Incorporating foot tapping into music

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi, I have begun messing around with adding in foot tapping into my playing. A la James hill with st Anne's reel. I'm just not that good yet, but I'm trying to find good songs to try out with this. I guess I'm looking for songs that are fingerstyle, or chord solo-y, but rhythmic and boisterous enough to not be overwhelmed by the tapping. Any thoughts?

I tap my foot to keep time. I don't know what James Hill is doing, I'll have to find it and watch. But sometimes when I am out playing somewhere, I put a tambourine on the ground and tap it with my foot to give me some percussion. Kind of a one man band.

There are numerous folk and blues artists that incorporate foot tapping, or stomping, in their music very well.

One of my favorites is a veteran blues man from Iowa whose stage name is Catfish Keith. He uses a small wooden platform he built and puts a mike on it. Brilliant musician--especially on slide and fingerstyle guitar.

You could easily find him on Google.

I tap my foot when playing as a matter of course. Nothing complicated for me. Its a common Blues technique a guy called Chris Smither does it VERY well. It beefs up your sound as a One Man Band.

Here's me as a one man band,

Anthony

Folk Songs, Blues, Irish Jigs, Dance Tunes, anything upbeat - all can be embellished with some foot tapping.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, zagabog, that was perfect! Messing around with those videos is making me realize how badly I need a strap if I'm going to keep trying with this. I guess now I need to find a source for non-Campanella jigs and reels.

I wanted to add percussion too and got myself a Farmers Foot pedal w Tamborine and egg shaker attachments. I was only looking for something easily portable and entirely acoustic. Very nice product, but I did not anticipate how tiring it would be. Not having any background in percussion, I had no frame of reference. My drummer son-in-law checked it out and was impressed but he said he could have told me how physical it is, playing a foot pedal. I had figured "foot tapping...I do that already. It'll be cool". WRONG! Well, it is cool, but I will certainly take a lot of practice to get the strength and stamina to use it effectively.

Top Bottom