Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of Cedar Tops?

OK, I'm convinced! I think my next ukulele will definitely have a cedar top. I'm aware of the softness/lack of dent and scratch resistance issues, and frankly, that doesn't bother me much. My instruments are for playing, not for display in a glass case. Next, I need to dispose of a couple that aren't getting much play time for some cash and storage space.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    I like cedar for soprano & concert ukes because it mellows them a bit (in some cases - not all).

For tenors & up, the only *cedar* I like is Port Orford *cedar* from Oregon. (By the way, it isn't really cedar but cypress -- so WHY do we call it cedar, I wonder?)
    I have no idea. The tree we erroneously call a red cedar (Juniperous virginiana) is actually a juniper.

I've never owned a cedar top uke, but my mahogany top uke is pretty beat up, from fingernail dents. If it was cedar, it would probably look pretty bad.
    Last edited by Nickie; 11-20-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I currently have two cedar top baris and love them both. One is from an obscure Appalachian luthier and has a minimal satin finish. It gets played a lot and shows significant wear from strumming. I'm not bothered by this. It's my beater and has a warm full tone and good sustain. The other is a Pono PC. It too gets lots of play, but with its high gloss finish it is holding up quite well. It also has a lovely warm sound but has more clarity than the other Bari. It has perhaps a bit less depth and resonance.

I have 2 cedar top ukuleles. Both sound very nice, especially for fingerpicking. Excellent response.

One thing I have found, at least for me, is that you can't drive the soundboard like a koa top.

John

I have one cedar topped uke, specifically for fingerpicking, certainly no complaints about the tone. If (when?) I buy another ukulele I'd be torn whether to get one in koa or another cedar top. Only because I don't have an all koa ukulele. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I have 2 cedar top ukuleles. Both sound very nice, especially for fingerpicking. Excellent response.

One thing I have found, at least for me, is that you can't drive the soundboard like a koa top.

John
    It will be primarily for fingerpicking, so I'm not terribly concerned about driving it for volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I have one cedar topped uke, specifically for fingerpicking, certainly no complaints about the tone. If (when?) I buy another ukulele I'd be torn whether to get one in koa or another cedar top. Only because I don't have an all koa ukulele. Yet.
    I've got my all-koa ukulele (a KoAloha concert) and I love it, but it's BRIGHT and loud. Sometimes I want something soft and cozy and honey-smooth. I think cedar is going to meet my needs.
    Larry

A follow-up: I just pulled the trigger on a Pono ATD-CR Tenor ukulele (acacia body, cedar top) from HMS. With a little luck and the gods smiling on me, I should have my new baby by Christmas. I'm pretty pleased.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    My best sounding and playing uke is a Kala solid cedar top tenor cutaway with preamp, KAATP-CTG-CE.

that was my first :real" uke, and one I'm sorry I sold. cedatops rock!
    there is no substitute for LOVE

I agree. Cedar Tops Rock. I own only one, a Kala concert. I love the tone. That said, it is a little dark and some may even call it muddy sounding. Especially with a low G. But sometimes I like a darker sound. The cedar top is loud, resonant, and enjoyable every time I play it.
    ===================
    Sopranos: Kamaka Gold Label, Martin S1 (Mexico, currently in violin tuning for my wife), ??Regal?? no-name, Dixie Banjo-lele
    Concerts: Mele Mahogany, Kala Traveler, Kala KA-ACP-CTG (slot head, cedar top, acacia back/sides, low G), Gretsch G9112 Resonator (low G)
    Tenors: Kala KA-ASAC-SP-TGE-C-MM Marcy Marxer, RipTide Mahogany A/E
    Baritone: Silvertone
    U-Bass: Kala Hutch Hutchinson

I have a mainland concert Cedar top http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pro...c?productId=12

I bought it after I heard my wifes Kala Cedar top tenor. They are both great sounding and playing ukuleles.

Thread Information