Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a fan of the Low G on my Fender Nohea Tenor

Default Not a fan of the Low G on my Fender Nohea Tenor

I installed my first set of new strings, after nine months. I used the Aquilla low G set on my Fender Nohea. The first thing I noticed after getting all strings close enough in tune to strum was the overwhelming "house bass" sound the low G brings to this instrument. I was shocked because I also play bass and thought the addition of the lower octave would somehow unlock Metallica "Fade to Black" and the low G of "Careless Whisper." Having my cake but not eating it sums it up. I really enjoy the banjo pluck feel of the high G but thought I could somehow sacrifice it for the low and maintain the instruments vibe. Not so unfortunately in my case. It is a representation of the instrument as well, and that's fine for me. I had decided that it was time for my first addition and upgrade to my uke family prior to this revelation, so I'm not bothered. I'll just go back to the high G and play it the way I like. Lastly, having only changed out guitar and bass strings for the past 3 decades, I've discovered that old strings feel like stale fishing line, and new strings feel like Twizzlers.

Maybe try some different strings? I'm not a big fan of Aquila in general though I have never tried low g. Maybe try a set of Worth clears, Oasis brights, or Southcoast LMU-NW
    http://www.southcoastukes.com/uku-nw.htm
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I'm fine with Aquilla for now. I was just surprised at how different the instrument sounded with the low G. High G, at least on this instrument, is where it'll have to be and I'm quite okay with it.

I have a Kala concert and I restrung with low G Aquila a few months ago. I was disappointed too. It turned out that the wound G string was a piece of crap. It got totally chewed up in a couple of weeks. Big dents where it hit the frets. The guys at he shop replaced it with a classical guitar D string and it sounds great. Two months later and the string is still in great shape. I'll never get a wound Aquila again.

I really like the wound low G, I feel it sounds low but not thudding like a fluorocarbon low G. I agree the Aquila wound low G does start to look shabby quite quickly, but that's the only issue I have with them.

Any recommendations for another brand of wound low G for tenor?

I'm looking into the Kala SMTHE solid mahogany tenor.

I would think low G might sound best on a solid body use, but I would only be guessing. It could also be the nut on my Fender Nohea isn't wide enough to accept the low G, although before I strung it up I laid it down in the groove and it was able to ,over back and forth with a little resistance from the string winding.

Hi yookalaylee

You were using a wound or unwound low G? Since you are a bass player, you might find a wound low G more to you liking. It makes a big difference.

It's a wound string. I use flat wound bass strings. It's my belief that my preference, as well as the instrument itself, just aren't setup for the low G and that's okay!��

My experience with strings is that you can't generalize experiences with one product, even between the same materials. On my Barron River tenor, the low-G string that had the least boom and fit with the trebles the best is the Fremont Soloist. It's a single low-G string, sold individually (eBay is a good source). It's by far the most pleasant low-G strong on my instrument. I also liked the Thomastik-Ineld CF30 guitar string, but it stood out a bit more. Aquila's low-G wound RED string also worked. Everything else I tried was definitely not working for me.

But I understand not liking low-G. I like it some days and other days I don't (and start thinking about getting a guitar). If I only had one ukulele, it would be high-G (my sopranos are all re-entrant, and one tenor in high-G and one in low-G). The "typical ukulele sound" is lost for me with a low-G, but it nevertheless sounds beautiful (but like a different type of instrument). Ultimately, I prefer re-entrant tuning with a high 4th string (either G or an A, when using D tuning).

Thread Information