Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uke group bass players roll call

Patrick,

Is your Chennell one of the Arco basses. Those look very intriguing.

Thanks for the heads-up Katysax. I'll look into the Blackstar

Katy mine is from his arch top jazz ukes. Jazzboxukes.com. Look in Emporium section then scroll down to Xander.

His stand up basses are unreal especially the Argo basses. Chennell string instruments.

Last Thursday when I ordered the Fly 3 Bass from B&H it was on sale for $99. I opted for overnight delivery for $63 so I could have it for my hospital gig today, but B&H screwed up and didn't deliver it until yesterday, so they're refunding the $63.

The rig did a great job, very good bass sound and kept the volume on the lower side. It certainly sounds better than my 10w Chinese amp, which actually isn't basscentric as the Fly 3 is.

Sounds, no pun intended, like a great deal Mike. Will check it out. I think it was you who suggested the Phil Jones Double 4 amp. Best little amp I've had so far. Especially when using the computer battery with it.

Yep, PJD4 is my go to for rehearsal and all our small gigs, then my Carvin MB15 200/250 combo for larger gigs, adding a Carvin 115MBE extension cabinet for even larger gigs, and now the Fly 3 Bass for those roaming hospital gigs. I think I have the bases (pun intended) covered.

I agree, I don't play with a uke group but with a small acoustic band. We have no percussion. My main concern is to set a good beat/rhythm and harmonize well on the bass line. That does mean lots of roots and fifths, but there are opportunities for arpeggios, walking bass, etc. if you pay attention to the music. It does require some advance preparation with the music, but the more I do that, the easier it gets to do it on the fly.

I'm just starting out with Ubass, my main club has 2 bass players and the one guy is giving lessons, but they're on a day I have other commitments.

I've been playing along with another group, though...pretty basic stuff, I use the group to practice with, since it's hard to practice alone at home. I'm getting the hang of it and I think it sounds decent, but I don't do anything fancy, just throw in a few 5ths once in a while.

I have a Kala Rumbler and an Orange Crush 25, works good for what I do...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Been playing Ukulele bass in two local groups since being diagnosed with spinal cancer last year. I've been playing electric bass for twenty plus years in an electro pop three piece we formed at school. My best friends (and band mates) clubbed together whilst I was in hospital and bought me a Kala UBass. It's so light I can still play it comfortably. I miss playing my two Fender basses in the band, and it upsets me to even think about it, but the UBass has been a fantastic instrument. I look at it when its plugged in and still can't believe such a powerful sound can come from the thing. I managed to save up for a bit and got myself a Markbass Micromark 801 1x8 combo. I daren't even try to lift my normal SWR 300w gigging amp anymore. I bought a Hartke HD25 amp before Christmas last year, It's a lovely amp, sounds great, well built, but at over 10kg I was still struggling to lift it. The MicroMark is only 5.2kgs. It's tiny, with a 1x8 speaker. It's so loud too! Very simple controls, just two knobs, a volume and a variable frequency eq knob. I love the yellow and black styling too.

Although it has been heartbreaking to be diagnosed with terminal cancer, they say that good things always come out of bad situations. I would never have found the UBass, never have found my three beloved Ukes or made so many new friends both online here and at the two Ukulele groups I go to.

I have found I have simplified my playing quite a lot for the UBass, but thats no bad thing to learn playing in a new style. I have recently changed string type too, going from the UBass Rubber or Aquilla Reds to the UBass nickel wound nylon. I am finding myself more at home with these strings as they feel more like traditional electric bass strings. They still have the UBass bass and thud :-)
    Last edited by Fuzzbass; 04-04-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    Fuzzbass (Steve 45)

Kamoa 500 T Tenor
    Rob Collins Tin Guitar Sapele Soprano
    Kala Mahogany U Bass
    Kala KA-STE-C Tenor
    Noah Monkeypod Electro Concert

Fuzzbass, thanks for sharing your story. I am inspired by your positive outlook on life & wish you all the best.

Thread Information