Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbrush mini compressor + precision router base?

Default Airbrush mini compressor + precision router base?

Hi everyone, has anyone ever used one of these mini compressors e.g. Vogue Air around 20 on ebay, connected to the dust blower port on the Stewmac precision router base? If so, is it powerful enough to blow dust away when routing for inlay etc? I've used a tyre compressor with good effect, but because it is 12v , I also have to use an old car battery charger with it. Just want to simplify the set up. Thanks Mike.

Simple as it gets a la Kekani and Chuck Moore. A piece of masking tape wrapped around the cutting tool shank and left to flap away the dust. Works great and cheap as it gets. There's a past thread on this somewhere here.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

I use an aquarium pump I got at a garage sale for about 20 cents. Works great. Blows away dust just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    Simple as it gets a la Kekani and Chuck Moore. A piece of masking tape wrapped around the cutting tool shank and left to flap away the dust. Works great and cheap as it gets. There's a past thread on this somewhere here.
    At one point Chuck was going to market a version of the tape flag for sale, but we could never get together to discuss my royalties. Now it's open source and we're ok with that. . .
    Truth be told, I'm still waiting. . .

Thanks everyone. The tape trick sounds interesting, I'll have to experiment.How big does the "flag" have to be? Does it not affect the balance of the cutter at such high speed? And Sequoia, I've tried a small aquarium pump but it's not powerful enough, and unless I'm lucky enough to find one at a sale, it would probably be expensive. Cheers.
    Last edited by mikeyb2; 11-22-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Dremel supply this device to blow away the dust..but a piece of tape is cheaper
    dust blower.jpg (click on image to enlarge.)
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Dremel supply this device to blow away the dust..but a piece of tape is cheaper
    dust blower.jpg (click on image to enlarge.)
    yes Ken, thanks, i've seen that but thought it may obscure the view a little, and like you say tape is cheaper. Mike.

I bought the stew mac dust pump thing as it was only $14 or so- It's sucks in its inability to blow- use the tape method.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    I bought the stew mac dust pump thing as it was only $14 or so- It's sucks in its inability to blow- use the tape method.
    Me too. I used the tube that came with the SM air pump and connected to my pancake compressors blow gun.It work great at 20psi.

Here's what we're talking about. The tape trick works perfectly. If StewMac could make money from them you can bet they'd be selling them. They make more money from their pumps though. I think Aaron was selling these flags for $10 each. I'm having a Black Friday sale, 2 for $25 or 3 for $50. Plans are available. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thread Information