Airbrush mini compressor + precision router base?

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone ever used one of these mini compressors e.g. Vogue Air around £20 on ebay, connected to the dust blower port on the Stewmac precision router base? If so, is it powerful enough to blow dust away when routing for inlay etc? I've used a tyre compressor with good effect, but because it is 12v , I also have to use an old car battery charger with it. Just want to simplify the set up. Thanks Mike.

Simple as it gets a la Kekani and Chuck Moore. A piece of masking tape wrapped around the cutting tool shank and left to flap away the dust. Works great and cheap as it gets. There's a past thread on this somewhere here.

Thanks everyone. The tape trick sounds interesting, I'll have to experiment.How big does the "flag" have to be? Does it not affect the balance of the cutter at such high speed? And Sequoia, I've tried a small aquarium pump but it's not powerful enough, and unless I'm lucky enough to find one at a sale, it would probably be expensive. Cheers.

Last edited:
Dremel supply this device to blow away the dust..but a piece of tape is cheaper ;)
dust blower.jpg (click on image to enlarge.)

I bought the stew mac dust pump thing as it was only $14 or so- It's sucks in its inability to blow- use the tape method.

Here's what we're talking about. The tape trick works perfectly. If StewMac could make money from them you can bet they'd be selling them. They make more money from their pumps though. I think Aaron was selling these flags for $10 each. I'm having a Black Friday sale, 2 for $25 or 3 for $50. Plans are available. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Attachments

• P1040937.jpg
    P1040937.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1040938.jpg
    P1040938.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
I tried the tape trick this afternoon and it works fine( not that I doubted what has been said on here). Like resoman said , it couldn't get much simpler. Thanks Mike.
and thanks for the pictures Chuck.

It's actually curly koa with rot. I get more rotten koa than good koa, so I use it to make jigs, which freaks people out. Have to do something with it.

I had the opportunity to test the tape trick today when routing the channel for my gecko inlay. It works just as advertised, great! I have the StewMac blower, but as mentioned earlier, it sucks! This tape flag is the way to go, however, I was surprised at how loud it was until I cut it back a bit. My tape is now 3/8" deep and about 1/2" long and does a great job of removing all the dust. A vacuum setup to suck up the blown around dust would be good for those who care about their health, but I just wore a mask instead.

Bob

Attachments

• Flag fan.jpg
    Flag fan.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 20
Just to say that my cheap airbrush compessor (special offer from Lidl) works fine with the Stewmac base - useless for spraying lacquer though! I have also used my Ryobi battery powered portable tyre pump/inflator with good results, but now intend to give the tape trick a try!

Just to say that my cheap airbrush compessor (special offer from Lidl) works fine with the Stewmac base - useless for spraying lacquer though! I have also used my Ryobi battery powered portable tyre pump/inflator with good results, but now intend to give the tape trick a try!
Paul, the tape trick works unbelievably well and it's so simple, I feel embarassed that I didn't think of it myself. Cheers Mike.

Top Bottom