buying is also fun and educating. The money is spent anyway, so for me the question to myself isn't so much whether it's sensible to buy so many ukes, and still dream of trying out some more, but what else I would have done with the money instead. The answer is, in my case, that I would probably have bought a lot of other stuff, most of which wouldn't have had any kind of resell value and wouldn't have entertained me any more or any better than the ukuleles have.

Key for me feeling better was to be(come) willing to sell things, not just buy them. Before I begun selling some of those instruments that I didn't play, I started to feel like a hoarder. I just felt cluttered. Once I sold and rehomed some of the ukes, I also felt more happy with buying new ones, too.

I know, you didn't ask! :p

My primary instrument is accordion - and when I bought my first good one (20 years ago omg!) it was four and half grand (£) and there was little option to get bored and get another. Funnily enough though, I've never wanted to. It called to me from the top shelf, I picked it up, we were soul mates :)

Maybe ukes are more expensive than video games, but you can still get a very decent instrument for the price many people would spend for a night out ... or a pair of shoes. Or a TV.

Sometimes the responses to this kind of thread (not just ukes I've seen it on other forums) is sadly just the green eyed monster.

If you don't have the cash, obviously you shouldn't be spending on this or anything else.

If you can afford it, then for my money musical instruments are a much better way to spend than the latest piece of technological crap you don't need, and will be obsolete in 18 months.

If people didn't buy multiple instruments, first of all we wouldn't have the wonderful variety available, both low and high end, and also, each instrument you buy and resell (or gift) is an opportunity for someone else to discover the gift of music making at a better they can afford.

My opinion of course, worth what you pay for it :eek:

oh and Mivo? - yeah I feel cluttered too. I'm quite minimalist about possessions. Anything in my house that isn't used in a couple months gets sold or given away. That's just my thing :p If I had the spare cash I'd quite happily buy a uke to try every few months, and if I didn't like it give it away. I'd get huge pleasure in that.

You know, for a town as big as Houston, I am disappointed at how poor the availability of high end ukuleles is here. If I was in CA, I don't think I would have bought as many. I certainly would have tried a lot more :) Although I do like Hawaii made ukes, you can probably see from my collection that I prefer soft wood tops such as cedar and redwood. I feel I have Hawaii pretty well represented though with my KoAloha, Kamaka and Kanile'a models.

I wish we had more ukuleles available locally. This would make my life easier as well.

I showed my wife your picture and told her my ukulele buying could be a lot worse lol.

You have single handedly made everyone here feel ok about their UAS. So thank you and I'm jealous of that wonderful collection. Both are impressive feats.

I wish we had more ukuleles available locally. This would make my life easier as well.

I showed my wife your picture and told her my ukulele buying could be a lot worse lol.

You have single handedly made everyone here feel ok about their UAS. So thank you and I'm jealous of that wonderful collection. Both are impressive feats.

Indeed, he has made all of our lives a little easier.

Merci Beaucoup, Kevin.

:cheers::rock::music:

In Photo:
Kala Spruce top Bass
Kamaka HF-4
Kamaka HF-3L
Compass Rose 5 string Cocobolo/redwood
KoAloha KTMS-00
Kanile'a K2 Super Concert
Kanile'a Koa/Spruce Tenor Silk
Kanile'a K1 Super Tenor
Pono ETSH5-(C)-PC
Pono ETSH-(S)-PC
Pono MTSHC-(C)-PC
Pono ATC-(C)-PC
Mya Moe #1818
Mya Moe #1009
Lanikai LKP-T
Lanikai LU-21B

Sold:
Kamaka HF-3 Anniversary model
Pono MT(S)-PC

I hope that you do get a chance to post reviews. With that group of ukuleles, you could perhaps make some comparisons which could be very interesting. You can bring a unique perspective to your reviews.

What led to you chose that group of ukuleles, and to do so in a short period of time? Any reason that you sold those particular 2 already vs. any of the others?

I assume that you're pretty busy playing ukulele these days, so don't know how much time you'll have to post a response, but I look forward to whatever you can and choose to share.

I hope that you do get a chance to post reviews. With that group of ukuleles, you could perhaps make some comparisons which could be very interesting. You can bring a unique perspective to your reviews.

What led to you chose that group of ukuleles, and to do so in a short period of time? Any reason that you sold those particular 2 already vs. any of the others?

I assume that you're pretty busy playing ukulele these days, so don't know how much time you'll have to post a response, but I look forward to whatever you can and choose to share.

That is a good Idea Joyful. I sure wish I had the knowledge I now have before I started buying. That being said, it has been a great experience and I really have learned a lot about different brands, and wood combinations.

I will make time to do a brief review on all of them soon, and I am open to any questions you may have regarding comparisons.

As far as why I bought these particular ukes in such a short period of time, I was looking for as many different tonal qualities, playability qualities, look/feel etc. as I could possibly get my hands on. Sadly, Houston is not a great market to find and try quality ukuleles in. Also, in the back of my mind, I have performing and recording as part of my mid to long term goals with this instrument. As such, I am looking for different qualities in a performing instrument than I might be in a recording instrument. With regard to recording, I would like multiple voices, maybe one or two strummers (1 high G, 1 low G), and a standout for melody/fingerpicking. For performing, it needs to have a pick-up and work well for vocal accompaniment.

Last edited:
One piece of advise I can share with certainty: Buy used! It is like cars, when you buy them new, they immediately loose tremendous value. If you have no choice, and you know with certainty what you want, and it is a long term keeper, and or you are having something custom made for you, then of course it is different. If you are trying to find what works best for you, buying used will save you a lot of money, and you should be able to sell or trade for similar value to what you initially invest in them if it turns out you don't keep them very long.

One piece of advise I can share with certainty: Buy used! It is like cars, when you buy them new, they immediately loose tremendous value. If you have no choice, and you know with certainty what you want, and it is a long term keeper, and or you are having something custom made for you, then of course it is different. If you are trying to find what works best for you, buying used will save you a lot of money, and you should be able to sell or trade for similar value to what you initially invest in them if it turns out you don't keep them very long.

I certainly agree about buying used and especially from established members here on UU. The 8 ukes I sold here were purchased here used and I pretty much broke even. That allowed me a lot of quality playing time on great instruments like Mya Moe, Compass Rose, Collings etc for virtually little to no money lost.

It also gives you the opportunity to give back to this community in the form of reviews, opinions and education. Many people do not have hands on access to a bunch of great instruments and the sharing of knowledge helps us all.

some great comments. My Kamaka HF-38 has been difficult for me because of the thick neck. it is the same problem I had with the Pono's. When I first started playing the ukulele I played so long that I developed tendonitis in my left palm. Thick neck ukuleles really limit my playing time. My KoAloha tenor is low-G and I love the neck on it. but not only that-- the sound of the KoAloha just fills me. The super tenor was played when I was in a folksy mood, and My KoAloha concert when I play traditional Hawaiian. And this is why I like having so many. Each has its own sound. I was talking with Jake Shimabukuro about this a few years back, and at that time, he only had one ukulele (two actually - one or tour and one for home). But he only brought one out with him but I guess when you are as good as he is, you can make any ukulele sound different. For me, I search out the different tones. Alvin Okami sent me his new Wow and Star Bangled Banger ukuleles. These are soprano size but the banger has a 16 fret neck. The tone on these are immaculate and the volume is like a tenor. These are the only sopranos I now play. Best of luck with your collection.

hi friend, where to buy these?

2016 Uke SA WOW soprano
2016 Uke SA HARMONY WOW soprano
2016 Uke SA STAR SPANGLED BANGER

Top Bottom