Blackline Fly3 Bass great cheap combo

I used to be jealous of my friends that had Trace Acoustics compact guitar amps. Wished there was a way to get a 5" cube that sounded like 2 - 15" speakers. The Fly3 Bass pack doesn't sound like a 15" speaker but it's even smaller than the Trace Acoustics amps.

katysax, kohanmike, I ordered the Fly3 Bass pack from Amazon based on your reviews. I had to strap my 80's-era Roland SuperCube Bass amp & Peavey Dyna-Bass onto a dolly & push it a block to get to one ukulele gathering. Now I can carry my amp in a shopping bag! :) Intend to use it for a gig next month.

While waiting for it to arrive, I saw it at a music store & thought 'it's not gonna work - it's waaaay too small'. After unboxing the pack & trying it at home, thought to myself, it's not loud enough. However, it worked fine when I took it to a ukulele group session.

Good for you Ampeep. I have a Chinese 10w with a 4.5" speaker and the Fly 3 out does it hands down.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Not worth it, I'm going to give it to my friend who recently started playing harmonica (I inspired him) and wants a small practice amp.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org

Last edited:
Really usefull thread, thanks. I had already decided to get the Fly 3 Bass later this week but now I'm confident it will fit the bill for practice and club sessions and it will save my taking my Laney AH40 and running mains across the room we use.

My friend gave me a Peavey Max 126 bass amp & I thought - good, I can use that when I need something bigger than my Blackstar Fly 3 Bass pack but less than my Roland. The Peavey has a 6 1/2" speaker & 10 watt output; was really surprised to find that the Blackstar had more bass/midrange was also louder.

My friend gave me a Peavey Max 126 bass amp & I thought - good, I can use that when I need something bigger than my Blackstar Fly 3 Bass pack but less than my Roland. The Peavey has a 6 1/2" speaker & 10 watt output; was really surprised to find that the Blackstar had more bass/midrange was also louder.

About a month ago I bought the same amp from Sweetwater for in home practice, but it was bad out of the box so I returned it and now only use the Fly3.

kohanmike, surprised that you bought the same amp & came to the same conclusion. Thought you would have used your Double Four for home practice.

I liked how the Peavey looked w/ the chickenhead knobs & because it's a lot bigger than the Fly, was expecting good things from it. Peaveys that I've used over the years haven't had the best sound but they were always LOUD.

There's a new Vox Adio Air BS 50W 2x3 Bluetooth Modeling Bass Combo Amplifier. I think this may a nice amp being that it is 50W it's also battery powered. It's suppose to be available next month. Looks like it will be selling for around 300.00
I like that it's 50 watts. You probably can't play it with a drummer but it should be fairly loud. I've not been able to find any sound samples yet.

Vox Air BS

kohanmike, surprised that you bought the same amp & came to the same conclusion. Thought you would have used your Double Four for home practice..

I use the PJD4 for rehearsal twice week and keep it in a gig bag, but don't want to break it out all the time for home practice. I use the Fly 3 once every 6 weeks for hospital gigs, so it sits on my desk plugged into the wall, making it much more convenient for practice

The first amp I used with my bass uke is a Crate Limo 50w 10" speaker with dry cell battery. It was fine for rehearsal and small gigs, but when I used it for an outdoor gig, it couldn't handle it. I bought the Double Four at 70w thinking it would do better, but no, so that became my rehearsal and small venue amp since it's so much lighter and sounded that much better than the Crate.

Last edited:
Last week, my friend let me try another amp, a Fat Boy 15 watt bass amp. It was better than the Peavey, but still not as good as the Blackstar. Am thinking I'd have to go up to a Fender Rumble 40 to get something more than the Blackstar. The thing is the 40 with a 10" spkr is actually bigger than my Roland with a 12" spkr! Decided to order a 4 wheeled luggage cart to bring my current amp if I need to.

I currently use my Blackstar Fly3 bass amp for almost about all practices & gigs. Only used my Fender Rumble 40 twice where I connected to the PA via XLR.

After hearing/trying mine, two bass players have bought the same Blackstar. One plays a ubass & the other plays an upright acoustic bass.

Much thanks to those who posted in this thread - I never would have considered it.

Many thanks to all of you for talking about this amp combo. I have had my bass for a week and am enjoying it very much. Lot of grinning as I learn and practice.
The amp arrived today and now I am into another level of grinning.

As I read over this thread since last week I kept wondering if all the positives being said about this amp could really be true. Yes, they are!!
I do not have a preamp on my bass and wonder if it will be even better sounding with a bass that has a preamp.
Any thoughts?

I think for world ukulele day I will try my first circle with the bass.

John

Top Bottom